Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I set browser type?

How do I set browser type?
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 10:44 AM

Sorry if this has been answered before as I'm not sure if I am using the correct terminology - hence I was not sure what to search for.

How within Safari or Firefox do I set what sort of browser it 'claims' to be? - I remember reading that you can set some browsers to pretend to be IE6 as 'seen' by the server they are connecting to.

The reason I ask is that I have recently started using my work's webmail and the interface is a bit basic via my Mac, but I noticed that via IE6 on Windows it is more fully featured - I am speculating that the server detects the browser type and will not serve the full features if it does nto detect IE6 - maybe it just will not work anyway, but I'd like to try it.

Thanks

Will

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006, 11:46 AM

The key phrase here is the "user agent" string.

For Firefox, there is a plugin that gives you a little menu to choose.

In Safari, use Safari Enhancer, PithHelmet, or any other Safari utility to enable Safari's debug menu. In it is a User Agent submenu to choose one of a few options.

As for your webmail: it might work on a non-IE browser, but it also might just rely on Windows-specific things. So don't be too surprised if you get weird behavior (if you get anything at all) when using Safari or Firefox to access the IE version of the page.

tooki

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 12:43 PM

This is more commonly termed "browser spoofing", fwiw.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys,
I found the Firefox plug-in and yes it sppofs the server which tries to give the full functionality but obviouly needs some windows bits. I could not get Safari Enhancer or PithHelmet to work despite downloading supposedly the correct versions for 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3, thanks anyway for the tips - I'll go and buy a Dell.....

(only joking....)

Will

Forum Links
Forum Rules