Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why can't I download QT movies in MS Explorer 5?

Why can't I download QT movies in MS Explorer 5?
otacon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 02:41 AM

I'm not sure why, but everytime I view a QT mov file, mpeg and I want to download it to my HD, the option is never available. I checked the preferences of both Quicktime & Internet Explorer and all seem to logically enable saving. Also seem to have trouble viewing avi's, even though my Quicktime is specified as the plug-in for them. I am using Internet Explorer 5 & QT4 here. Any suggestions?

MrWinther
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 09:25 AM

Have you tried to hold down the command or ctrl key while pressing the mouse button on top of the movie. You should then get option to save.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2001, 05:29 PM

when you have finished downloading the movie, on the bottom right hand side of the movie window there is an arrow pointing down,click on it and save as a quicktime movie.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2001, 05:14 AM

Unless you have a registered copy of QuickTime, the save option is greyed out.

Also, QuickTime is not so good with .avi as there are quite a few different codecs. You are most likely trying to open an .avi file which has been compressed with a codec unfamiliar to QuickTime.

loudpedal
Forum Regular
May 18, 2001, 12:35 PM

You may not be open to this, but I've just downloaded the Mac version of Windows Media Player on my machine. I rarely use it but it does come in handy for the occasional .avi file that comes my way.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules