Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > This is fun, anyone else get this?

This is fun, anyone else get this?
BrandoTheBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 08:29 PM

I had purchased a new 12 inch iBook 600 and got it last week... anyway from what I was led to believe, it was only suppose to have a 4x burner... well I booted up toast to do a backup and apparently it's the 8x version that I thought was only going into the 14 inch... anyone else get this?

Brando

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 09:53 PM

sh*t!

guess i ordered my iBook a couple'a'weeks to soon.

really cool for you.

but then - my iBook is really, really cool.
could have been really, really, really cool with the 8x burner.

such is life, i guess.

still happy with my 'Book.

macusrX
Mar 15, 2002, 11:00 PM

it 's true. it's true. the newer 12.1" iBooks do have the 8x8x8x24 Sony CD-RW/DVD drives like the 14.1"......

logic is really simple here- apple is not going to source two different combo drives. so newer machines (and some refurbs with nedw optical drives) get the 8x drive.

apple's own developer notes on the iBook no longer differentiate a 12.1" combo drive from a 14.1" combo. only reasom i think they still do on the sales page is that there is still some of the older stock out there with 4x drives.....

What i really want to know though is the specs from Sony. i have seen noted on japanese pages that the Sony CRX800e drive could burn up to 20x but i think apple has "disabled it" from burning that fast....

Forum Links
Forum Rules