Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Indigo iMac Sleep Problem

New Indigo iMac Sleep Problem
valkyre
Sep 8, 2000, 02:16 PM

Greetings. I just received my new 799 Indigo iMac yesterday, and after setting it up, and playing for a few hours, I put the iMac to sleep, and went to bed.

I went to wake it up in the morning, and it would spin up the harddrive, but would never turn on the monitor. I tried rebooting it, no luck. I completely powered it off, unplugged it from the wall, and still no luck. Any ideas what is wrong?

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2000, 06:10 PM

If you unplugged it from the wall, and it would not start after you plugged it back it, then it is not asleep. Your power button is probably stuck or defective. Have it looked at. HTH

valkyre
Sep 8, 2000, 09:24 PM

Well it will still startup, it makes the boot noise, I can hear the hard disk spin up. But the monitor just won't come on. I've tried zapping PRAM as well, and to no avail.

I can't believe this, it's only *1* day old.

-v

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2000, 09:42 PM

Unless you love a mystery there is no point in trying to figure it out. If you can take it back to where you bought it, swap it for a new machine. Otherwise take it to the nearest authorized dealer and have it fixed. This is what warranties are for. Good luck.

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2000, 11:08 AM

valkyre, That blows. It's not anything that you are missing, you got a bad one. Bring it back, or (if I am not mistaken you got it from the Apple Store) call them and see if they can do a capture and send you a new one. You got the Warranty, use it.

valkyre
Sep 9, 2000, 12:45 PM

Yah, I got it from the apple store, and that's why I'm reluctant to want to send it back, as I've heard the horror stories about tremendous delays in getting it returned. But that's looking like what I'll have to do.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
-v

Danny DLT
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2000, 05:13 PM

Sorry if this sounds stupid but if you were going to bed for the night then why couldn't you have just shut it down completley? That way you might not have this problem right now.

Just a thought,

--Danny
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/192/10/9.1

duel
Sep 9, 2000, 06:17 PM

I'm wondering, how did you try to restart your comp. Did the resest button not work? Or did you try to restart it from the keyboard (which does not work by the way)?

valkyre
Sep 9, 2000, 06:24 PM

Tried the reset button, tried the power button.

There is no power button on the new extended keyboards, so no, I didn't use the keyboard one.

-v

marc
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2000, 08:56 PM

You do not have to send it back. Any place that services Macs will fix it under warranty. Apple reimburses them for this. HTH

jhounslow
Sep 10, 2000, 12:47 PM

I'm having the same problem on my iMac DV. So I consulted the technical info Library on Apple's web site (I just happened to be doing that while also readig this forum looking for suggestions).

The TIL has a few documents outlining this problem and suggestions on how to fix it. Start here: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30808

The main culprits:
- Energy Saver control panel
- USB conflict
- Multiprocessing Folder in the extensions folder

Interestingly, the TIL has this to say about the Energy Saver control panel:

The Energy Saver control panel utilizes settings saved in files on the hard disk. Energy Saver settings are not stored in the Parameter RAM (PRAM) on the logic board but certain PRAM values, including AppleTalk, may affect its performance. If a PRAM value or related preference file becomes invalid it may cause various Energy Saver setting issues.

And this about the Multiprocessing file:

The files in this folder do not occupy any significant RAM or hard disk space, so you will not benefit by removing it. Although your Macintosh may have a single processor, we strongly discourage removing the Multiprocessing folder. Applications which are multiprocessor-aware rely on the software in this folder and may crash if it is not present. Also, some recent Macintosh models may not wake from sleep if this folder is removed.

If all this fails, call a local certified Apple dealer to diagnoss and hopefully repair any problems. This type of work is covered under your Apple care warranty. And you can call any dealer, it doesn't have to be the one you urched your Mac from.

I haven't had a chance to try any of the fixes they mentioned. When i do figure it out, I'll post what worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules