Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung plant may be delayed because of lost Apple orders

Samsung plant may be delayed because of lost Apple orders
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 7, 2012, 12:51 PM

Samsung is "likely" to postpone building a new semiconductor plant in Hwaseong, South Korea because of Apple, according to DigiTimes. The facility, known as Line-17, was originally expected to start volume production in the first quarter of 2014, but DigiTimes suggests that Samsung may be worried about losing some of its orders for Apple processors. Sources tell the website that Samsung will no longer be the only manufacturer of the A-series chips used in iPhones and iPads; currently these are produced at a Samsung plant in Austin, Texas.

While DigiTimes has a mixed track record, rumors have previously hinted that TSMC could take over some of the supply of processors starting late next year. Apple is also widely believed to be trying to distance itself from Samsung, with which it's engaged in numerous patent disputes, and is now a major competitor in the smartphone realm thanks to phones like the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note II. Apple recently recruited a former Samsung chip designer, Jim Mergard. Although Apple customizes the processors in iPhones and iPads, it bases its designs on ARM templates, and is dependent on third-party manufacturers to actually produce them. Its latest chip is the A6X, found in the fourth-generation iPad.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2012, 01:01 PM

I was thinking of buying a couple of drives for my mac and have a choice of WD or Sammy - given the latter's business ethics guess who just lost a sale...?

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2012, 01:07 PM

What goes around comes around. It's time for the copycat to pay the price.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2012, 01:12 PM

This is about semiconductors, though, not hard drives.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2012, 01:34 PM

Samsung will continue to be a supplier to Apple for memory chips and SSD technology. However, Apple will rely less on Samsung for processors and displays, as these are critical technologies driving the competitiveness of products in the mobile phone and tablet markets at the moment. As the tablet market matures, we may see a shift in what components Apple is willing to purchase for Samsung.

mojkarma
Nov 7, 2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
I was thinking of buying a couple of drives for my mac and have a choice of WD or Sammy - given the latter's business ethics guess who just lost a sale...?
Geez, I wouldn't put such a nonsense on public. You avoid Samsung because of some "business ethics" but you probably don't have any complains about the 'human ethics" involved in making the iphone for example in facilities where people work for 12 hours a day, every day, for 100$ per month.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mojkarma View Post
Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
Geez, I wouldn't put such a nonsense on public. You avoid Samsung because of some "business ethics" but you probably don't have any complains about the 'human ethics" involved in making the iphone for example in facilities where people work for 12 hours a day, every day, for 100$ per month.
That's a tired and fallacious argument, given that his point was about choosing the less "evil" (in his perception) option.

In the "human ethics" department that you mention, Apple IS by all accounts the least "evil" choice, as they invest heavily into having their workers treated substantially better than any other brands'.
And even if you don't believe that, then they're STILL equal to all other brands, since they all outsource their manufacturing to the same companies. Which leaves you with no better option other than total rejection.

Good luck.

Also, Foxconn workers make a lot more than $100 a month (more like $400 if memory serves), and the Foxconn workers employed to make Apple devices make about 30% more than others, IIRC.

$400 is a LOT of money if the cost of living is 1/5 of what you're used to.

mojkarma
Nov 7, 2012, 11:21 PM

Personally, I choose my devices on what I consider as being the best for me and my needs/purposes. I definitely don't apply some childish approaches, considering "business ethics" or similar crap. So, somebody avoids Samsungs HD's but they probably accept using an iphone/ipad where crucial parts are from the very same supplier with highly suspicious "business ethics".
You either see the point or you don't.

And I'd rather not comment about whether 400$ is enough somewhere or not. You have to live there and see how those workers live every single day. It doesn't make it better just because other companies use them too. You should know that as an adult person that such arguments are everything but serious.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2012, 11:49 PM

I stopped buying Samsung products about 2 years ago.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2012, 01:54 AM

Personally, I choose my devices on what I consider as being the best for me and my needs/purposes. I definitely don't apply some childish approaches, considering "business ethics" or similar crap. So, somebody avoids Samsungs HD's but they probably accept using an iphone/ipad where crucial parts are from the very same supplier with highly suspicious "business ethics".
You either see the point or you don't.
Agreed.

Though I do generally (not so much with electronics) make some buying decisions based upon business practices, where possible.

And I'd rather not comment about whether 400$ is enough somewhere or not. You have to live there and see how those workers live every single day.
You brought up the wages; you'd better expect to get called on them.
Wages are very much a relative thing. $400 in Guangdong gets your family a LOT farther than in NYC, where it probably doesn't even cover the cost of parking.
Different standards DO apply, whether you want them to or not.

It doesn't make it better just because other companies use them too. You should know that as an adult person that such arguments are everything but serious.
Didn't you just use EXACTLY that argument above?
somebody avoids Samsungs HD's but they probably accept using an iphone/ipad where crucial parts are from the very same supplier with highly suspicious "business ethics".
Oh yeah, you did.
Your point isn't as simplistic as you claim mine was, though for some reason you expect me to give you the benefit of the doubt, while you don't give me th same.
Except I didn't say it was better because others were doing the same thing. I said that in some matters, you have choice over the "evilness" of your options, and in some matters, you don't.

Given the choice of buying from assholes or buying from people who aren't assholes, all other things being equal, I'll buy from the less nasty people.

Where I don't have a choice (such as a cellular contract, where all companies are assholes), or where there are other major differences, I will let other factors govern my decision.

Either you see that point, or you don't.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2012, 10:05 AM

Welcome to the 99%, Samsung.
This is your "new normal."

Forum Links
Forum Rules