Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Which extension(s) need to be updated?

Which extension(s) need to be updated?
futzpucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2002, 12:42 AM

I burned a CD on my iMac using an external burner. The CD is fine, which is to say it performs fine on the other iMacs in the building, but it won't show up on my brother's desktop (he has an old power pc tower running OS 8.6).

I had the same problem on my old power pc tower; it was recommended that I replace an old extension with a newer version. I did replace it, and the CD then worked perfectly.

The problem is that I can't remember who told me to replace the extension (so I could ask again), and I can't remember which extension I upgraded that allowed a CD I couldn't previously see (and temporarily froze the computer with the exception of the cursor only - until I ejected the CD) to show up on my desktop and work perfectly.

Does this ring a bell to anyone such that they know which extension to replace? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2002, 01:58 AM

I don't have a definitive answer, but some extensions to consider are: Audio CD Access, Foreign File Access, ISO 9660 File Access, UDF Volume Access, and Apple Packet Media Access. Let us know if these help!

futzpucker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2002, 10:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'll forward your information to my brother, let him check to see if he has recent versions of the extensions you listed, and we'll see what happens.

Much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules