Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quartz Extreme Controversy: Can it run on Gigabit Ethernet PowerBooks?

Quartz Extreme Controversy: Can it run on Gigabit Ethernet PowerBooks?
Norm1985
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 07:52 PM

As late as even a couple weeks or even a week ago people may have bought Gigabit Ethernet (550/667MHz) PowerBook G4s. Less than a week ago, Apple introduced the DVI (667/800MHz) PowerBook G4s. The older (Gigabit Ethernet) (550/667) PowerBooks included an 4x AGP ATi RADEON Mobility 16MB DDR graphics chipset.

Now, here's the controversy:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/

Jaguar dramatically improves the performance of Mac OS X with Quartz Extreme. Jaguar lets Quartz offload compositing tasks to a supported* video card, using OpenGL to accelerate the drawing and compositing of graphics. As with the benefits 3D games get from a video co-processor, the main CPU chip(s) can then focus on application-specific needs.
That means your shadows will drop quickly, your genies will appear slicker and your transparencies will layer faster � and Mac OS X can do more processing in the background while you move the foreground.
*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.
VERSUS

Jobs being quoted as saying 32MBs and 2x AGP are required. - According to MacCentral

Which do you think is true? Will the Gigabit Ethernet PowerBook G4s have Quartz Extreme or no?

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

thewoof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 08:02 PM

Do you really want this on a Powerbook? On my revB 667PB the very loud fan goes on as soon as I use an OpenGL game. How much will extreme aqua be using the gpu? enough to turn the heavy fan on?

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by thewoof:
<STRONG>Do you really want this on a Powerbook? On my revB 667PB the very loud fan goes on as soon as I use an OpenGL game. How much will extreme aqua be using the gpu? enough to turn the heavy fan on?</STRONG>
I personally want as much speed as possible on my 550 since Mac OS X defintly needs some improvments in this area.

[email protected]

thewoof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Norm1985:
<STRONG>

I personally want as much speed as possible on my 550 since Mac OS X defintly needs some improvments in this area.</STRONG>
true, me too. I am just scared by the fan. As games use the cpu at 100%, no wonder the fan goes on. But will the intensive usage of the graphic card alone generate too much heat?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:18 PM

I think it will work, someone should call an apple store and see what they know.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

applenut1
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by thewoof:
<STRONG>Do you really want this on a Powerbook? On my revB 667PB the very loud fan goes on as soon as I use an OpenGL game. How much will extreme aqua be using the gpu? enough to turn the heavy fan on?</STRONG>
that's a great point. thanks for bringing that up. didn't even think of that

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:40 PM

Remember, the Stevenotes just serve to summarize things. I would trust the official written word over a brief sentence in the Stevenote.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Arty50:
<STRONG>Remember, the Stevenotes just serve to summarize things. I would trust the official written word over a brief sentence in the Stevenote.</STRONG>
Agreed.

Steve has made several mistakes in his keynotes before. Don't sweat it.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 09:50 PM

It's just odd because the RADEON in the Gigabit Ethernet PowerBook G4s is the only RADEON with less than 32megs.

[email protected]

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 09:57 PM

I definitely hope that it'll work, my TiBook is only 5 months old. One good thing is that offloading the load to the CPU would probably make the fan come on less often, since a lot of the load is taken off of the CPU, which is a major heat producer. Just like how the Radeon takes the load off the CPU for DVD playback and therefore increases battery life, I'd imagine power and heat savings for QE as well.

macusrX
May 6, 2002, 11:06 PM

let's put this in perspective- the Gigabit (550/667) owners will be better off than any iBook owner you have the Radeon and 16MB, so half of the recommended...... iBook has the Rage 128 which is not supported and only 8. i know this is not apples to apples and oranges to oranges but be glad for what u got!

MickS
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 05:11 AM

The web page says recommended for optimum performance, not required in order for it function at all. Looking at the wording I expect it to work in some circumstances e.g. on a single display, either the built-in TFT or an external display with the lid closed. It's a matter of available VRAM to manage the effects. It may be possible for it to work with some level of monitor spanning, lowish resolution, thousands of colours.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2002, 02:49 PM

Eliminating duplicate threads. Please use the following thread for Quartz Extreme discussion.

Quartz Extreme with only 16MB!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules