Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > After using MACTHERIPPER

After using MACTHERIPPER
jmault
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 06:33 PM

So I used MACTHERIPPER to copy some DVD's so I don't to lug entire DVD's around this weekend. However, when I went to play the movie QuickTime showed an error when I tried to open it? Does anyone have an idea of why this might have happened? When I put the DVD in do I just click go first or is there something else I need to do to make sure it rips properly?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 06:57 PM

use DVD player to watch the ripped movies. open the application, choose "open DVD media" under the file menu and select the video TS folder. then hit play.

-r.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 09:07 PM

I tried that but when I click on the folder that contains that movies(I don't know why but there are three of them) I cannot click on any of them to play them. There is a "Jacket_P" and a "Video_TS" folder the Jacket folder contains three .mp2 QuickTime movies and the older folder contains a bunch of .vob files(I don't know what those are) Also when I first click go a box comes up that says something about RCE's and that I have no set any. What are RCE's? Is there another step that I am not doing correctly?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 09:11 PM

you selected the video TS folder in DVD player and it wouldn't play after you hit the button? it could be that your RCE setting isn't right. if that is the case, you will need to re-rip the discs and set the RCE encoding to match the RCE detected on the disc.

-r.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 09:34 PM

Try launching DVD Player, then dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto the DVD Player icon in the Dock (trying to select a folder in a dialog box when you're used to choosing files might be a bit unintuitive). If that doesn't work it might be an RCE issue.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 12, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Try launching DVD Player, then dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto the DVD Player icon in the Dock (trying to select a folder in a dialog box when you're used to choosing files might be a bit unintuitive). If that doesn't work it might be an RCE issue.
ok, so i had the exact SAME problem as the op, until i tried exactly what you just said. for some reason, i can only get the stuff to play if i drag the whole video_ts folder into the dvd player icon in the dock. it won't if i drag the folder into the dvd player application window (where it plays dvds), it won't if i try "open dvd media" or anything else.... but this did work. op, did you try it too?

strange it only works that way.... is there some way to take all the files that mac the ripper makes and push them into a single movie file (e.g. .mov or something)? if you do, do you lose quality or anything? what apps do you use to do this? thanks.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 03:24 PM

Handbrake is pretty good, from what I've been told. Gives you a ton of options, including ones that will play back on video iPods.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 10:50 PM

Is there any way I can compress the file when I rip it or do I need a different application for that. Because they are usually somewhere aound 7.25 gigs! If I cannot which application do you recomend for compressing a DVD that is fairly user friendly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by jmault
Is there any way I can compress the file when I rip it or do I need a different application for that. Because they are usually somewhere aound 7.25 gigs! If I cannot which application do you recomend for compressing a DVD that is fairly user friendly.

The most user-friendly transcoding app that I know of is DVD2One.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmault
I compress all my DVD's using handbrake to .h264 format and put them in my iTunes library.

It's nice to have your whole DVD collection with you.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Fast DVD Copy 4
Works good if you want to burn all in one step. Popcorn and Toast also work well.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
I compress all my DVD's using handbrake to .h264 format and put them in my iTunes library.
Do you encode the video to just play on through iTunes or hooked up to a TV? I guess my question is this: do you think your encoded movies will scale well to an HDTV through iTV?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c

that's the pc version of the app. the mac version is DVD2OneX

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 07:39 PM

Grab a copy of VLC
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by k squared
Do you encode the video to just play on through iTunes or hooked up to a TV? I guess my question is this: do you think your encoded movies will scale well to an HDTV through iTV?
The look pretty darn good on my 24"iMac which is HD resolution. I encode my movies in a fairly high bitrate that leaves most of the movies around 1.2 GB. The nice thing about Handbreak is you could encode them with as much or as little quality depending on your wants, needs and hard drive space.
So yes, I think they would like fine on iTV.

miacomet
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2006, 11:48 PM

i'm not a fan of mactheripper

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 01:07 AM

If you got the RCE warning, then you didn't setup MacTheRipper correctly when you first started. No biggie, live and learn, right?

DVDRemaster is another compression software. 'Course, you could always buy the very expensive DL disks...

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2006, 11:33 PM

So should I uninstall it so that I can install it correctly or what should I do? Is there something that you recomend that I do?

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 09:54 AM

No, don't uninstall, because it's undoubtedly OK.

Just open it up. You'll see that in the lower right corner there's a drop-down menu that reads RCE Region. When your disk has RCE, you need to make sure that this is citing the relevant region. The New Region button above should be set to All.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 09:57 AM

I love handbrake
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2006, 08:47 PM

How do I know what the "relevant region" is?

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2006, 11:09 PM

Dvd2OneX2 is awesome, and easy to use.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 12:24 AM

Just click all the regions ("ALL")

Forum Links
Forum Rules