Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > i wish the new imac had....

i wish the new imac had....
macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 04:36 PM

a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard....what else do you think the imac could have that would make it even cooler.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

Justin D'Onofrio
Mar 6, 2002, 04:53 PM

Built-in speakers!

I think having two additional speaker pods on either side really takes away from the "all-in-oneness." The sound may be better than built-in ones, but the whole package would have looked and felt better if they were built-in...

just my $0.02

-- justin

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 05:07 PM

You know, as beautiful as Apple computers are, they still insist on attaching everything via ugly cables (although Apple cables are the best of the ugly). A standard cordless keyboard and mouse on the new iMac would be excellent.

A 17" LCD would be cool too. How about colors? Perhaps a screen that has full range of motion...

-m

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: mefogus ]

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2002, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by macthelastredman:
<STRONG>a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard.</STRONG>
Why?
You want to change batteries in a mouse and keyboard all the time?
You want a whole lab of these things each needing a different frequency?
You want them to be easily stolen?
You want to look cool to your friends?
You want to type 15 feet way from the computer but can still read the screen?
You want a bigger, heavier mouse?
You want to pay more?

Help me out here...

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 05:42 PM

Radeon 8500

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Han's Hands on Leia:
<STRONG>You want to change batteries in a mouse and keyboard all the time?
You want to pay more?</STRONG>
Have you ever actually used a wireless keyboard and mouse set? I owned a nice Logitech set on my PC for a few years and it was great. Fifty bucks for both and I only needed to change the batteries about once a year. They only used energy when they are in use. When you're not pressing keys or moving the mouse they are basically "asleep". That's how they can last so long on batteries.

Setup was completely automatic and the set had a single base unit tucked out of the way. This was at my house, so I didn't really need to think about anyone stealing them. Yes, wireless is cool. Deal. The mouse I had was as small as the Apple Pro mouse and it included a right mouse button and scroll wheel to boot. The convienance of being able to take the keyboard off the desk to work or not having to tug on a mouse cable every once and a while was WELL worth the purchase.

Here's a set similar to the one I had:
Logitech Cordless Freedom

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: ckohler ]

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
<STRONG>

Have you ever actually used a wireless keyboard and mouse?</STRONG>
Yup, it was pointless. You forgot to answer these questions though:

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 05:59 PM

<STRONG>You want a whole lab of these things each needing a different frequency?
You want a bigger, heavier mouse?</STRONG>
I clearly answered all of these issues. Re-read my post. As for the "easily stolen" bit, that's a pretty weak argument. What's someone going to do with a cordless mouse without the required base? Either way they're going to have to unplug something.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 06:07 PM

An audio in!!

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by mefogus:
<STRONG>
A 17" LCD would be cool ...

-m

</STRONG>
Someone needs to start working on an after market 17" LCD for the new iMac. A deal where they would accept the 15" as a trade in would be nice. Or an enclosure for the old one so that it work as a second display or so you could use it with another computer.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2002, 08:13 PM

17" LCD. That's it. Otherwise, it's plenty fast, relatively quiet and writes DVDs: everything I want in my next main Mac system. Or at least an option for 1280x1024 on the 15" LCD.

These do exist, lots of PC laptops use them now. It would also offer an economical choice over a 17" LCD. A 17" LCD would bring the iMac into the expensive over-$2000 range but a 1280x1024 15" screen would cost about $100 more (at least that's what the PC laptops with it cost over a 15" 1024x768 screen) for a price of $1899 or so. Plus, it would give you the high PPI you get on an iBook.

macthelastredman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 08:42 PM

<STRONG>

Why?
You want to pay more?

Help me out here...</STRONG>
i just don't like the cables...is that ok

FTrain
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 08:44 PM

I'd like a 17-inch LCD (but understand why that would have been too expensive right now)

I'd also like some other colors.

Plus, I'd like an iPod to come with the machine.

All those many years ago, my family got suckered into buying an IBM PC Jr. (I know you remember that piece of $#@%&*). It had a wireless keyboard and while I guess I thought that was cool at the time when I first took it out of the box (I was 12), I never remember thinking it really mattered. I guess it would be nice aesthetically to have wireless periferrals, but I've never been sure what practical difference it makes.

Incidentally, one of my best friends got an original Mac that same Christmas we got the PC Jr., and the remarkable difference between the two machines--combined with the fact that IBM hung us out to dry when they discontinued the Jr.--is what made me a Mac fan for life. Thanks, IBM.

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 12:09 AM

Since I posted the original message, I'll respond.

&gt;Why?

I hate cables. It's already a piece of art, why not take it a bit further?

&gt;You want to change batteries in a mouse and keyboard all the time?

Well, I suppose that I could be arsed to change them once a year or so.

&gt;You want a whole lab of these things each needing a different frequency?

Nah, just the one for my house.

&gt;You want them to be easily stolen?

Well, they are just as easy as everything in my house that isn't attach by a wire or string, like my soap, dvds, cds, visor, sunglasses, remote, cats, books, etc...

&gt;You want to look cool to your friends?

That would be nice, but they already think I'm the coolest.

&gt;You want to type 15 feet way from the computer but can still read
&gt;the screen?

No, I just don't like wires.

&gt;You want a bigger, heavier mouse?

I guess the added 2 ounces would be a bit much. You're right, forget it!

&gt;You want to pay more?

After 1800.00, I stop counting.

-m

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 12:27 AM

USB 2.0
Troy Murray

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 12:30 AM

ddr ram and a geforce 4mx (i agree with xyber ofcourse, but i doubt an imac would ever see anything that good)

that imac would last even college gamers quite a while

There's someone in my head but its not me...

iamnid
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 12:32 AM

How about an upgradeable video card? That's pretty much the only reason I'm ditching my current iMac for a powerbook -- not enough graphics power for games. Sure the geforce 2 is good for now, but it'd be nice to have the option to upgrade later.

It'd be nice if it came with the iSub, I don't think enough people realize how good those speakers can sound with one.

Easier way to upgrade the RAM would be nice (both slots that is)

Faster system bus (I realize this would make less people buy the pro machines, but hey I can dream)

That's about it.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 12:51 AM

How about an upgradeable video card? That's pretty much the only reason I'm ditching my current iMac for a powerbook -- not enough graphics power for games. Sure the geforce 2 is good for now, but it'd be nice to have the option to upgrade later.
I know this is off-topic, but can you even upgrade the GPU in a PowerBook? I've got a TiBook from last year and just assumed that I'd always be stuck with this ATI card.

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by ckohler:
<STRONG>As for the "easily stolen" bit, that's a pretty weak argument. </STRONG>
You explain to me why on almost every old Mac in schools the Apple logo has been pried from the front. What are they going to do with that?

Apple has a HUGE school market. The iMac is made for them especially. Do you think schools want each mouse getting mixed up, stolen and matching frequencies? Hell no.

Is there ANY reason you NEED a wireless mouse other then you think the little wire is ugly?

Personally I think apple should make the speaker wires, video and power cable wireless as well

Iguana: The other green meat.

Armando
Mar 7, 2002, 02:20 AM

For Rev B I would want:

At least a 15.8 inch LCD (slightly bigger than the G4 PowerBook) that does 1152x864. Have it on a special edition high end model maybe and priced accordingly.

G4 1000Mhz CPU and GeForce 4MX option. I like the idea of a module graphics card, where you can upgrade it on the all-in-one. But Apple probably does not want you to upgrade that way, they prefer you buy a whole new iMac.

802.11a wireless capabilities (upgrade to Airport 3.0 ?) - 11mbps is just not fast enough for larger files. Copying large quicktime movies from one mac to the other over airport is not the way to go.

Built-in FireWire docking station for your iPod. Each time you need to connect your iPod you need to connect the firewire cables to the back or just simply have a firewire cable always coming off the back (does not look that great). It's would be cool if it had a docking like mechanism on the right side of the case.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>
Is there ANY reason you NEED a wireless mouse other then you think the little wire is ugly?
</STRONG>
Well, in tight spaces the wire gets in the way. It gets stuck on the little things on my desk, etc. Mostly an annoyance but if there was a wireless RF mouse with a 1 month battery life, I'd buy it.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 02:55 AM

I seconds the opinion on wireless keyboard.

One design is to use the rechargeable battery in keyboard, and use the firewire port to charge the battery just like iPod (occasionally).

Mouse can be just short-wired attached to the keyboard, and run on the rechargeable battery of the keyboard.

And definitely a multi-button mouse would be nice.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 03:49 AM

<STRONG>Apple has a HUGE school market. The iMac is made for them especially. Do you think schools want each mouse getting mixed up, stolen and matching frequencies? Hell no.</STRONG>
First of all.. I DON'T think the new iMac is targeted for the pre-college school market. That area belongs to the completely all in one iBook. There's no mouse or keyboard to steal on an iBook. The only schools you're likely to see the new iMac in is universities. That's a totally different situation where students can be held accountable.

<STRONG>Is there ANY reason you NEED a wireless mouse other then you think the little wire is ugly?</STRONG>
As I said earlier, cordless keyboards and mice can't be appreciated until you actually put them to practical use. The ability to effortlessly reclaim my deskspace to do bills or whatnot by just setting the mouse and keyboard off to the side (without unplugging anything) made cordless input devices worthwhile to me. I also tended to take my computer places often. Having cordless devices made setting up and taking down the computer easier as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2002, 08:29 AM

I really think that you *don't* want wireless peripherals in a lab setting, no matter what age group.

Anything not physically attached to a machine *will* get switched/mixed up/disappear. You have to *always* separately pair up bases/peripherals, which is *not* what happens any time you're taking care of more than about three machines. (think large cardboard box marked "mice")

so wireless is really only viable in a home environment. But including it by default rather than option also *limits* the market to the home environment.

That cannot be in Apple's interest. Apart from the fact that they'd try to make it a rechargeable solution rather than a battery one, which means recharging cables or battery switching every couple of weeks, because rechargeables simply lose their charge over time, which really *does* defeat the purpose of wireless peripherals, as well as making them an administrative nightmare.

-spheric*

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 7, 2002, 08:34 AM

for goodness *sake* Spheric, haven't you *heard* of using the bold tag?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Justin D'Onofrio:
<STRONG>Built-in speakers!

I think having two additional speaker pods on either side really takes away from the "all-in-oneness." The sound may be better than built-in ones, but the whole package would have looked and felt better if they were built-in...

just my $0.02

-- justin</STRONG>
I agree with this point. This would have also offered more continuity with the iMac G3 line.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by macthelastredman:
<STRONG>a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard....what else do you think the imac could have that would make it even cooler.</STRONG>
This was one of the often heard complaints about the Cube also.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by cmoney:
<STRONG>17" LCD. That's it. Otherwise, it's plenty fast, relatively quiet and writes DVDs: everything I want in my next main Mac system. Or at least an option for 1280x1024 on the 15" LCD.

These do exist, lots of PC laptops use them now. It would also offer an economical choice over a 17" LCD. A 17" LCD would bring the iMac into the expensive over-$2000 range but a 1280x1024 15" screen would cost about $100 more (at least that's what the PC laptops with it cost over a 15" 1024x768 screen) for a price of $1899 or so. Plus, it would give you the high PPI you get on an iBook.</STRONG>
15" 1280x10204?
No thanks. I value my eyesight.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by FTrain:
<STRONG>I'd like a 17-inch LCD (but understand why that would have been too expensive right now)

I'd also like some other colors.

Plus, I'd like an iPod to come with the machine.

All those many years ago, my family got suckered into buying an IBM PC Jr. (I know you remember that piece of $#@%&*). It had a wireless keyboard and while I guess I thought that was cool at the time when I first took it out of the box (I was 12), I never remember thinking it really mattered. I guess it would be nice aesthetically to have wireless periferrals, but I've never been sure what practical difference it makes.

Incidentally, one of my best friends got an original Mac that same Christmas we got the PC Jr., and the remarkable difference between the two machines--combined with the fact that IBM hung us out to dry when they discontinued the Jr.--is what made me a Mac fan for life. Thanks, IBM.</STRONG>
If I remember right, the Apple //c was *THE* consumer machine to have back then.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
<STRONG>USB 2.0</STRONG>
What can this do that firewire can't do already?
(Except put more of a load on the processor)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
<STRONG>for goodness *sake* Spheric, haven't you *heard* of using the bold tag? </STRONG>
can't be arsed to use it. it's *such* a pain.

-s[/b]

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>I really think that you *don't* want wireless peripherals in a lab setting, no matter what age group.

Anything not physically attached to a machine *will* get switched/mixed up/disappear. You have to *always* separately pair up bases/peripherals, which is *not* what happens any time you're taking care of more than about three machines. (think large cardboard box marked "mice")</STRONG>
WOW! Someone here actually has a brain.

You guys think that Apple has lost ONE sale because the mouse isn't wireless? Nope.

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 10:41 AM

<STRONG>

You explain to me why on almost every old Mac in schools the Apple logo has been pried from the front. What are they going to do with that?

Apple has a HUGE school market. The iMac is made for them especially. Do you think schools want each mouse getting mixed up, stolen and matching frequencies? Hell no.

Personally I think apple should make the speaker wires, video and power cable wireless as well </STRONG>

Right! Now you're talking.

-m

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>

What can this (USB 2.0)do that firewire can't do already?
(Except put more of a load on the processor)</STRONG>
Cheaper fast peripherals? Already, there are USB 2.0 devices coming out that offer the same capabilities as FireWire external devices but for anywhere from $50-$100 cheaper!

USB 2.0 isn't an "us against them" technology. Just because Intel is pushing it doesn't mean it's bad. It's not like you lose anything by Apple offering USB 2.0 either. And if it offers me an external 24x CD-RW for $149, that's great (BTW, that's CompUsa's price after rebate).

The only way I see USB 2.0 being bad is if it gets strong market momentum and then video vendors start switching over from FireWire to USB 2.0.

Moosecat
Mar 7, 2002, 11:57 AM

I wish the new iMac had ...

... shown up at my home.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:
<STRONG>

Cheaper fast peripherals? Already, there are USB 2.0 devices coming out that offer the same capabilities as FireWire external devices but for anywhere from $50-$100 cheaper! </STRONG>
Really? Video Camera's are coming out with USB 2.0?

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 01:21 PM

<STRONG>

WOW! Someone here actually has a brain.

You guys think that Apple has lost ONE sale because the mouse isn't wireless? Nope.</STRONG>
You are an angry angry boy.

-m

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 01:31 PM

<STRONG>

You are an angry angry boy.

-m</STRONG>
Not at all, I can't stand 15 year olds that want Glow in the dark computers, wireless mice, and dual 2 GHz possessors just so they can surf for porn. Then when Apple doesn't deliver they bitch that Apple dropped the ball.

Also, I think it is funny that you call me angry. After looking at your web site you look like the angry one, and a boy

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 01:33 PM

I wish the new iMac had the same type of power button on its screen as is present on the 15 inch LCD. It is real nice to be able to put the computer to sleep with a simple touch on my Cube setup. Unfortunately, this is not an option with the new iMac. Besides, the smaller light on the iMac doesn't look as cool when it "throbs" while the computer is asleep!

OAW

macthelastredman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 01:55 PM

<STRONG>

Not at all, I can't stand 15 year olds that want Glow in the dark computers, wireless mice, and dual 2 GHz possessors just so they can surf for porn. Then when Apple doesn't deliver they bitch that Apple dropped the ball.

Also, I think it is funny that you call me angry. After looking at your web site you look like the angry one, and a boy </STRONG>
i'm not 15...and you know nothing about me...i just would like a wireless mouse and i think apple could make a sweet one i'm sorry you dont feel the same way..cant we all just get along

MarMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:18 PM

I would have liked to have seen a 17" LCD aslo, but I can deal with the true 15". The quality of the screen makes up for the size. I think I remember reading that the iMac display cannot be changed.

