Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac: I'm in the Apple Store

New iMac: I'm in the Apple Store
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2002, 07:42 PM

Wow, it's much better in person.

1) The screen is much larger then I thought I would. It also looks much better with a keyboard and mouse in front of it.

1.5) The sound is great (much better then the "old" iMac) You could actually have a party and run the music off of it without running it through your PC

2)The screen is very bright. Just as bright as the 22" LCD display.

3) OSX runs rather fast... I would say like the 733 G4 tower...

4) The box it comes in is VERY small. Like a 12" x 12" box...

It is nice to be around Mac people... I think they just got a PC guy to buy a new PC :-) It's a nice day to buy an Apple

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 11:03 PM

Wow, so the stores are getting them already? Nice!

How did that monitor and swing arm feel? Did it move as easily as claimed, and did it feel sturdy?

Aagh, I am trying to hold out to at least see what the Power Macs will be up to...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 11:16 PM

What programs were on the iMac? Did you get to try out any games? How does the base of the iMac look?

yomammasmokeschiba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 12:40 AM

I saw the new iMac in the New Jersey store tonight. The base looked a lot bigger then I thought it would. The screen was bright, and very sharp looking. The screen moved really fluidly and stayed in place well. Only time will tell how well it holds up after heavy use. Anyone interested in torture-testing the neck?
I'm not sure that the new base really saves that much space. The new screen is beautiful, but it would be a mistake to buy one to make more room on your desktop. I would have prefered something detachable so that the CPU could be stashed to the side and the screen moved further back on the desk. I'm kind of tall and have long arms, so the more room I have in front of me, the more comfortable I am.
The plastic base looked kind of cheap. I would think that something so revolutionary would have used a more exotic material or finish.

The store had the demo of office x, AOL, a short preview for monsters Inc, and the usual default icons in the dock. There were a few more, but I didn't get a good look since I was more interested in the design then the demo apps.
'Nuff said.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2002, 10:23 AM

The Apple Store at Clarendon Virginia (where I was last night) had a bunch of applications loaded onto the machine. Office, Adobe Illustrator, AOL, and Painter were on, but no games.

The LCD is very sturdy. Steve W. made it seem as though it would swing with little or no resistance. That is not the case. They could place a 17" LCD on this thing with few modifications.

I was a little disappointed in the sales force. I asked a few technical questions regarding the LCD connection and they gave me a "deer in headlights" look. I know it's a new product, but it was important. They eventually asked the guru in back and he wasn't sure. He took my e-mail and said that he would find out (always a good sign of quality sales, hope he follows up)

Like yomammasmokeschiba said, the base is a little bigger then I thought, but with the keyboard, mouse, and speakers it really looked good. I'm not thrilled about the materials. I'm a lean 6' 1" guy and couldn't help to notice that my hands started to perspire when using the mouse. I guess I'm just used to my M$ job. The keyboard is also white. That doesn't thrill me. It looks great now, but give it a few years! I will have the coolest yellow keyboard on the block.

I feel confident that someone will come up with a way to remove the LCD from the base, and then I will be happy. I would like to use the LCD for a few of my machines if at all possible. Time will tell.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 10:50 AM

Do all the Apple stores have the new iMac? BTW, did you use the 800mhz or 700mhz iMac?

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2002, 01:18 PM

To answer xyber233:

1) I don't know about ALL the Apple Stores, but the two in the DC area do.

2) They only have the 800MHz version out...

It was sad to show my roommate the new iMac brochure only to hear "Geee [mitchell_pgh] these are really slow machines..." I guess he, like 90%+ of the pupulation, doesn't know about the MHz myth...

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>
It was sad to show my roommate the new iMac brochure only to hear "Geee [mitchell_pgh] these are really slow machines..." I guess he, like 90%+ of the pupulation, doesn't know about the MHz myth...</STRONG>
Quick! Drag that friend of yours to the nearest Apple store, sit him in front of the new iMac and get him to use it. Then ask him if he still thinks it's slow.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 02:03 PM

Well spank my monkey! I want one too!

Come September i'm either getting the highest level iMac or a nmidrange p[ortable. Gotta be sharp!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
<STRONG>

Quick! Drag that friend of yours to the nearest Apple store, sit him in front of the new iMac and get him to use it. Then ask him if he still thinks it's slow. </STRONG>
He later went with me... He didn't understnad the GUI... thought it was strange... Just about the time he started thinking it was cool, the MP3's started skipping... :-(

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2002, 02:56 PM

A co-worker of mine is in the market for a new computer. I gave him a MacMall catalog but he didn't like the iMacs and the PowerMacs were too expensive for him. Yesterday he asked me if I saw the new iMacs. I brought it up on the web for him and he loved it and might get one. Hopefully this will happen a lot. Even if Apple just gaines 5% market share that means their sales would double.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2002, 03:07 PM

<STRONG>Wow, it's much better in person.

It is nice to be around Mac people... I think they just got a PC guy to buy a new PC :-) It's a nice day to buy an Apple</STRONG>

You are in an Apple store and you can't get him to buy an Apple?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2002, 03:38 PM

Opps, they just got him to buy an Apple... or did

<ctishue>
Jan 10, 2002, 04:17 PM

Do these stores actually have the machines in stock to purchase or do they just have their floor models for the time being?

Chris

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 10, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ctishue&gt;:
<STRONG>Do these stores actually have the machines in stock to purchase or do they just have their floor models for the time being?

Chris</STRONG>
They don't go on sale till the 21st.

Iguana: The other green meat.

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 05:31 PM

<STRONG>The LCD is very sturdy. Steve W. made it seem as though it would swing with little or no resistance. That is not the case. They could place a 17" LCD on this thing with few modifications.</STRONG>
My boss and a couple of colleagues saw a new iMac in London today (lucky buggers) and came to the exact same conclusion. The sturdiness of the unit was one of the main things we were concerned about, but they said it seems really sturdy. This be good

Now I really can't wait to see one IRL. My local Apple rep is at the show (BETT) but has told us she'll bring one of the new machines in to the office for us to see as soon as she can.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2002, 05:50 PM

at 21 lbs. a cat isn't going to bump this thing over. It's really great. I haven't been looking forward to a machine in a long time.

macusrX
Jan 10, 2002, 11:01 PM

word is that all Apple Stores have at least one as a preview machine. I know when I called Woodfield (chicago) yesterday they were going to get there machine in today. I am thinking this will be a great weekend for a small trip.....

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 11:28 PM

Dammit Mitchell, did he buy?

yomammasmokeschiba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 11:40 PM

The Woodcliff Lake store in NJ has two right up front.

Forum Links
Forum Rules