Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook is getting hotter

Powerbook is getting hotter
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 02:11 PM

Hello, I've searched this out but I'm not finding much help.

I have a PB G4, 1.67 GHz, 512 RAM. It seems to me that it has started to get much hotter than it used to. The bottom burns my legs, as I actually use this as a LAPtop.

Temp Monitor calls it as 60˚+/-C and 145˚+/-F
Is this normal and I just haven't noticed before or is it possible something is wrong?
What is considered a normal surface temp?
Is there anything I should check?

<- That's me hot not mad.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 03:37 PM

I couldn't find the link but there's an apple KB article about them recommending that you don't run the notebook on your lap because they do get hot.

With that said I'm not sure why all of a sudden your PB is starting to get hot. Can you localize the heat somewhat, like its coming from where the hard drive is, or the CPU.

btw 60c isn't terribly hot, the macbooks easily achieve that temp.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 03:49 PM

Is it summer where you are? The hotter the ambient temperature, the slower the surface of your Powerbook will cool.

Another possibility is that the internals are dusty (e.g. if you live or have lived and used your Powerbook in a dusty environment) and the cooling is not as efficient as it once was.

Unless your temperature monitoring utility already does this, I would download the freeware X Resource Graph 1.1 - MacUpdate as it will also tell you when your fans are on and what rpm they are spinning at.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 05:54 PM

Alright, I getcha. Sounds like its pretty normal then. I'll just have to look into some cooling plate or such. I've had the machine for nearly 2 years, but I guess it's only now that I moved that I use it on my lap.

Thx. Any oher thoughts are appreciated as well.

ghettochild
Jun 19, 2007, 08:45 PM

Have you checked your CPU load via Activity Monitor?

As for the heat, you may be able to run the PB cooler by lowering the threshold for fans to kick in via G4 Fan Control.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Forum Links
Forum Rules