Additionally, I would have liked the option to unhook the display and attach an "actual size" set of immitation Pamela Anderson breasts. I would then be able to move Pam's tig old bitties 120 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically. This would provide a nice break in between applications and could get my mind off 20 reasons why I shouldn't use a wireless mouse or keyboard.

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 02:21 PM

<STRONG>

Also, I think it is funny that you call me angry. After looking at your web site you look like the angry one, and a boy </STRONG>
Alright, since I've somehow offended you by wanting a wireless mouse, I will be the better person and stop now before the message board gets cluttered with garbage. Any pathetic insults about my "personal" preferences (why in now way implies that I think Apple "dropped the ball") can be directed to me in private.

Thank you,
-m

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 02:36 PM

<STRONG>

Really? Video Camera's are coming out with USB 2.0?</STRONG>
Umm, did you even read the rest of my post? Video cameras aren't the only peripherals on FireWire nowadays. Besides, at the bottom of my post I say:

The only way I see USB 2.0 being bad is if it gets strong market momentum and then video vendors start switching over from FireWire to USB 2.0.

Point being that they haven't yet. And hopefully they won't. But you better believe that's what Intel's trying to market to them...

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: cmoney ]

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 02:42 PM

Its been said before and I'll say it again (unless someone else brought it up and I missed the point in my skimming)

What is one of Apple's strongest markets?
Don't answer that. I will.
Education.
When the 700 CD-RW machines get out into the world and schools start packing them into labs, wireless mice would be a total disaster. How many distinct channels are there for a wireless mouse? More than 20? More than 30?

"Hey, Miss Campbell, Jimmy is forcing me to look at porn!"

It would have been a nice feature. For some people. I personally can't STAND my Logitec wireless mouse. It just seems to have some kind of a latency problem.
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2002, 02:56 PM

<STRONG>

Alright, since I've somehow offended you by wanting a wireless mouse, I will be the better person and stop now before the message board gets cluttered with garbage. Any pathetic insults about my "personal" preferences (why in now way implies that I think Apple "dropped the ball") can be directed to me in private.

Thank you,
-m</STRONG>
Nice try but you haven't offended me by wanting a wireless mouse. You did try to offend me by calling me "pathetic" names though.

Better luck next time

iamnid
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 11:54 PM

Funny stuff.. this thread is all about the wireless/nonwireless mouse argument now.

Personally I agree that it doesn't make sense to have wireless mice in schools. Maybe apple could just have them as a build-to-order option? That way schools and people who disliked them wouldn't have to have them and people who like them could simply upgrade or buy them.

I disagree that the ibook is apple's main school machine. True it doesn't have a separate keyboard or mouse, but this leaves it more vulnerable to damage. If a kid spills something on the keyboard or breaks the keyboard or trackpad, it is more difficult to fix than just plugging in a new keyboard as can be done with an iMac. I think once the iMacs start being mass produced they will find themselves in schools (I could be wrong).

I posted earlier what I would like to see in a new iMac... but I thought of something else -- how about a widescreen like that found in the powerbooks? That'd be pretty cool I think. I wouldn't want a higher resolution screen than what's already there because games would have trouble running in the native resolution with just a geforce2 and lcds look bad when not running in their native resolutions.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2002, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
<STRONG>
I disagree that the ibook is apple's main school machine. True it doesn't have a separate keyboard or mouse, but this leaves it more vulnerable to damage. If a kid spills something on the keyboard or breaks the keyboard or trackpad, it is more difficult to fix than just plugging in a new keyboard as can be done with an iMac.</STRONG>
Didn't Steve say the rev A iMac had a spillproof keyboard?

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 03:57 AM

<STRONG>

Why?
You want to pay more?

Help me out here...</STRONG>

at least three kinds of lame.

but it didn't end after a lame post.

his feelings got hurt because he decisively lost the argument he started.

carry on. same ol' same ol'
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules