Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Facebook?

View Poll Results: Do you have a Facebook account?
Poll Options:
I do, and I'm addicted to it. 4 votes (14.29%)
I do, but I check it sporadically. 7 votes (25.00%)
I do, but I hate it, and I am thinking of deleting it. 4 votes (14.29%)
I did, but I deleted it and never looked back. 6 votes (21.43%)
I don't. Never have. Never will. 7 votes (25.00%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Do You Facebook?
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 04:18 PM

Years ago, I signed up for Facebook and then did my best to transition my friends from MySpace to the up-and-coming social network.

Now I hate it, and I'm on the precipice of deleting my account.

Do you guys have Facebook accounts? Did you? Do you regret ever signing up? Do you regret deleting your account? You get the idea.

Discuss.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 04:22 PM

I honestly check it maybe once a week now. There was an article about how checking facebook made people unhappy, and I believe it. If I'm not being shown the best parts of other peoples lives, I'm being subjected to their vapid, empty thoughts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2013, 04:25 PM

After holding out forever, I finally succumbed a few weeks ago. Not having inside access was messing with business.

Under a pseudonym, though. You're only going to know I'm there if I want you too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2013, 04:26 PM

What the **** is a poke, BTW?

I can guess, but I'd like a description from someone who uses it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 04:29 PM

Honestly I haven't seen a poke since maybe 2007.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2013, 04:30 PM

Rimshot!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 04:32 PM

Three of our musicians found the poke feature for the first time a few months ago. They simultaneously poked me at 3 AM. I responded, and the Poke War of 2013 began.

In all honestly, the only reason I haven't deleted it already is because my blog gets about 80% of its hits from the links I post on Facebook. I'm beginning to think it's just not worth it though. Especially since everyone that has my real Email address seems to prefer sending me Facebook message instead.

Also, I forgot to make this poll public. Oh, well.

andi*pandi
Nov 6, 2013, 04:59 PM

I have it, I check it way too often, but I have cut back some. I've noticed, perhaps the facebook algorithym is showing me fewer people, and I get more business posts (amazon, I mean you).

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2013, 05:26 PM

deleted it.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2013, 05:48 PM

I have one, but I never post anything.

Too many people in my life use it as a primary source of communication for me to completely ignore it.

Plus, it's fun to check it out now and then.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Is it? If you're find it fun, I congratulate you. You must be doing something right, either personally or in your choice of connections.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 06:18 PM

I have it and keep and eye on it fairly regularly, it's a good way to plan events and surprise birthday parties and whatnot. I rarely post but when I do it's usually a silly Simpsons quote or a link to some nifty tech-related thing.

I only have about 100 friends, and of those only about a dozen or so I'd actually give a shit about at any given time. I ruthlessly block people from my timeline, mostly girls, because they use it as their personal brain-vomit canvas. Another thing I won't suffer is people complaining about asinine things in their relatively comfortable lives. If you have access to a computer (or smartphone, etc..) and Facebook your life isn't that bad. The rest of my friends tend to keep things light and a good portion of them can get a chuckle out of me, usually the ones I hang out with in real life.

One thing that annoys me almost as much as the "can't go without it" crowd is the "don't have it and think it's stupid to use FB at all" crowd. There's a couple that are good friends and they refuse to have a Facebook account, so now when we plan get-togethers they have to be notified separately. I mean, if you aren't going to use it every waking moment why not just sign up to stay in the loop and never use it otherwise? It's like not getting an email account and expecting people to work on some other level of tech to keep you in the loop.

I guess I credit my enjoyment and continued use of FB to my decently-sized group of close friends and their general interesting nature.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2013, 06:32 PM

This may sound stupid, or actually be stupid, but someone needed to point out to me you don't have to use your real name.

Once I realized that, I signed up immediately, and for the reason you mentioned. Business shit was getting planned on Facebook and I was the annoying ****er.

Being annoying though was 100% based on letting sleeping dogs lie, not me wanting to being a jackass.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is it? If you're find it fun, I congratulate you. You must be doing something right, either personally or in your choice of connections.
There ya go. That's the key.

My traveling and the social aspects of my vocation almost require me to accept friend requests that I normally would never consider. I likely have over 90% of my friends list muted, but they still have the ability to message me, which results in some awkward "You never responded" conversations at conferences and such.

If there was a way to disable Facebook messages, I wouldn't consider leaving, especially since the new app allows you to mute people very easily. Dunbar's number still applies to Facebook, but not many of us realize that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2013, 09:10 PM

I agree completely. Having used it a bit, I completely see the appeal, but I'm convinced the key for it not to be a nightmare for me is keep it incredibly narrow, which means constantly fighting the urge to cross the streams from different parts of my life.

From what I can tell, this is really where things go pear-shaped. Some parts of your life need to be walled off from the others. It's not supposed to be a giant flat-file.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2013, 12:32 AM

I joined Facebook back when it was only open to universities.

I use Facebook all the time to keep up with family and to organize events with friends that live locally. I don't post that often, but I check it regularly and enjoy seeing the news stories that my friends post.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

Under a pseudonym, though.
That's almost as annoying as not using it at all. A friend of mine was doing that - you constantly had to think "what's Ed's Facebook name again" and then just didn't bother.

Just keep the privacy settings tight and all will be well.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2013, 08:44 AM

I have a Facebook account simply because my inlaws (and some friends) use it exclusively to post family/get-together/party information. I, myself, don't use it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
That's almost as annoying as not using it at all. A friend of mine was doing that - you constantly had to think "what's Ed's Facebook name again" and then just didn't bother.
I actually don't mind that much.

What makes me want to bang my head on the desk is people who create pseudonyms AFTER they sign up.

So you'll have somebody called Ju Lia, but her page URL will be facebook.com/julia.reallastname and you're just sitting there going

'Tis all the rage in Germany.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2013, 10:03 AM

Had one but deleted it. Too irritating.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2013, 10:04 AM

Nope. Never. No. I'd rather not.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2013, 12:53 PM

Ditched it. Nothing but teeny brains and kids on it. Look at your NetFlix row "Popular on Facebook" Its all for 9 year old girls.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2013, 01:02 PM

Just keep the privacy settings tight and all will be well.
My pseudonym is memorable, and I'm in the necessary private groups.

This isn't a privacy issue, it's a me blowing people off issue. If I used my real name I'd get people (mostly family) who I'm trying to avoid after me.

Also, you facebook people are bunch of ****in' whiners.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2013, 07:56 AM

I signed up to keep in contact with my grad school classmates. Then I found out my brother and sister were on it. Then a bunch of high school classmates. Then more relatives... So I am still "active," but only sporadically, and I have to remember to check it instead of living with my browser on Facebook.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2013, 09:12 AM

My friends, siblings, and extended family are spread out all over the world. It's been an invaluable tool to keep up with them. I guess I've been lucky in that there are very few people posting inane bullshit. Mostly announcements about life events and milestones. For me the key has been to be very selective about friend requests. I think I have about 50 friends.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 10:15 AM

I've got friends and family spread out around the globe, and it was interesting at first to see what everyone else is upto, and touch base with them after years. But over the past 6 months, I went from logging in every other day, to once a week and now once every fortnight.

I was getting sick of sifting through the inane bs, baby pics and food pics. For my close circle, I find myself emailing or using skype/phone. I've been on facebook for about 3 years now , and i am considering deleting my account in the near future. I'll admit i was very regular on it when i first signed up, but looking back, it just seems like a massive waste of time.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 01:14 PM

Signed up when the gaming clan that I was part of had website problems. Haven't deleted my Facebook account and my special 'This-is-for-Net-crap' gmail account is still getting mails about Friend requests. Banned wifey from using it after she wanted to put up photos of the kids.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2013, 04:51 PM

We, and everybody I know who's a parent, puts up pics of their kids all the time. Why the concern?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 04:53 PM

Ugly kids.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2013, 12:36 AM

We, and everybody I know who's a parent, puts up pics of their kids all the time. Why the concern?
I'm curious to hear more about this as well. I have a newborn and haven't posted any pictures online, but I can't figure out why myself. I just know that once I do there's no going back. All of my friends post pictures and it is kind of annoying to have my feed full of baby pictures. Maybe that's why I don't post any.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm curious to hear more about this as well. I have a newborn and haven't posted any pictures online, but I can't figure out why myself. I just know that once I do there's no going back. All of my friends post pictures and it is kind of annoying to have my feed full of baby pictures. Maybe that's why I don't post any.
Don't hold back. Your family members and fellow parents will love it.

But couples without children will roll their eyes and even post passive-aggressive complaint statuses.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2013, 03:43 AM

If it doesn't make me money, I don't need it nor want it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 07:50 AM

Do you have pictures of your kids stuck against your car windows? House? As stickers on a briefcase? Why not?

I send a link to galleries of pictures of my kids to people that I want to see them. The link could be sent on, or the people that have the pictures could respost them, but then they would only have access to a certain gallery, instead of all my pictures. The links aren't public.

I don't like sharing information too much, especially when it comes to my kids. At 18, they can choose if they want their pictures online.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
But couples without children will roll their eyes and even post passive-aggressive complaint statuses.
I remove picture statuses from my feed. Seems easier.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 10:14 AM

It's cool when a friend/couple announce their baby with a pic or two. But when you have 3-4 couples constantly posting random baby pics.... ugh. boring/annoying.

"You gaatttaaa see the bayyybeee" (Seinfeld)

andi*pandi
Nov 12, 2013, 10:40 AM

I post family photos, I think that's sort of the point. I used to send family links to mac galleries, but those are no more... so instead everyone's on facebook and looks for them there.

If I sort facebook posts into certain categories, then organize them by annoyingness, then in the order of most annoying to least:

Ads or sponsored posts
Social media whoring by companies I've liked (Like this post if you ate our crackers today!)
Inaccurate political conspiracy theories
game invitations (but these usually only show up in notifications now)
things that show in my feed that shouldn't (friends posting on someone's wall that I'm not friends with)
Food posts (depends if I'm hungry)
weather update pictures (unless major)
Good deals or funny posts by companies I've liked

interesting/scenic pictures
baby pictures/family pictures
posts from my close family and friends

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Do you have pictures of your kids stuck against your car windows? House?
Here's stuck against house windows.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 03:46 PM

Window licker?

Hope this isn't your own kid, the comment above is meant as a joke.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 03:49 PM

If it is my kid, I deserve whatever I get.

Also, perfect for an Aphex Twin video on multiple levels.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 04:05 PM

Urban dictionary definition was what I was talking about.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 04:08 PM

I think Richard James was, too.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It's cool when a friend/couple announce their baby with a pic or two. But when you have 3-4 couples constantly posting random baby pics.... ugh. boring/annoying.

"You gaatttaaa see the bayyybeee" (Seinfeld)
"Who do you think she looks like?"

"Lyndon Johnson."

Seinfeld and Kramer finally get to "see the baby" - YouTube

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Do you have pictures of your kids stuck against your car windows? House? As stickers on a briefcase? Why not?

I send a link to galleries of pictures of my kids to people that I want to see them. The link could be sent on, or the people that have the pictures could respost them, but then they would only have access to a certain gallery, instead of all my pictures. The links aren't public.

I don't like sharing information too much, especially when it comes to my kids. At 18, they can choose if they want their pictures online.
AFAIK, you are perfectly capable of doing this on FB as well.

Recently had a good party and a few great/embarrassing videos and photos surfaced...simply stuck them on FB with privacy settings so that only specific people could view them.

Of course, you still can't control what those people then choose do with them...but it's the same problem whether it's a private web page or your grandma's photo album.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules