Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Back for the Attack: Neo-Progressive Skullduggery 2.0

Back for the Attack: Neo-Progressive Skullduggery 2.0 (Page 6)
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 6, 2016, 04:57 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:59 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2016, 05:07 PM

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Sorry if this has been already posted. John Cleese on PC
When Cleese and Stephen Fry both have told you you're completely wrong, you seriously done goofed.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I experienced an act of sexism today. Today I was in the parking lot when an old lady approached me and pointed to her car and said "car no work". She had approached several other guys before she got to me. It turns out I was able to get her car going but that's not the point. Why did she approach me? Is it like, because like, all men must know about cars or something? Of course it is, what else could it be. I feel kinda little right now, powerless & ashamed; not anything too major... but I think just due to being victim of the stereotype. What should I do? Is there a way I can sue? Should I call the TV and see if I can get my story heard? I don't know what race she was but she didn't speak English very well, is there maybe a way I can sue for racism and get some money or attention out of this?

Some people might have looked at her and seen a cute sweet innocent little old lady. But WHEN I look at her I just see old people racism. I just can't wait till open minded millennials replace old raxists.
Not really related but it's a good story. About a month ago we saw a tiny (like <5') little old grandma standing beside her car crying (it was a Kroger parking lot), she had to have been over 80. Anyway, we were in the shop truck and I asked if she needed help. She sobbed something about the car not starting, she had no money, and didn't know who to call. So we got out and looked and, sure enough, she had no gas. So my mechanic got the can out of the back, put some gas in the tank, and after a few tries the car started right up.

Well, at first she was elated, then her face changed right as we're leaving and she said, "I'm too far from home, how can I get back with only a little gas?" I looked at her license plate. "You're from the next county over, don't worry a few gallons is plenty." Then she changed her tack. "But I have an appointment tomorrow with the doctor, I need to go to that." Then I gave her the number for Ethra services, a great system that helps the elderly and disabled to do things like that. "Okay... thanks then... I guess I'll see if I can scrounge up enough change to buy a McDonald's hamburger..." At that I reached into my pocket and pulled out a $5 McDonald's card, I carry those around for these situations. "You have answers for everything, don't you?" In a rather salty way. "I try to be helpful", then I gave her my best smile and left.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2016, 03:02 PM

Oregon State University Will Force Incoming Students to Take Social Justice Training - Hit & Run : Reason.com

F*ck that. Want to go to Oregon St? You can't until you've been indoctrinated into the Collective.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2016, 03:11 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2016, 04:44 PM

The thing is, her criticisms of STEM education seem more or less valid, but what she's criticizing isn't good for either gender.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2016, 09:43 PM

Absolutely it is, it encourages critical thinking and fosters an environment where only the best succeed, male or female. Not everyone goes to grad school, there's not enough room (not even close), and only those who can achieve should be allowed to continue. What would be better? A lottery?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 06:33 AM

I'm talking about encouraging in-class competition, like, say, grading on a curve.

This fosters critical thinking only in the narrow realm of maximizing your grade of all other concerns. I debate the value of this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Discussion on related topics, including the UK biochemist who said women in the lab cry when you are critical of the them.

45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm talking about encouraging in-class competition, like, say, grading on a curve.

This fosters critical thinking only in the narrow realm of maximizing your grade of all other concerns. I debate the value of this.
In-class "competition" is necessary, as I mentioned above, there are simply not enough resources for everyone to go to graduate school and those with the best grades go on to potentially receive advanced degrees. Otherwise, what should be proposed, a lottery system that randomly selects students? No matter how difficult such practices are in a university setting, they're nothing compared to the rigor of working in the highly-competitive private sector. I don't understand. Why wouldn't someone want to "Maximize their grade"? Isn't becoming more capable and knowledgeable the main reason for getting an advanced degree?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 12:54 PM

Female Student Said, &#039;I&#039;m Fine and I Wasn&#039;t Raped.&#039; University Investigated, Expelled Boyfriend Anyway. - Hit & Run : Reason.com

The absurdity involved here is off the charts.

"I didn't rape her."
"He didn't rape me."
Guy is found guilty, without due process, and gets kicked out of school anyway.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 01:09 PM

In-class "competition" is necessary, as I mentioned above, there are simply not enough resources for everyone to go to graduate school and those with the best grades go on to potentially receive advanced degrees. Otherwise, what should be proposed, a lottery system that randomly selects students? No matter how difficult such practices are in a university setting, they're nothing compared to the rigor of working in the highly-competitive private sector. I don't understand. Why wouldn't someone want to "Maximize their grade"? Isn't becoming more capable and knowledgeable the main reason for getting an advanced degree?
Maximal grades ≠ Maximal knowledge.

If it can be shown maximizing grades is the best system for dissemination of knowledge, then that should be the system... I don't buy that it is. Education has ****ed everything else up, and is consistently clueless about how people learn. Why is this any different?

If the problem is not enough seats, then raise minimum GPA requirements... but that grade should be should be based on an absolute metric, not a relative one.

If competitiveness needs to be taught, teach that as its own thing. It's going to have its own unique pedagogy. Smashing them together makes both disciplines weaker.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 04:26 PM

What other metric to do you suggest that determines what a student knows? If I score an 80% on a test that means I knew 80% of the information that was required on that test. While I can understand that liberal arts courses often don't work that way, because what is learned is often much less objectively fact-based, the sciences are different matter altogether.

If you test out at 90% in a necessary area of study and the girl next to you tests at 100%, she is more capable in that area of study than you, and if there's only 1 opening for a lab internship and it's between you and her, she should get it. It's the truest form of non-discrimination, completely remove sex and race from the equation and go strictly by merit based on the candidates available. Again, in the private sector they aren't going to be fair, they want profits and to show a tangible benefit to having you on-board. If someone else can do that better, more often than not they'll get your job.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 04:30 PM

Oxford University's law students too ‘fragile’ to hear about violent crime | Daily Mail Online

"Honey-boo-boo, we're going to talk about people being touched in their naughty places today, so if you need to run to your Safe Space and hug Elmo, that's okay. We won't hold it against you."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 06:16 PM

Oxford University's law students too ‘fragile’ to hear about violent crime | Daily Mail Online

"Honey-boo-boo, we're going to talk about people being touched in their naughty places today, so if you need to run to your Safe Space and hug Elmo, that's okay. We won't hold it against you."
Elmo is no longer available for hugs since he was booted from safe places for touching naughty bits.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 07:00 PM

What other metric to do you suggest that determines what a student knows? If I score an 80% on a test that means I knew 80% of the information that was required on that test. While I can understand that liberal arts courses often don't work that way, because what is learned is often much less objectively fact-based, the sciences are different matter altogether.

If you test out at 90% in a necessary area of study and the girl next to you tests at 100%, she is more capable in that area of study than you, and if there's only 1 opening for a lab internship and it's between you and her, she should get it. It's the truest form of non-discrimination, completely remove sex and race from the equation and go strictly by merit based on the candidates available. Again, in the private sector they aren't going to be fair, they want profits and to show a tangible benefit to having you on-board. If someone else can do that better, more often than not they'll get your job.
I'm almost positive we're talking about different things.

What you're talking about is someone scoring a 90 (or 100) and it being recorded as a 90 (or 100). I'm totally fine with that.

What I am (and the paper is) arguing against is the system where if 90 is the lowest score in the class, it goes down as an F.
( Last edited by subego; May 9, 2016 at 07:13 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 09:47 PM

Gazi (aka. Black Hitler) will now tell you that white people are filth and owe reparations for slavery. Black supremacists... You can't make shit like this up, it's too absurd.

"If you don't give it, we're gonna take it!"

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 09:49 PM

What I am (and the paper is) arguing against is the system where if 90 is the lowest score in the class, it goes down as an F.
What does it matter what the grade is, at that point? If they're in the bottom 50-60%, they aren't going to grad school anyway.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2016, 10:48 PM

Racist SUNY students FINALLY get expelled and face formal charges for filing false reports and assault. All the while they still claim they're the victims in this and BLM/SJWs continue to rally to their defense... despite video evidence that proves they're liars. "Don't believe your eyes, believe what we tell you!"

Students who reported racially motivated attack expelled following indictment on false report charges – twitchy.com
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; May 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 10:46 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2016, 12:42 PM

What does it matter what the grade is, at that point? If they're in the bottom 50-60%, they aren't going to grad school anyway.
If it doesn't matter, if both serve equally well for the purposes of comparatively ranking students, then why are you arguing?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 01:10 PM

While regressives on the left (some on this forum) do a discredit to the term "liberal", Dave Rubin, a self-confessed liberal and democrat, has won my respect. This is why...

Cheers

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 02:33 PM

If it doesn't matter, if both serve equally well for the purposes of comparatively ranking students, then why are you arguing?
Why were you?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2016, 08:02 PM

The pedagogy of competitiveness is different than that of, say, fluid dynamics.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2016, 02:27 PM

Here's your first look at Idris Elba as the Gunslinger in The Dark Tower | ShortList Magazine

I'd heard rumors about this a while back but I guess it's official now. This makes no sense to me, at all. Idris Elba is a very good actor, but he's not Roland Deschain. Roland is white (he's literally the incarnation of the Man With No Name) and by changing him to black large chunks of the story, including his conflict with `Detta, Odetta Walker's alter ego, make no ****ing sense (because she's a very anti-white, racist character). This is patently absurd.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2016, 11:34 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2016, 12:09 PM

I'm fine with, and actually approve of warnings. No one likes being blindsided.

That the material is optional is another matter entirely.

However...

"[O]ne student said, according to an article in the Daily Mail"

I've taken dumps which are a better source than this. The author isn't even trying.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2016, 05:50 PM

45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2016, 03:51 PM

White-splaining to Native Americans: https://theundefeated.com/features/t...at-isnt-moral/

So they "aren't moral" for not caring about the name Redskins? Just proves that the Regressive Left cares more about perception than reality, and won't hesitate for a second to shame the very people they claim to be defending.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2016, 06:51 PM

White-splaining to Native Americans: https://theundefeated.com/features/t...at-isnt-moral/

So they "aren't moral" for not caring about the name Redskins? Just proves that the Regressive Left cares more about perception than reality, and won't hesitate for a second to shame the very people they claim to be defending.
What ever happened to all the stink over the use of "squaw?" Then AZ Gov Napalitano changed Squaw Peak to Piestewa Peak after an AstroTurf group raised a stink. Squawk Valley CA is stil Squaw Valley, though.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2016, 04:40 PM

WTF Canada?
Canada's Top Court Ruled That Oral Sex with Animals Is Legal
https://www.vice.com/read/canadas-ri...estiality-laws
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2016, 03:02 AM

W...T...F...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2016, 08:33 AM

Again, why are you guys surprised that people do and think weird stuff?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2016, 01:09 PM

Some day you'll learn the huge difference between thinking and doing, but I doubt it'll be today.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2016, 06:55 PM

I said "do and think".

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2016, 10:45 PM

Except that there's no "do" and what a person thinks is completely their own business.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2016, 08:56 PM

I don't remember if the was a thread on this study. The authors have issued a great big OOOOPS!
Study authors retract: It turns out conservatives are not psychotic (liberals are)
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/st...hotic-liberals

Erratum to “Correlation not Causation: The Relationship between Personality Traits and Political Ideologies” American Journal of Political Science 56 (1), 34–51
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store...b4qqe&708212fe
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2016, 12:27 PM

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2016, 10:37 PM

So the Black Lives Matter coordinator who sent out fake death threats to other black students at Kean Univ. was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 5 years probation, and will have to pay $82,000 to the school and county. I'm fairly happy with the sentence (she should have received at least a year in the slammer), she stirred the pot trying to create racism that didn't exist, and now she's going to pay. I'm hoping they'll bust even more BLM activists for these tactics, publically revealing once and for all what the movement is at its core, a hate group.

Kean University student Kayla McKelvey sentenced for sending threatening tweets | News 12 New Jersey

ELIZABETH - A Kean University student who made racially charged threats was given the maximum sentence allowed under her plea agreement Friday.

The judge gave Kayla McKelvey 90 days in county jail and five years probation. She will also have to pay $82,000 back to her school, the county sheriff’s office and the prosecutor's office.

Judge Robert Mega called McKelvey's threats a selfish plan of hate that created terror and mayhem and put her classmates, school and police officers at risk.

McKelvey admitted to making a fake Twitter account during a rally she organized to address racial issues of campus in November.

From that account, she sent out a series of repeated threats to black students, saying they would be killed.

McKelvey spoke in court, apologizing for her actions and saying that her intent was to expose racism on campus, claiming there were students shouting "white power" during the rally and referring to black students as monkeys.

Judge Mega said he felt McKelvey was not showing complete remorse and was actually critical of the plea agreement.

McKelvey's defense attorney says his client has already suffered extensively and is having trouble finding a job and has lost all credibility.
Remorse? Oh course she didn't show remorse. The ends always justify the means with such radicals, and as soon as she gets out she'll be right back at it again, only this time trying to play the victim card. Claiming the whole thing was the White man trying trying to keep her down, or some shit.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Jul 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2016, 03:19 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 02:07 PM

So the Black Lives Matter coordinator who sent out fake death threats to other black students at Kean Univ. was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 5 years probation, and will have to pay $82,000 to the school and county. I'm fairly happy with the sentence (she should have received at least a year in the slammer), she stirred the pot trying to create racism that didn't exist, and now she's going to pay. I'm hoping they'll bust even more BLM activists for these tactics, publically revealing once and for all what the movement is at its core, a hate group.

Kean University student Kayla McKelvey sentenced for sending threatening tweets | News 12 New Jersey
This woman is an idiot. Without question. But what's also a fact is that the words "Black Lives Matter" is mentioned nowhere in the article. She's actually the former president of the Pan-African Student Union. But naturally you would attempt to smear the BLM organization with the actions of this individual.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 02:19 PM

No need to "smear" BLM, as a bona fide hate group, they do that well-enough on their own. WTF is wrong with the people in your clique? Are they so starved for attention they can't even let other groups mourn and have their own events without being harassed and bullied by BLM activists?

As for Kayla McKelvey:

Black Lives Matter Leader BUSTED For Doing THIS, Now She&#039;s Paying A HUGE Price
#BlackLivesMatter Student Behind Racism Hoax Gets Jail Time – twitchy.com
Fake hate crime: #BlackLivesMatter student admits to faking racist threats - Red Alert Politics

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 03:10 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 03:38 PM

No need to "smear" BLM, as a bona fide hate group, they do that well-enough on their own. WTF is wrong with the people in your clique? Are they so starved for attention they can't even let other groups mourn and have their own events without being harassed and bullied by BLM activists?

As for Kayla McKelvey:

Black Lives Matter Leader BUSTED For Doing THIS, Now She&#039;s Paying A HUGE Price
#BlackLivesMatter Student Behind Racism Hoax Gets Jail Time – twitchy.com
Fake hate crime: #BlackLivesMatter student admits to faking racist threats - Red Alert Politics
You can cite all the random right-wing blogs you want. They are just spewing their ignorant opinions just like you. But when you get done talking there still is no reputable news source saying this individual was a part of the Black Lives Matter organization. Every "black activist" isn't a member of "Black Lives Matter". Just like all black people don't look alike.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You can cite all the random right-wing blogs you want. *blah blah blah*
You mean I can't find a connection between a domestic terrorist and BLM in sources that kiss their ass and/or fear violent reprisals? Say it ain't so?! If I have to wade through the garbage you cite from Mojones, Huffpo, Salon, and Vox, it's only fair that you man-up and read an article from a site that's not in the Regressive Left's pocket.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2016, 07:20 PM

"Domestic terrorist"? Every time I try to think that you aren't a complete f*cking idiot you manage to say dumb sh*t like this. Congratulations.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2016, 01:22 AM

That's unfortunate, for you.

She had the whole campus on lockdown, had mobilized every officer in the city and county, and placed all the students and faculty members in danger due to the heightened tensions. What else do you call a person literally spreading terror in their home country? She should have received much more than 90 days in the county lockup. Her excuse? She wanted to draw attention to the racism at the school... Well, she certainly did, it was her own.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2016, 09:05 AM

Speaking of Black Live Matter. The Canadian branch shut down the Toronto Pride parade. They stopped their float and would not move until their demand letter was signed.
Black Lives Matter protests at historic Toronto Pride Parade hosting Justin Trudeau | National Post
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2016, 07:22 PM

Brilliant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules