Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Speaking of Apple Customer Service

Speaking of Apple Customer Service
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 03:58 PM

As I posted in the iMac thread that my iMac screen looked like it was messed up. I called Apple and they said that I needed to take it to a Apple Repair Center. Since I am over 300-500 miles away from an Apple Store I had to take it to a mom and pop store here locally. I asked Apple if AppleCare will still cover it, they stated "yes". I get to the mom and pop store and I waited over 30 minutes (one other customer in the store) to get someone to help me. I finally get someone to come help me and tell them my problem he abruptly and rudely stops me and ask me for my customer information, case id #, etc..three times. He never once asked what was wrong with the computer and then proceeded to tell me that judging from the box that I brought it in (the iMac Box which is well over a year old) that I dropped my computer. I told him I take great care of that computer because I paid for it with my own money and I know what I do with my computers...He said whatever. He then proceeded to get me to sign something that he said was clearing them from all liability if I have any data loss...I said thank God for Time Machine and said okay. Well on the other side of the paper it says that all work is $95 per hour and any not warranty part is the price of the part plus $55. I saw that and told him that he needs to charge this to Apple because they said it was a warranty issue. He said "I'll determine that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt." I told him that if it wasn't going to be covered by AppleCare not to touch it or fix it because I'm not going to pay him.

He said he will keep it for a week and a half. Do you guys think I should be worried? Should I call Apple beforehand and let them know the situation so they can have a heads up. The town this occurred in was in the richest town in the state and full of spoiled brat rich kids...and I look extremely young, like a 4th grader, almost. And I think he is going to try to screw me cause it just didn't feel right and it has me worried.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 04:08 PM

Did you take it to an authorized apple repair center or was this mom and pop store a generic computer repair store?

If its the latter you may have issues because apple will basically have no say in the matter.

I believe the warranty is specific in where you can take it, i.e., an authorized center.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yup.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 04:12 PM

Yeah, Applecare said to take it here so thats why I felt okay leaving it with them. But the customer service on the retail end sucks. I see now why Apple is making their own stores...

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 04:13 PM

I like you Big Mac

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 04:15 PM

LOL, why? You're good people.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 04:18 PM

haha well...maybe

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 05:24 PM

Get a room you two.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 05:33 PM

I look forward to our next private chat.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 06:30 PM

Hi analogika! How are you today? You are such a great friend.
Can't wait to talk to you on aim.

Bye.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 06:31 PM

Wwjd?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 06:31 PM

Call AppleCare and let them know how you feel. Contact [email protected] if need be.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 06:32 PM

" "

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Wwjd?
He would talk to his best friends on aim, that's what he would do.

Sincerely,

wdlove

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I look forward to our next private chat.
See you tonight.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 08:24 PM

I'm very happy that you're such a good friend.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 09:41 PM

I'm beginning to think that no one thought my OP was actually true....The boards are going down quick!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
See you tonight.
uhh...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
uhh...
What, you stay in your house all night? People go out at night all the time.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 10:15 PM

if you want to show him good customer service be my guest

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 10:57 PM

I just took a look, "just knowing" that there had to be an Apple Store closer than you said. Boy was I wrong! I think Birmingham is the closest store to you. Wow!

Anyway, do let Apple know about this "authorized repair center" and their attitude. That's not the kind of thing that goes over well, if you know what I mean.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I just took a look, "just knowing" that there had to be an Apple Store closer than you said. Boy was I wrong! I think Birmingham is the closest store to you. Wow!

Anyway, do let Apple know about this "authorized repair center" and their attitude. That's not the kind of thing that goes over well, if you know what I mean.
Apple really does need to cover certain areas of the U.S. a lot better. It's stupid when they have a ton of stores in California but whole huge areas of the United States don't.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2008, 11:11 PM

This thread is reeeeeeeeeeeally testing my support for the Mod Unfairness thread.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

Ha and that Bham store opened last month. I hate it that Apple is refusing to come into Mississippi. Granted hardly anyone uses Mac here and the main reason is because they have NO visibility at all. I've seen the Zune more than the iPod lately...it's pretty tough being here when I have an issue.

Cold Warrior
Jan 4, 2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This thread is reeeeeeeeeeeally testing my support for the Mod Unfairness thread.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Must have been an interesting conversation going on in here.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
Must have been an interesting conversation going on in here.
he just doesn't like it when people show their true love for each other...come over here Laminar...kiss kiss

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2008, 11:42 PM

he just doesn't like it when people show their true love for each other...come over here Laminar...kiss kiss
I'm all puckered up and ready.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 11:43 PM

That looks like some redneck woman from Iowa went into Wal*Mart for the first time ever

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 11:50 PM

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2008, 12:00 AM

There is an issue with the things that Apple support tells customers. We get people coming in with dead iPods. "Apple support told me to bring my iPod to your store and you would swap it for a new one. I just bought it a week ago and it doesn't work." The problem is, the only people authorized to replace such an iPod are Apple Retail Stores. Alaska doesn't have any. Did Apple support really send them to our shop, or did the customer simply not know the difference between a reseller and a retailer?

Understand that Apple will only pay a reseller/repair center for repairs that require a part being replaced. If Apple sends you to our shop, and it turns out to be a software issue, we have no recourse to get paid for our time fixing your stuff.

Cold Warrior
Jan 5, 2008, 12:02 AM

I bet it's mostly customers confused and customers trying to get one over on you.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
There is an issue with the things that Apple support tells customers. We get people coming in with dead iPods. "Apple support told me to bring my iPod to your store and you would swap it for a new one. I just bought it a week ago and it doesn't work." The problem is, the only people authorized to replace such an iPod are Apple Retail Stores. Alaska doesn't have any. Did Apple support really send them to our shop, or did the customer simply not know the difference between a reseller and a retailer?

Understand that Apple will only pay a reseller/repair center for repairs that require a part being replaced. If Apple sends you to our shop, and it turns out to be a software issue, we have no recourse to get paid for our time fixing your stuff.

I see where you are coming from but I was just appalled at the lack of respect by this guy. I explained to him I was fully aware that this could be on my part and I just wanted to know if my Apple Warranty will cover it. I explicitly told him that if the AppleCare Warranty will not cover the screen and it will cost money to repair DO NOT TOUCH IT! I will man up if I thought it was my fault but I honestly don't know what I could have done to mess up the screen. I am just amazed at how this guy took me as some kid and didn't given me any leeway to explain anything he just assumed I was a punk kid and thought he could treat me like I was pond scum or something.

If his demeanor was different, even more friendly and took time to listen to what I was saying (considering I was the only one in the store once he got to me) I would be more than willing to pay for the service of having my computer fixed with not questions asked. Attitude will go a long way with the way I pay you.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2008, 12:22 AM

I see where you are coming from but I was just appalled at the lack of respect by this guy. I explained to him I was fully aware that this could be on my part and I just wanted to know if my Apple Warranty will cover it. I explicitly told him that if the AppleCare Warranty will not cover the screen and it will cost money to repair DO NOT TOUCH IT!
And in our shop, that's exactly what we would have done, no questions asked.
I will man up if I thought it was my fault but I honestly don't know what I could have done to mess up the screen.
I didn't mean to imply I thought you had abused your machine in any way shape or form, apologies if I did.
If his demeanor was different, even more friendly and took time to listen to what I was saying (considering I was the only one in the store once he got to me) I would be more than willing to pay for the service of having my computer fixed with not questions asked. Attitude will go a long way with the way I pay you.
Customer satisfaction needs to be the #1 priority for anyone who provides a service. Our store bends over backwards daily to try to ensure customer satisfaction. I'm sorry you had such a terrible time.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Hi Lam! Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Bye.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 12:33 AM

And in our shop, that's exactly what we would have done, no questions asked.

I didn't mean to imply I thought you had abused your machine in any way shape or form, apologies if I did.

Customer satisfaction needs to be the #1 priority for anyone who provides a service. Our store bends over backwards daily to try to ensure customer satisfaction. I'm sorry you had such a terrible time.

Can I ship my iMac to you? I wasn't offended by your post btw. I tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he was just having a bad day but when I called today check the status on my computer I was hung up on. Not in a hang on hang up but I was in middle of conversation hang up.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 05:07 AM

However, if you're an authorized repair center, and it IS a hardware issue, you request a warranty replacement from Apple, and can actually replace the customer's iPod. Just not on the spot - it takes a couple of days.

If it's *not* a hardware issue, you do eat the cost for determining that, but briefly hooking up an iPod to a machine and running a software restore (or just hooking up a supposedly "dead" iPod to a Firewire cable or power supply) is not so tragic.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 08:42 AM

Not to want to scare you because this is in a different country, but my brother had to bring his 1 month old MBP who lost the ability to make any sound/noise/music to a local authorized shop. It took him 6 weeks to get it back... Again, it was not in the US and I suspect Apple would not have such a disrespect of his american customers. In other countries on the other hand.....

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 09:23 AM

Does Apple send out repair boxes for desktops or is it just for iPods and laptops?

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 10:24 AM

Nothing is wrong with that. I think the forums need more love so post away.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 11:15 AM

iranfromthezoo -- I too want to reiterate that not all Apple Service Providers are like that. Honestly I wouldn't have entrusted my machine to a company that overcharges for parts and labor like that.

As a service provider we're supposed to make a preliminary diagnosis before you leave our store front, either by a physical inspection or by running an Apple Diagnostic. If its obvious abuse related damage or if its out of AppleCare Warranty range, then we do our best to let our clients know up front what the charge will be BEFORE they release their machine.

$95 dollars an hour is way over priced, not to mention that is well bloated over what Apple reimburses them. Our firm charges half that for out of warranty repairs. Each provider is different, as we are deemed as "independent contractors" for Apple. Depending on the certification level of each member of their technical staff, determines which machines they are qualified to service. Do note that Apple ships parts VERY quickly to service providers in either case of in-warranty or out. So if you're waiting 10 business days for your machine, they're shelving it for most of that time.

Feel free to shop the Apple Service Providers against each other, as I assure you, not all are equal. Most pride themselves in customer service -- but those who have a false sense of geographic monopoly tend to abuse their customer base.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 11:56 AM

dowNNshift,

I had great Apple Service when I lived in Charlotte and Nashville, mainly because there were real Apple Stores and the retailers were happy to see me I guess. But these guys are arrogant and punks. It honestly makes me want to open an Apple Retail and Repair Store. I mean I work four months out of the year spread out. I think I can handle opening a store.

Oh well...

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 12:34 PM

I say go for it! I am sure you're not the only Apple person in your area feeling burned by that company.

Our passion for Apple products lead us to become an Apple Service Provider and Reseller in our area. We were tired of the sub-par service given in our area and have been quite successful filling the quality service void in our region. Best of all, we get to service and sell the Macs we love.

Becoming a Service Provider requires certification, vetting by Apple corporate, and your own investment in a brick and mortar front. One of the best features of being a Service Provider is that we're Apple Certified. We re-certify yearly so our knowledge base stays fresh. Our clients know that when they approach us with questions, they're getting knowledgeable and current information.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 01:46 PM

dowNNshift,

I had great Apple Service when I lived in Charlotte and Nashville, mainly because there were real Apple Stores and the retailers were happy to see me I guess. But these guys are arrogant and punks. It honestly makes me want to open an Apple Retail and Repair Store. I mean I work four months out of the year spread out. I think I can handle opening a store.

Oh well...
I'd work there. And you can design your own website.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
However, if you're an authorized repair center, and it IS a hardware issue, you request a warranty replacement from Apple, and can actually replace the customer's iPod. Just not on the spot - it takes a couple of days.
Absolutely. However, the customer is expecting a swap, based on the information from Apple.
If it's *not* a hardware issue, you do eat the cost for determining that, but briefly hooking up an iPod to a machine and running a software restore (or just hooking up a supposedly "dead" iPod to a Firewire cable or power supply) is not so tragic.
It's amazing how many "broken" iPods only need a quick "reboot" or placed in a dock for a few seconds. We troubleshoot every iPod that comes in, warranty or no.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 02:59 AM

Absolutely. However, the customer is expecting a swap, based on the information from Apple.
True. But then, customer expectations are always based on what they *think* they heard somebody tell them, which is often enough not quite what people *did* tell them.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 02:03 PM

update:
After sending an email to Steve Jobs on the advice of eostone. I just got and phone call and off the phone with the Associate VP of Apple Customer Relations. She said that the store offered their most sincere apologies about the lack of service. She said that she told the store to test the machine and it was found out that the screen was cracked. (why couldn't just figure that out in the store is beyond me instead of wasting my time). She offered several support options about how to fix the computer since it is not covered under AppleCare which is fine. I don't know if I should allow this same company to fix my computer based on previous experience and the store may have a bad taste in their mouth with me. But she gave me her direct line to her office and told me if I have any more issues to call her.

But I have decided based on this customer service to buy a new iMac (our family needs a new one anyway) so I may vote to not get the screen fixed and use the old one as a back up.
( Last edited by iranfromthezoo; Jan 6, 2008 at 06:56 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules