Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I allow "Guest" ftp?

Can I allow "Guest" ftp?
simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 09:57 AM

I have managed to get ftp working on a spare mac but I would like to allow outsiders to upload files to my "dropbox" by ftp. At the moment I can only access my home folder on the server with the full username/password. Then I can access and see the *whole* home folder. If I enter in "guest" as a password I get bumped off.

How can I allow a password of "guest" and then allow read/write access only to one specific folder?

I could create a user of guest/guest but it's not very elegant... (read Mac-like! :-) and I'd like people to be able to drop docs into *my* dropbox...

Thanks

Simon
London Uk

<small>[ 07-11-2002, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: simonmartin ]</small>
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2002, 11:12 AM

You pretty much have to make a guest account. OS X (and other Unixes) don't allow more than on password for a given user name. Once you've done that you can set up a link so that your drop box shows up in the guest's home directory.

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 11:40 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by davechen:
<strong>You pretty much have to make a guest account. OS X (and other Unixes) don't allow more than on password for a given user name. Once you've done that you can set up a link so that your drop box shows up in the guest's home directory.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Dave,

That's a good idea... You mean just drop an alias of my dropbox into the shared (for instance) folder in the "guest" home folder?

I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Simon
London Uk
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2002, 01:28 PM

There's a more secure way of doing this, but it will take some NetInfo finagling:</font>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Create a user named "ftp" in group "ftp".</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Disable login for ftp, and point its shell to /dev/null (this user won't be doing formal logins anyway).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Set the home directory of ftp to be the folder containing your drop box (presumably /Users/username/Public).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Put yourself in the ftp group.</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">(Close out of NetInfo; we're done there).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">chgrp your Public folder (and the drop box) to ftp.</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Make your Public folder group readable and group writeable (user and group ONLY, not global).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Make your drop box (which should be in your Public folder) group writable, but readable only to you.
    </font></li>
<font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This will allow standard anonymous FTP, which will go into your Public folder.
DiSCLAIMER: I don't know if this is the most secure way of doing things. It's the most secure way I could think of to do what you want. There may be better ways, though. Yes, this is hard. There's a reason for that. Allowing anonymous FTP users to upload files is a huge security risk. The only time I ever got hacked was because of this, actually (I didn't use this method back then).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 01:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Millennium:
<strong>There's a more secure way of doing this, but it will take some NetInfo finagling:</font>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Disable login for ftp, and point its shell to /dev/null (this user won't be doing formal logins anyway).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Set the home directory of ftp to be the folder containing your drop box (presumably /Users/username/Public).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Put yourself in the ftp group.</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">(Close out of NetInfo; we're done there).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">chgrp your Public folder (and the drop box) to ftp.</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Make your Public folder group readable and group writeable (user and group ONLY, not global).</font></li>
  • <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Make your drop box (which should be in your Public folder) group writable, but readable only to you.
    </font></li>
<font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This will allow standard anonymous FTP, which will go into your Public folder.
DiSCLAIMER: I don't know if this is the most secure way of doing things. It's the most secure way I could think of to do what you want. There may be better ways, though. Yes, this is hard. There's a reason for that. Allowing anonymous FTP users to upload files is a huge security risk. The only time I ever got hacked was because of this, actually (I didn't use this method back then).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Millenniun,
Wow, thanks for that but it sounds a bit too complex for my brain, sadly. I might give it a go though...

At the moment I am attempting to get SAMBA running, using Xamba.

Do you think this might be an easier bet?

At the moment I'm falling at an early hurdle: When attempting to "Restart all NetInfo domains on localhost" in Netinfo Manager I get: "Can't finf process id for 'nibindd'"

I have emailed the developer but I don't know if you can help there...

Thanks mate

Simon
London Uk

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2002, 07:21 PM

Uhm... you might do all this....

Or you might check out VersionTracker! ;-)

Have a look at <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13170&db=mac" target="_blank">anonFTP</a> to do it all for you...

Have a nice day,

cu Martin

Forum Links
Forum Rules