Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MIA: 10.2

MIA: 10.2
Sarc
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 10:38 PM

I'm not whining here, or looking to start a flame war. Being that said:

I'd like to discuss useful stuff that wasn't announced yet was expected.

-Packet Writing for CD-RW

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 11:23 PM

iBong built in.

macusrX
May 6, 2002, 11:25 PM

also not discussed:

Power Management for Laptops (and with a "recomended 32MB VRAM either power mgmt needs to be better or ATi and nVidia might want to improve even further power conservation)

even though it is not up to Apple- how about improvements to the web browser in speed and functionality? (in IE not all still sites work in X like in 9. and the other browsers also still have page rendering concerns for some pages)

nickm
Mac Enthusiast

Java 1.4
File Type metadatabase
PDF 1.3 for Quartz
Finder Labels

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex

software base station
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

MickS
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by nickm:
<STRONG>File Type metadatabase
</STRONG>
With the relatively recent hire of the BeOS FS designer I wouldn't expect any moves in this respect until 10.3. The implementation of a new file system incorporating a meta database will have knock on effects across all of the system so isn't something that could be crammed in in time for 10.2.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by lucylawless:
<STRONG>software base station</STRONG>
Yeah, this is another area of concern. Is there any news on this?

(Although technically you should be able to share a connection over any network interface, not just en1 (AirPort). And, while they're at it, why not throw in network bridging as well to bring us up to feature parity with Windows XP?)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2002, 05:35 AM

I'd like to discuss useful stuff that wasn't announced yet was expected.

-Packet Writing for CD-RW
Yeah, I think we need threads that focus more on the negative�
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 05:47 AM

Packet Writing for CD-RW is cool and should be in Jaguar, but all we know about Jaguar is just from a short keynote.

I don't think Apple would show everything new in Jaguar and only show the "cool" stuff.
I guess there is a lot more in Jaguar than just things like iChat and springloaded folders or inkwell. Apple will keep some secrets until the releas of Jaguar (as 10.2 or 10.5)

That said i really hope Apple will include packet writing for cd-rw in Jaguar.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
<STRONG>Packet Writing for CD-RW is cool and should be in Jaguar, but all we know about Jaguar is just from a short keynote.

I don't think Apple would show everything new in Jaguar and only show the "cool" stuff.
I guess there is a lot more in Jaguar than just things like iChat and springloaded folders or inkwell. Apple will keep some secrets until the releas of Jaguar (as 10.2 or 10.5)

That said i really hope Apple will include packet writing for cd-rw in Jaguar.</STRONG>
Yeah, packet-writing for CD-RW should be in Jaguar, but weren't there rumours going around that it was anyway? Therefore it must be.

Oh, and JDK 1.4 of course.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 09:38 AM

Apart from SLF, there wasn't much in terms of added usability in the Finder/desktop. I was expecting to see a little something added to the Dock, maybe pinning or the ability to customize things a bit. In any case, I expect there'll be another dog and pony show at MWNY that will focus more on consumer/end user issues, and maybe we'll see some of these things crop up by then.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by lucylawless:
<STRONG>software base station</STRONG>
You can already do this with OS X. I imagine the only reason you are complaining is because you haven't figured out how. Get IPNetShareX. It preconfigures a lot of stuff for you. If you want further configuration, some simple UNIX tweaks to the StartupItem that is installed will fix that.

Example: I have my laptop set up to access the internet over ethernet if it is plugged in and Airport if it is not. I can still access anything else on the ethernet network even if I'm only connecting via Airport.

All this is done through my OS X desktop computer.

Quit complaining. It's already there.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
<STRONG>You can already do this with OS X. I imagine the only reason you are complaining is because you haven't figured out how. Get IPNetShareX. It preconfigures a lot of stuff for you. If you want further configuration, some simple UNIX tweaks to the StartupItem that is installed will fix that.</STRONG>
That is SO not the point. I have my cable HSI connection shared over AirPort using IPNetShareX as well, but this is the sort of thing that should be a standard feature in the GUI of any modern operating system.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: kennethmac2000 ]

-Q-
May 7, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
<STRONG>Apart from SLF, there wasn't much in terms of added usability in the Finder/desktop. I was expecting to see a little something added to the Dock, maybe pinning or the ability to customize things a bit. In any case, I expect there'll be another dog and pony show at MWNY that will focus more on consumer/end user issues, and maybe we'll see some of these things crop up by then.</STRONG>
While it wasn't mentioned in the keynote, there appears to have been a modification to the dock. Minimized documents now appear to have the application icon with them as well, hopefully enabling a little easier identification. So there may be additional UI improvements that weren't discussed.

Check out the thread here.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2002, 12:00 PM

What about printing?

"an error occurred while printing" is not exactly descriptive, and rears it ugly little head too much for my tastes. I know they bought some kind of UNIX printing technology (CUPS), but have they not implemented any of it in 10.2? I'd like to be able to set different default printers in different applications some day.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

HamSandwich
May 7, 2002, 12:15 PM

-Apache 2
-Anti-Aliasing in carbon apps
-USB printer sharing
-iTunes 3
-iMovie 3
-Speed increases besides Quartz Extreme
-better dock organization possibilites

Steve

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>What about printing?

"an error occurred while printing" is not exactly descriptive, and rears it ugly little head too much for my tastes. I know they bought some kind of UNIX printing technology (CUPS), but have they not implemented any of it in 10.2? I'd like to be able to set different default printers in different applications some day.

CV</STRONG>
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/ :

"UNIX-based core updated with GCC 3 compiler, CUPS printing, POSIX additions and next generation IPv6 and IPSec networking."

CUPS: http://www.cups.org/

-spheric*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
<STRONG>-Speed increases besides Quartz Extreme
</STRONG>
Plenty has been made of the new compiler (GCC 3.1), with Avie Tevanian stating that they were going from something that was "mediocre at best to something truly outstanding".

That's fairly clear, I'd think.

-s*

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
<STRONG>Apart from SLF, there wasn't much in terms of added usability in the Finder/desktop. I was expecting to see a little something added to the Dock, maybe pinning or the ability to customize things a bit. In any case, I expect there'll be another dog and pony show at MWNY that will focus more on consumer/end user issues, and maybe we'll see some of these things crop up by then.</STRONG>
Yep.

-Q-
May 7, 2002, 01:14 PM

<STRONG>-Apache 2
-USB printer sharing
-iTunes 3
-iMovie 3

Steve</STRONG>

Well, dammit Steve! If they were important to you, why didn't you take the time to talk about them in the keynote?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 01:56 PM

<STRONG>-Apache 2
-USB printer sharing
-iTunes 3
-iMovie 3

Steve</STRONG>
I remember reading that USB printer sharing WILL be in Jaguar (check maccentrals "live" coverage page for the keynote). Anti-aliasing in carbon apps will be here in 10.1.5 and its fair to say that it'll be included in jaguar. WWDC is not the ideal place to release a new iTunes/iMovie (think MWNY). GCC 3.0/3.1 has already been pointed out...and finally, we already know that they will be working to improve the dock in anyway possible (throwable mini-icons, dock badges). I guess they weren't "big" enough to show off at the keynote (or time was a constraint)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/ :

"UNIX-based core updated with GCC 3 compiler, CUPS printing, POSIX additions and next generation IPv6 and IPSec networking."

CUPS: http://www.cups.org/

-spheric*</STRONG>
Didn't see that. That's good news-- printing is something holding an awful lot of people back from X.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules