Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Budgets: The Hows and Whys

Budgets: The Hows and Whys (Page 2)
ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
Hey, I'm really getting the hang of this budget-thing.

Your budget sucks! How are you going to pay for pizza?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
The only reason I JUST started (a few years ago) was because I would up with over $300K in school bills and family loans that I religiously paid back over those 3 years when I started work.
Please tell me how you did this, - NOW!

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hugi

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Any chance you could post a link to a template of your budget? I'm hopeless with Excel's formulas.
You bet -- I'll "clean up" my budget file and make it available later this morning from work -- keep checking back!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 08:17 AM

Great discussion.
My wife and I have a sort of ``beginner's budget", which we started a few months ago. That budget is simply this: each Saturday morning, we each pull out $80 in cash. That cash is all the money we have to spend during the week -- on clothes, food, movies, everything that isn't a fixed bill like the utilities.

If we want to buy something expensive, we simply set aside $20 or $30 or whatever at the start of the week, and accumulate cash for a couple of months until we can buy the item.

The method isn't sophisticated, and it doesn't let us track exactly how much we spend on each of those categories. But it has a couple of advantages:
* Gets us thinking in a `budget' mindset -- do I want to go out to lunch today, if it means I can't save up for some new clothes at the end of the week?
* It's cash, so we feel it. As my wallet gets thinner during the week, I know to pinch corners.
I had tried a debit-card budget, so that I'd know where every expenditure went, but the debit card money didn't feel ``real" and I found it harder to stick to the budget. Cash feels real.

Anyway, I'd suggest something like this for those of you just getting started, in combination with a regular budget like Maury's for the recurring items like savings, rent/mortgage, utilities, etc.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 10:44 AM

Okay, I've cleaned-up my "fancy" budget (the one I use, not the "beginner" budget I usually give to people) and made it available for download. You can get it here:

http://www.railheaddesign.com/downlo...ous/Budget.sit

Let me know if you have any questions,
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 11:52 AM

You compressed it with Stuffit? o_O

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
You compressed it with Stuffit? o_O
Yep.

But here's a Zip version if someone wants one:

http://www.railheaddesign.com/downlo...ous/Budget.zip

Maury

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 12:03 PM

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
First off, great topic andi. Second, thank you to Maury for all of the info I've been able to gleen from reading the thread.

I desperately need to start budgeting better (I do it, but not well.) I think I get bogged down in minutia - is the gas expense $29.35 or $29.99? LOL

Here are the challenges in budgeting for our "family" (me and my wife
  • I've recently become self-employed and do not have steady income. It comes in at uneven intervals (when clients pay) - which is both a challenge and a reason to budget
  • My wife has health issues that cause her prescription bills to be $500/month or more. Not a big deal, considering we meet the deductible in February every year! But still, the reimbursment checks from the insurance come irregularly.
  • My wife also has two home-based businesses. She sells Body Shop at Home and also sells handmade jewelry. The Body Shop money is in a seperate account. The jewelry is "fun money."

I'm getting my business going well enough now that I'll actually be making more than I was at my last job soon, but I also need to take a large sum out for taxes in April!

Maury - any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. My email is pretty easy to guess (dave at my username.) PMs work too.
You're in a not-uncommon situation, and all you have to do is work out a monthly cash-flow plan -- a budget -- that lists all the various items you'll have to pay, just like "normal." Any way you slice it, you have to pay mortgage/rent, utilities, and all that regardless of when the money comes in, so go ahead and make a budget of anticipated *monthly* expenses.

Here's where you'd do things differently that others: get another sheet of paper (or spreadsheet, whatever you're using) and make three columns: Item, Amount, Cumulative Amount.

Now look over your budget. We're going to prioritize them by importance, and the way to approach this is to think to yourself "if I only have enough money to pay for ONE thing, what would it be?" Find it, mark it on your budget (so you know that you've already picked it), and write its info on your new sheet under the Item and Amount columns.

Next, think to yourself "if I only have enough money to pay for ONE thing, what would it be?" Find it, mark it on your budget (so you know that you've already picked it), and write its info on your new sheet.

Rinse and repeat until you've marked off everything on your budget, and when you do, you have all your financial NECESSITIES in order of importance. That's key number one: you need to identify true necessities not things that you want to be necessities.

In the Cumulative Amount column, total all the amounts above that line item, all the way down your page like in this little screen shot:

Now, when you get a check for $100, $1000, or $2000 -- or whatever -- you can look at your prioritized list and see where that money needs to go and what all that money can cover. As soon as you can cover it, pay it, and get ready for the next items in your monthly list.

It's a little (a lot) more difficult to maintain because it does require more work, but once you get the hang of it, you'll begin to totally master your money and know *exactly* where every penny goes. Not only that, because you and your wife have prioritized everything, you can rest assured the really important items are taken care of like shelter, food, utilities, etc.

Does that make any sense at all?

Maury

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:42 PM

Good budgets will help you save money. But one way to save money real fast despite the budget plans, is to open a savings account the deposit the money you were planning to spend on something that you could live without. Its pretty surprising that one can live a life for a short duration at least ver simply. So for example, you want to buy that new ipod? Ok assume that you did and put that 300 odd bucks into that savings account, bam! Just try this for a 3-4 months you will see how effective this is! You can close some cc accounts pretty fast this way as well.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 03:37 PM

You da man Railhead!

I want to add that although people are talking about budgeting their bills and spending, I think it's important to budget savings. Don't just budget expenses and then save what's left over. Count your savings as a line item and then actually "spend" it by putting it in an account somewhere. Otherwise you end up treating savings as an afterthought that may or may not happen depending on whether you follow your budget.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
You da man Railhead!

I want to add that although people are talking about budgeting their bills and spending, I think it's important to budget savings. Don't just budget expenses and then save what's left over. Count your savings as a line item and then actually "spend" it by putting it in an account somewhere. Otherwise you end up treating savings as an afterthought that may or may not happen depending on whether you follow your budget.
YES YES YES!

Savings should be a line item -- thanks for bringing that up. I have it in my downloadable budget, labeled ING Savings. I highly recommend ING Direct if you want a decent return on money for an account that's meant to never be touched for anything but emergencies.

This brings up another issue, too: where to keep money. We keep a small "emergency fund" and our basic savings at our local bank in town. That way, if I ever need the money for an emergency *now*, I can just pop-in and get it. This little emergency fund is kept at right around $5000, and our regular savings is in there, too (like Christmas, taxes, etc.).

We then use our online ING Direct account (if you're interested in setting one up, I can refer you and you'll get $25 and I'll get $10 -- just PM me) for our fully funded emergency fund which holds a minimum of $20,000. Anything over this $20k is just money made on the interest, and we never touch it since it's meant to be there if one of us were to lose our job ($20k can get us by for up to 8 months, easy, with one paycheck, while the other secures a job). This fund is NOT designed to make money, and we only get 3% on it -- but that's a LOT better than what our bank offers.

Other investment savings are, of course, at places like Vanguard and the like.

Maury

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Your budget sucks! How are you going to pay for pizza?
First rule of financials: Everything you can't afford, you mooch off of your friends .

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:50 PM

Just wanted to thank Railhead for the template

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Just wanted to thank Railhead for the template
NP. Let me know if you have any questions.

Maury

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 06:00 PM

Will do.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 06:04 PM

Just two quick questions.

1. Is there a way to remove the dollar sign(I'm using NeoOffice btw)
2. I get paid monthly. Would it cause any problems with the template(the calculations etc) to remove the second pay period?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Just two quick questions.

1. Is there a way to remove the dollar sign(I'm using NeoOffice btw)
2. I get paid monthly. Would it cause any problems with the template(the calculations etc) to remove the second pay period?
1. The dollar signs are being displayed because those cells are formatted as currency. I've never used NeoOffice (though I'll download it after this), so I'm not sure you go about adjusting cell formatting.

2. The only thing that will "break" will be the totals in the red summary box. All you'd need to do is modify the formulas in those cells so they only point to the first pay period's cells.

Maury

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
1. The dollar signs are being displayed because those cells are formatted as currency. I've never used NeoOffice (though I'll download it after this), so I'm not sure you go about adjusting cell formatting.

2. The only thing that will "break" will be the totals in the red summary box. All you'd need to do is modify the formulas in those cells so they only point to the first pay period's cells.

Maury
I should be able to find the currency settings. Shouldn't be that difficult and I should have found it on my own.

I decided to keep the second part and have that one for my fiancee. We are working in different locations at the moment and she is hauling in a lot more money than I do so I thought it would be better to split the earnings so she can benefit more from the money she is getting at the moment instead of the typical 50/50 split of all money coming in.

Thanks for the quick replies.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:21 PM

Wow, NeoOffice changes things a bit -- mostly on the graph, though. But to change the formatting, select the cells with dollar signs and go to Format/Cells and you can change it to whatever you want from there. I don't know what you're wanting to change them to, but that's where you'll do it.

As for the formulas in the red box, remove all the references to any cell in column G and you should be okay.

HTH,
Maury

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 07:03 PM

Thanks again!

boardsurfer
Jun 23, 2005, 07:41 PM

Maury, thanks for the template, that must have been a lot of work to get off the ground.

by the way, you left some info in June. Dont know if you care or not.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:06 PM

This is great... though now I realized just how much I need a job before I move out

Seriously though I heard home depot was hiring...

It was weird to see how just buying food every now and again and figuring out how much that'd likely cost is going to kill whatever money I make. Oh well, I just hope I can get a decent ministry paying job soon...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by boardsurfer
Maury, thanks for the template, that must have been a lot of work to get off the ground.

by the way, you left some info in June. Dont know if you care or not.
Yeah, those are just some play numbers I left in there so you could see how the calculations are done.

Glad you liked the file!

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 10:05 AM

I also have a spreadsheet for debt payoff if anyone wants me to clean it up for use, too. Just let me know. It also has some sheets for investment outcomes, figuring out how much to go into 401k and Roth, etc.

Maury

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2005, 04:03 PM

hi maury,

thanks for the spreadsheet, yeah? it's brilliant - my wife's looking rather surprised that i've finally got around to getting a budget sorted

one thing i added which other people might be interested in is a column on the right hand side of "for savings" and "variable expenses" +/-s - if you put in a formula to add the +/- from the previous month (eg. for cell e15 in july it'd be"=Jul.E11+B15-C15" in neooffice/j) you can keep track of your cumulative savings / overspending in each row. for example, if you don't spend your eating out allowance one month it'll add it on to the next, and you can either buy a kick arse dinner or transfer the $ out to buy some cds.

just a thought, anyway. cheers again, maury!

sminch

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 04:07 PM

I'm glad I could help! After all this time, I've never setup the form to do that...I may kick that around this weekend.

Maury

Forum Links
Forum Rules