Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Analyst says Apple HDTV still coming in 2013

Analyst says Apple HDTV still coming in 2013
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 22, 2013, 04:49 PM

Apple is still working to launch a TV set this year with a new remote, says Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster. The analyst tells Bloomberg in an audio interview that the information is based on checks with Asian suppliers. He suggests that Apple is hoping to solve two problems with the set: the first is a better form of remote control, while the second, "down the road," is content on demand.

Munster has predicted the launch of an Apple TV set since at least 2009. In the past couple of years that position has gained traction, mostly because of claims by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in his biography that he had "cracked" a TV interface; at the same time, though, recent reports have cast doubt on a set arriving this year, and the company has struggled with content deals. Currently the TV industry is based on package deals, in which cable and satellite providers have to buy the rights to several channels at once in order to get what they're really after. That approach is also used when the providers sell channels to consumers. Content-on-demand could therefore undermine many parties, who might also be worried about Apple having the same control of TV as it has with music.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM. )

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 PM

So Munster is predicting an Apple TV set this year. And a broken (mechanical) clock is right twice a day.

The good news for Munster: eventually he'll either be right and successfully predict the year that Apple releases an Apple TV set. The bad news for Munster: Apple might never release their own TV set, and if they do, and he's eventually right with his yearly prediction, then he'll have to think of some other industry for Apple to disrupt.
Sent from my iPad Simulator

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2013, 08:37 PM

Re: "Content-on-demand could therefore undermine many parties, who might also be worried about Apple having the same control of TV as it has with music."

The music industry has been totally disrupted, forever, by Apple. The movie and TV industry will fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening, and they will probably successfully do so. Until one of two things happen:

1. If pirating of movies and TV shows becomes as widespread as pirating of music was, back in the early 2000s, then the movie and TV content providers will have no choice but to sign deals with Apple. Apple would step in and save them, the same way they saved the music industry.

2. If Apple can prove that iTunes and whatever hardware they come up with (possibly their own TV set) can provide extra revenue for the content providers, and that extra revenue doesn't come at the expense of too much revenue lost from legacy delivery mechanisms (broadcast, cable, satellite, with legacy advertising) then the content providers will sign deals with Apple. Apple would need to prove to the content providers that there is an opportunity cost if they don't go through iTunes + Apple hardware.

Oh, and I almost hate to say it, but I'm certain that iAd will be a part of any possible Apple re-imagining of the television experience.
Sent from my iPad Simulator

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 23, 2013, 02:54 PM

ads... no ship sherlock. Rocksolid got that one right. I hate stupid advertisements. I remember when Tivo got sued for nearly eliminating all commercials in there recording/playback scheme. Imagine a world without mind control and interference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules