Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks = TROUBLE w/ Capitol T.

Powerbooks = TROUBLE w/ Capitol T.
powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 05:35 PM

I love Powermacs, but iam far from impressed with these PB's let alone ibooks. ALl i read from these forums is problems. flickering, sound and line issues. The displays on these things are god awful, GOD AWFUL!!! i will wait for the MActel as far as notebooks is concerned and Iam buying a Powermac Quad this week the hell with portability for right now, I would just be accomodating my clients, They want to see the unfinished material they can come and see me at my studio.....

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 05:42 PM

This is a Troubleshooting and Discussion board; what'd you expect? Do you have hands-on experience with any of these "TROUBLE w/ Capitol T. [sic] " PowerBooks? My guess: no. One word: spellcheck

Mine is great, FYI.

Originally Posted by powerule
I love Powermacs, but iam far from impressed with these PB's let alone ibooks. ALl i read from these forums is problems. flickering, sound and line issues. The displays on these things are god awful, GOD AWFUL!!! i will wait for the MActel as far as notebooks is concerned and Iam buying a Powermac Quad this week the hell with portability for right now, I would just be accomodating my clients, They want to see the unfinished material they can come and see me at my studio.....

f1000
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 05:44 PM

I've had iBooks and PowerBooks for several years now and have only experienced a few glitches for the most part. The one exception was a hard drive failure that made me plenty mad, but I really can't blame Apple for that.

Oh, and it's capital with an 'a'.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

what iomatic said. 99% of the posts on these boards are for support. how many times do you see the post that talks about "damn, my powerbook is awesome, it's perfect"?

maybe i should create one for my new 17" powerbook with the new screen that isn't god awful, GOD AWFUL!!!

i've had a 800mhz g3 ibook, 1ghz g4 12" powerbook, 1.25ghz g4 15" powerbook, and now 1.67ghz g4 17" powerbook, and besides the odd technical difficulty, that caused the laptop to be with apple for 3 days, these laptops have been amazing. enough for me to recommend them to many friends.

if you've had different experiences with your powerbooks, i'm sorry, and i'm sure a call to apple support would bring some closure, whether it had been your money back, a replacement, or a repair.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 06:31 PM

I've had powerbooks since the 540c and I have to say they have been incredibly reliable and high quality. It does seem like the latest powerbooks have been plagued with an unsusual number of problems though and imagine that peoples' experience may be indicative of a larger quality control issue. I sent back two for various issues and I know there are several people here who had similar experiences. On the other hand, if Consumer Report's statement that 17% of powerbooks need repair during the first year, perhaps we were just unlucky.

In any case, saying that they are inherently unreliable and bad seem silly.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 08:17 PM

In 12 years of owning PowerBooks I've only had one problem (the DVD drive went bad after 2 1/2 years of use). I've been very pleased with the product's quality.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2005, 11:16 PM

Powerule iomatic is on to something this is a troubleshooting forum also it is human nature to equate their existence through bad experiences.... however they are a few threads in here about the positive aspects of having a powerbook.... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273862

audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 01:54 AM

The displays on these things are god awful, GOD AWFUL!!! .
I have a fairly new 15" PB. My experience is exactly the opposite. I love this thing.
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 02:07 AM

I love my Powerbook 15 inch 1.5G, only one more request, can we have the display like what SONY uses for their laptops
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2005, 04:36 AM

10 PBs in my family/friends circle all puuurrrfeeeccctttttttt
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

ibook_steve
Nov 26, 2005, 04:53 AM

Do not feed the trolls.

Steve

Recto Bold
Nov 26, 2005, 05:50 AM

You have to take a step back and think about these forums. As people have already stated, you don't see people generally starting a "Damn, I love my owerBook" thread. That's not because they don't like them but because people are too busy using them (and doing other things) to post such stuff. If your product fails, this is just a natural place to come to vent and to see if someone can provide you with help and assistance. Remember how many Macs Apple sells these days and how high profile Apple is in the media now. 10 years ago a 3400c with a dodgy screen wouldn't merit much comment in the media, but these days it's a different kettle of fish.

For what it's worth, I am still using a 2001 Ti 667 PowerBook and it has never failed. It looks a mess, but that's due to having been around the world more times with me (literally) than I care to remember, having been dropped 3 times (I am clumsy) and really not treated with the TLC my desktops get. It runs 10.4.3 really rather well, does what I need it to do and for wireless performance recently outshone my boss' brand new IBM ThinkPad. I'd say I have had amazing value from that thing.

It's horrible when your Mac fails, and it's tempting when you see a few people on here with the same issue to assume a real design fault, but this is a tiny microcosm of the market. If you want a PowerBook, jump right in - Wherever you live you will have rights as a consumer so if it goes wrong you can get a refund or a repair/replacement. If you go for Applecare then you get a 3 year warranty too.

I'm waiting for the 2nd Generation of Intel PowerBooks since I have had my old one for so long I can live with it for another 18 months or so, but if I NEEDED a new one now I would have no hesitation in buying one of the current models. As you can see, many on here are very happy with theirs.......

new_wave_music
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 01:41 PM

I don't understand this thread. A powerbook user writes in with complaints about the brand new powerbooks and the responses are:

1) The person who started the original thread does not know how to spell.
2) everyone that commented appears to not even own a new powerbook. They are commenting on older models and not the latest version of the powerbook.

I feel as good as Apple has been in the past, it is possible to put out a product that may have flaws. Take the iPod nano for instance. Could it be that the presure for Apple to sell cheaper products with more features is taking a hit because of quality compromises?

I do think the Quad G5 looks like a fine machine with 2 issues:
1) The standard graphics card is a cheap $100 unit. For a high end machine I find that weird
2) It only comes with 512mb of memory. Should be 1 to 2 gig.
( Last edited by new_wave_music; Nov 26, 2005 at 01:52 PM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 02:37 PM

there are some posts where people don't say which powerbook they have, but in mine i stated i have a new 17" and it is great.

this whole thread is pointless, imo.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 02:49 PM

After perusing technical help forums of every major computer manufacturer, it appears that all computers are completely flawed and plagued with major issues. So it seems the only logical thing to do is to get rid of all my computers and revert back to pen and pencil.

I don't know what's worse, this thread or the fact that I felt compelled to contribute to it.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

new_wave_music
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by benwhanlee
After perusing technical help forums of every major computer manufacturer, it appears that all computers are completely flawed and plagued with major issues. So it seems the only logical thing to do is to get rid of all my computers and revert back to pen and pencil.

I don't know what's worse, this thread or the fact that I felt compelled to contribute to it.

I like that one. The guy that owns Virgin records and has his own airlines never uses a computer. Just a pad of paper and a pencil.

f1000
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by new_wave_music
I don't understand this thread. A powerbook user writes in with complaints about the brand new powerbooks and the responses are:

1) The person who started the original thread does not know how to spell.
2) everyone that commented appears to not even own a new powerbook. They are commenting on older models and not the latest version of the powerbook.
It's because we've seen these kinds of posts before. No person should come onto these boards offering his personal anecdotal experience as some kind of scientific statistical sampling of the entire crop of Apple's products.

People typically only post when they have problems, and the naive or frustrated always misinterpret this as indicating the existence of some kind of trend in terms of hardware failures.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005, 10:10 AM

I'll comment on the latest version of the PowerBook then - it's fantastic. Best computing experience I've ever had.

Should I start a new thread too?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules