Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook hangs at boot up -- why??????

TiBook hangs at boot up -- why??????
mercuryman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 03:15 AM

hi folks --

my tibook (400/384) has been working great. in the last week or so, though, it has started to hang a bit at start up -- basically at the time when the desktop icons get placed. Hang lasts 20-30 seconds, then all is well.

I have not put any new software in, nor have I made any other changes to the system. Being a new Mac user, I don't have an idea as to how to 'fix' this.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance

marc
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 08:58 AM

If you did not Shut Down properly then there will be a delay on startup while the machine cleans up left over stuff (you will hear the HD working). Since, I assume, this is not the case, here is the general procedure for tracking this type of thing:

Go to the Extension Manager control panel and select Mac OS All. Restart. If you do not get the hang, the problem is in one of your extensions. Usually it is the one whose icon has just appeared, or the one that is about to appear, but you can hone in on it by gradually turning your other extensions on.

If you do get the hang, then it is in some OS extension. My guess would be something like web or file sharing (are you on a network?). Repeat the above procedure by selecting Mac OS Base. This can be time consuming, but it usally works. Whether know it or not, or did it or not, something did change. Good luck

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2001, 10:02 AM

This is due to network settings. Is your Ti plugged into an Ethernet or AirPort network? If so, check the AppleTalk control panel to make sure the appropriate protocol is selected.

Second, check inside your System Folder for the "Servers" folder. If there is anything in it, get rid of it.

Let us know how it goes...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 24, 2001, 03:36 PM

Or better, shut off AppleTalk altogether and just turn it on when needed. I keep it off so that by habit I know it's off, which also saves battery power.

The TCP/IP control panel can also be a major cause of delays: if TCP/IP is set to use DHCP, finding a DHCP server can take several seconds. Not finding a DHCP server can take much longer, because the DHCP timeout is very long. So if you use AppleTalk and DHCP, use the Location Manager to set up an alternate network set with both of those turned off, for use when you are not at the network.

tooki

[This message has been edited by tooki (edited 03-24-2001).]

mercuryman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 09:17 PM

marc, Misha, and tooki:

Thanks for your time & input.

- marc's extention manager test suggested the prob is related to Mac OS

- Appletalk had not been on (tooki)

- Misha's suggestion about deleting stuff in the server's folder seems to have done it (I had copied a few files over at my library job at my university and these servers were in this folder).

This being said, the time from power on to full usability is 1 min. 18 sec. Is this about right? The control strip **seems to take a couple more seconds than before to show, but it may be my imagination!!!

Again, thanks for the useful info. It is printed out and in my troubleshooting folder!!

kidatari
Mar 26, 2001, 04:42 PM

I also found that having websharing on while not having a connection to the internet causes boot to freeze for 30 seconds. The reason for this is that the websharing extension is looking for an IP address.

Turning off websharing fixes it (of course). Hope it helps.
-- kidatari
-- kidatari(at)earthlink.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules