Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Adobe user data breach massive, 38 million compromised by hackers

Adobe user data breach massive, 38 million compromised by hackers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 29, 2013, 09:15 PM

Updating its customers on a data theft it experienced a month ago, Adobe Systems said today that the magnitude of the lost information was far larger than it originally disclosed. Eclipsing previous estimates, Adobe has revealed that more than 38 million customer accounts, plus source code for Photoshop, Acrobat, ColdFusion, and ColdFusion Builder has been stolen by the hackers.

The user data taken was described as "many invalid Adobe IDs, inactive Adobe IDs, Adobe IDs with invalid encrypted passwords and test account data" by Adobe spokesperson Heather Edell. The company is continuing its investigation to determine which service users are affected. Edell claims that the company wasn't aware of unauthorized use of Adobe accounts as a direct result of the attack. "Our investigation is still ongoing," she said. "We anticipate the full investigation will take some time to complete."

The company is also notifying all banks that process customer payments for Adobe of the breach to help protect customer accounts. Federal law enforcement agencies have also been contacted, and Adobe says it is assisting in their investigations. While saying that "cyber attacks are one of the unfortunate realities of doing business today," Adobe Chief Security Officer Brad Arkin said the company "deeply regrets" that the incident occurred, and that "we will work aggressively to prevent these types of events from occurring in the future."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 30, 2013 at 03:43 AM. )

kerryb
Oct 30, 2013, 08:31 AM

I received a letter recently that appeared to be from Adobe which recommend i sign up for "free" one years identity protection plan. Being the skeptic person I am I figured out the letter came from a third party trying to profit from the Adobe hack. If you get one of these letters (it is on cheap paper with the Adobe logo on the top right) I suggest you toss it out.

xomniron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 12:36 PM

Personal information out in the open now is a big concern, of course. But also, source code has been stolen. So, does this mean GIMP will suddenly acquire some more features like Photoshop has?

robttwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 02:25 PM

Buy our products, only available on the cloud. And oh yeah, we can't protect your personal data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules