Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Purchasing an Imac: LCD question

Purchasing an Imac: LCD question
pete
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 04:11 PM

Can somebody compare the quality of the LCD on the 17" vs. 20" imacs? What about the 17" compared to the 17 and 15" powerbooks?

I can't really afford to get the 20" imac, but if there is a big difference in quality between the two I might push my budget a little.

Would love some input from those who have seen both side by side.

thanks!

italiano
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 04:54 PM

Once you play with the 20" the 17" seems underdeveloped... I am in love with my 20"
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 05:29 PM

To go the other way, I "graduated" from a 15" G4 iMac to the 17" G5 and couldn't be happier -- single stuck-on-red pixel-in-the-upper-right-of-my-screen aside.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 05:38 PM

But what about the quality of the actual display? For example, there's a huge difference between the 12" display and the 15" display on the powerbooks. Is the difference as huge on the imacs?

Thanks again...

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 08:42 AM

Would buying a used rev A imac 20" be a risky thing to do in terms of problems? There seem to have been quite a few reports of problems. I could save probably $500 that way...

Thanks

delfmen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2005, 11:15 AM

best bet would be to check it out in the store if you have one near you (there are a bunch in NY)

one i saw the 20" iMac i had to have it. the scree size is perfect in my opinion not too small and not so big that you have to turn your head to see opposite sides of the screen.

i agree that after playing on the 20" the 17" just doesn't seem to cut it.

italiano
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2005, 04:50 PM

I bought a Revision A from our local COMPUSA - Manager's Special for $1499 ( They made it $1399 when I got THEIR extended Warranty)... 20" New in the box - works sweeeet so far - no dead pixels, no noise problems - time will tell if I have problems but with 3 years of Warranty I'm not too worried.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

belafonte
Aug 5, 2005, 05:52 PM

i use my imac for doing photo editing for my business and 17 is big enough, you'll have plenty of space with the 17, seriously the only way i would want bigger is if i got like the 30.. and you only get a screen that big to impress other people...

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:14 PM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the two screens? I'm fine with the 17" as long as it is bright and sharp. If the 20" is much brighter and sharper I'll try to extend my budget a little.

Yes, I need to go see for myself. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance. I've seen them in person but I really didn't compare then..

thanks

marc
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2005, 10:29 PM

To my eye they look the same. I have the 17"" and I am very pleased with it.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks....

volcano
Senior User
Aug 7, 2005, 01:08 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that the display on the 20" iMac has the same clarity, quality, and specs of the Apple 20" Cinema Display. As for the 17", it doesn't come close to it. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for the 20" - you won't regret it. I don't know what kind of work you intend to pursue on your iMac - but I do intense graphic work everyday, and everytime I open up Photoshop I'm thankful that I opt'ed for the 20" screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules