Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > increased memory fragmentation in OS9?

increased memory fragmentation in OS9?
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 1999, 09:01 PM

I am running a Wallstreet 233/512L2 with 160MB or RAM (I do not use VM). OS9 is adequately fast and VERY stable on my system, but I have noticed drastic memory fragmentation.

I just restarted the computer, launched Eudora 4.2, Navigator, and Acrobat Reader, in that order. Then I quit out of the applications in the reverse order in which they were opened. This was it - the computer was only running about 1/2 an hour from restart to when I quit out of the apps. My largest available block was bout 120 MB before launching all of the apps. Afer quitting them it was only 92 MB.

This is a chronic problem which obligates me to reboot every couple of days. Is this a result of the increased use of guard pages in OS9 to prevent total system crashes?
Don

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 1999, 08:03 AM

Have you tried MacOS Purge? I can usually reclaim up to 7MB RAM after quitting programs. There's no getting around the fragmentation, especially with VM off. I run with VM off only because I want speed and stability. Hopefully things will get better in the next major OS release (i'm praying for dynamic mem alloc)

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules