Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 3)
jaybert
May 31, 2006, 12:38 PM

Just ordered one of the rasfox sleeves from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Apple-13-Mac...QQcmdZViewItem

their website is www.rasfox.com, but apparently its only for resellers (I emailed them), so the only option is through ebay. They said it was a custom fit for the 13.3" macbook when I emailed. I will post a quick review when it comes in.

I also picked up shaggymac screen protector for $16.xx.

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 12:39 PM

Jeffkiel, which one did you get?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2006, 02:48 PM

I'm currently using this CAD$10 MEC Computer Tote. Very plain, but it is nicely padded, it has an extra pocket for cables/AC adapter, and it has loops for an optional shoulder strap. It's really meant for a 15" laptop though.

sbsmac
May 31, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jaybert
Just ordered one of the rasfox sleeves from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Apple-13-Mac...QQcmdZViewItem

their website is www.rasfox.com, but apparently its only for resellers (I emailed them), so the only option is through ebay. They said it was a custom fit for the 13.3" macbook when I emailed. I will post a quick review when it comes in.
That's a great find, especially at that price for a polyurethane cover. Do tell us how it is, I'm very tempted to get one myself.

Turn204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:58 AM

Yeah, let us know how that RasFox sleeve is. Does it fit the macbook snuggly and tightly around it? I don't want something bulky, as it's just going in my backpack sleeve.

jaybert
Jun 2, 2006, 10:16 AM

i'll let you all know once it shows up. My total ended up coming to $26.xx for the blue one (the black is more expensive...dont know why).

From the looks of the picture and the description, I would expect the size/bulkiness to be very similar to the STM rebound cases. Hopefully it is a snug fit, which is why I emailed and asked whether it was a generic case, or fitted especially for the macbook.

I will post in this thread when it arrives along with some pictures + impressions.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 04:09 PM

There were just announced. I like the army one.

The only thing I don't like it that the open end doesn't close fully.

http://www.fabrixcases.com/collection/laptop/main.html

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Bad to the bone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:05 PM

I really dig the viper sleeve from Booq but that puppy isn't comming out until August. I was looking at their other Booq products that support the Macbook and noticed the Mamba S. I really like how it looks but it's a bit pricey. I just wanted people's opinions on the Mamba S either from having used the Mamba S already, from the pictures on the site, or just from using Booq products in general. I wondering if it's worth to get this bag or just get one of the sleeves mentioned on this thread that is already out unlike the viper.

Here is the link to the Mamba S: http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=441

Bad to the bone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
There were just announced. I like the army one.

The only thing I don't like it that the open end doesn't close fully.

http://www.fabrixcases.com/collection/laptop/main.html
How's the inner material? Wonder if it would scratch the macbook up due to the polyster? Nonetheless I like the camo one too...looks good!

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

I must've missed some, but are any of these custom fits bags for the macbook shipping yet? Not sleeves or wraps, but bags.

dream28m
Jun 4, 2006, 02:14 PM

Has anybody tried a MacBook in the Booq Vyper XM sleeve? I need a sleeve before the XS2 ships in August and am considering the slightly larger sleeve, thanks.

jaybert
Jun 4, 2006, 04:35 PM

i got the rasfox in fyi...but no macbook. i'll post up pictures tomorrow.

first impressions of the case are they the build quality is kind of poor. The stitching is very messy, and what looked like a piece of staple in the seams. On the bright side, this is all on the inside, so from the outside the case looks fine. I am a little concerned about the sleeve actually fitting snuggly however, it seems big, but I may have just underestimated the size of the macbook. Having had STM rebound for the 12" powerbook, I would say while the materials are very similar (both memory foam), the rebound's build quality was much higher and I would rather have that if the price ends up being not that much more expensive.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 09:54 PM

I'm debating between Tom Bihn's brain cell or waterfield's sleave. I've owned products from both, and I use on a daily basis Tom Bihn's brain bag. That being the case I'm probably leaning towards the brain cell to be used inside the brain bag.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 03:53 AM

i'm concerned by the posts re bitolithic... i need some protection. maybe it's waterfield + flap for me after all...

re. Vyper Mamba S... scope the inner dimensions on Vyper's site... it's not exactly a Macbook bag, it's a preexisting Vyper bag that's been rebranded as a Macbook bag.

re. bags rather than sleeves: i haven't actually found any bags listed as for the Macbook. that, and the fact that my personal interest lies in sleeves, probably explains why there are few full-size bags listed in the OP.

i'll add the new suggestions in a couple of days...

i can't believe how many people have read this thread. anyone want to sticky it???

love,
y.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 12:34 PM

Don't forget Oakley! Their bags aren't custom fitted, but they ALWAYS look awesome:

http://www.oakley.com

Yay!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 12:38 PM

I'm looking for a bag that will hold both a Macbook and external firewire drive. Is there anything like that available?

ravinderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 04:18 PM

Has anyone ever used the Invisble shield stuff from www.Shieldzone.com??

While is not a bag, it is a layer of protection that is advertsed to stop scratching and hence a useful base layer before droping into another bag. I'm not a fan of laptop bags, sleeves yes, but I'm looking for something to keep my (future) MacBook a fresh as possible.

I found it while looking for ipod / Nintendo DS lite protection and noticed they do full shielding for the MBP, but not yet the MB. I've emailed them to ask if they are planning a MB version but it would require an initial custom build as a template (i.e ship them the MB for a week) - not possible from my side of the Atlantic.
( Last edited by kinesin; Jun 5, 2006 at 05:26 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by kinesin
Has anyone ever used the Invisble shield stuff from www.Shieldzone.com??
Ya the nano protectors are incredible and I ordered a screen protector for my camera as well.

The customer service is also great, free lifetime replacements.

jaybert
Jun 5, 2006, 04:56 PM

i'm returning the rasfox case. they guy on ebay is really understanding.

I just dont think the fit is what I expected. It fits, but is not very snug, which is what I was looking for. I think I am going to wait on the cases that apple sells, I really like the lime green one they have for the powerbook, etc
( Last edited by jaybert; Jun 5, 2006 at 09:18 PM. )

Turn204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 02:00 AM

Thats dissapointing to hear. I just ordered one the other day. He also assured me that it fit very snug. Hmm.

jaybert
Jun 6, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheBMill
Thats dissapointing to hear. I just ordered one the other day. He also assured me that it fit very snug. Hmm.
maybe yours will be better...i got the blue, if you got the black us know if it is any better (or if I got a dud).

On the bright side, he does give refunds including the shipping price, you just need to pay to send it back if it is no good.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:38 AM

That's great service Jaybert. Rare these days.

I need a bag for my Macbook! I want one soon, like yesterday. I almost don't care what it looks like, I just want it to fit well. Is there anything out there right now? Everything at BestBuy looked too big, or sloppy. It was mostly Targus.

Bad to the bone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
i'm concerned by the posts re bitolithic... i need some protection. maybe it's waterfield + flap for me after all...

re. Vyper Mamba S... scope the inner dimensions on Vyper's site... it's not exactly a Macbook bag, it's a preexisting Vyper bag that's been rebranded as a Macbook bag.

re. bags rather than sleeves: i haven't actually found any bags listed as for the Macbook. that, and the fact that my personal interest lies in sleeves, probably explains why there are few full-size bags listed in the OP.

i'll add the new suggestions in a couple of days...

i can't believe how many people have read this thread. anyone want to sticky it???

love,
y.
Thanks Yakov for the advise. I got a response back from Booq and supposely the Mamba S fits the MacBook more perfectly than the powerbook which it was originally made for. So, I am unsure whether to still purchase this. Anybody out there with the Mamba S for the MacBook yet?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2006, 05:54 PM

Radtech now has their MacBook sleeve available for preorder, shipping on 6/22. Again, I really like mine and it's perfect for someone who may already have a bag with some padding but still wants something to protect the finish of the computer from scratches, etc.

Turn204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 06:53 PM

Hey Jayterb,

I got the black one. I'll post pictures when I get it. Did you have pictures or did you already send it back?

donaxcommltd
Baninated
Jun 6, 2006, 07:00 PM

I bought a Mamba S from Booq. It's not a snug fit, but it is still well protected and there are plenty of compartments for software, cables, external drive, etc. It's pretty comfortable to carry on the shoulder too.

Bad to the bone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bluebomberx
I bought a Mamba S from Booq. It's not a snug fit, but it is still well protected and there are plenty of compartments for software, cables, external drive, etc. It's pretty comfortable to carry on the shoulder too.
You think the Mamba S was worth the money? or would you have gone with something else...something more snug? Thanks in advance.

jaybert
Jun 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheBMill
Hey Jayterb,

I got the black one. I'll post pictures when I get it. Did you have pictures or did you already send it back?
i got some pictures, but they didnt turn out very well.

i'll post them in a bit if you all want to see them. I tried to get some to show the space between the laptop + case, but it didnt come out very well

HERE:
with laptop in the very middle (show how much space is leftover all around the laptop

with laptop pushed all the way to the right (to get an idea of how much space total is there)

poor stitching:

when the laptop is closed, and you pick up the sleeve and the laptop can slide around the inside. sorry i did not get any pictures of the actual case color, but the blue is very different from the ebay pictures. check rasfox.com for their other blue cases. the color is much closer to that than the lighter blue shown in the pictures. hopefully your cases fit better...the shape of my case also does not match the pictures on ebay. Mine seems alot wider than the pictures, so maybe if I got an early prototype, yours will all fit. i think if the case was actually the shape of those shown on ebay, it will be a good fit.
( Last edited by jaybert; Jun 6, 2006 at 10:21 PM. )

crispin14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 01:02 AM

I picked up a Case Logic Sleeve from Fry's the other day. Its made for 13' laptops and fits my BlacBook like a glove. Absolutely no sliding around. Theo only thing is that its not very protective at all. I'm mainly using it to keep it from getting scratched while in my bag.

$24.99 plus tax

I can take pics if anyone is interested on the fit.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 01:33 AM

i saw the sfbags waterfield for the 13" macbook. it is a really nice fit, but it figures to be extremely expensive. why do companies have to keep ripping off apple customers? i mean, you can buy a whole set of luggage for price of the waterfield sfbags.

crispin14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 03:01 AM

quality over quantity i guess

i really wanted to waterfield bag, but the price negates any benefits

jaybert
Jun 7, 2006, 11:34 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-13-MacBook...QQcmdZViewItem

what about these?

i've emailed to ask about fit. dont want to have the same issues as I've had with the rasfox one

JeffKiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:41 AM

Heavy, I got the 13" MacBook Sleeve with all the trimmings (flap, nice strap, and piggy bag). Don't think of it as one of the standard sleeves (no handles, no strap), but as a hybrid sleeve/bag. After having used it for a week or so, including some traveling, I am still VERY satisfied. The MacBook fits snugly and seems very well protected. The only thing I wish it had is a handle on the top. When it is sitting in the seat next to me, it would be nice to grab a handle to pick it up but you have to grab by the side or grab the strap and it isn't as easy. The piggy bag is suprisingly nice and very useful. I carry my power supply, iPod, headphones, etc. and it is great!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaybert
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-13-MacBook...QQcmdZViewItem

what about these?

i've emailed to ask about fit. dont want to have the same issues as I've had with the rasfox one
I saw those on ebay UK, emailed the guy:

Originally Posted by My email
Hi there,

I have just got a new MacBook 13", and am looking for a sleeve case
for it.

Is the sleeve you are selling specifically sized for the MacBook - ie
its not a 14" iBook sleeve but will also fit the 13" MB.

Also, what brand is the sleeve?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Reply

This is sepaical size for 13 inch.
No Brand.

Elvis
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jaybert
Jun 7, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I saw those on ebay UK, emailed the guy:
i'm gonna let one of you all to be the first to purchase this one...i did the rasfox and that didnt turn out so well.

please update if anyone orders this case and let us know!

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Ya the nano protectors are incredible and I ordered a screen protector for my camera as well.

The customer service is also great, free lifetime replacements.
I agree, well worth the investment on an iPod or any small piece of electronics. I have also contact ShieldZone and they said the same thing, they'd need an initial template. I am toying with the idea of doing it...the invisibleSHIELD does change the surface somewhat, it'd be kind of a low-gloss on the black MacBook, I'd imagine. If I had a white MacBook, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Also, I got my Foofbag in. It actually loads from the skinny side, not the wide side like I had originally thought. No biggie. The inside is this nice soft black diamond-box material. Overall I like it a lot. When I have a moment, I'll snap some pics.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

Personally I would get this sleeve... if I wasn't allergic to wool.

I am sure they will have a MacBook version soon.

http://www.redmaloo.com/index_f.php

Turn204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 07:01 PM

Guys. Don't be so skeptical. I mean, "This is sepaical size for 13 inch." That totally makes me feel okay with buying from him!

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 01:15 AM

What do you guys think of this? I like the looks of it. http://www.caselogic.com/13_lightwei...modelid=65873#

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by JeffKiel
Heavy, I got the 13" MacBook Sleeve with all the trimmings (flap, nice strap, and piggy bag). Don't think of it as one of the standard sleeves (no handles, no strap), but as a hybrid sleeve/bag. After having used it for a week or so, including some traveling, I am still VERY satisfied. The MacBook fits snugly and seems very well protected. The only thing I wish it had is a handle on the top. When it is sitting in the seat next to me, it would be nice to grab a handle to pick it up but you have to grab by the side or grab the strap and it isn't as easy. The piggy bag is suprisingly nice and very useful. I carry my power supply, iPod, headphones, etc. and it is great!

I'm still confused on which company Jeff. Are you talking about the Waterfield? Sounds like what I'm looking for. I need more than just a sleeve.

mactest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 12:49 PM

Can any owners of the STM Alley Small or STM Loft Small verify that the MacBook fits within these bags? I know the STM website says they are Macbook 13" compatible, however I compared their dimensions given on the STM site with the dimensions given on the Apple website and it looks like the bags are just a hair too small.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 01:58 PM

Jeff is talking about the Waterfield, which allows the add-ons that he mentions.

ravinderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by kaidomac
I agree, well worth the investment on an iPod or any small piece of electronics. I have also contact ShieldZone and they said the same thing, they'd need an initial template. I am toying with the idea of doing it...the invisibleSHIELD does change the surface somewhat, it'd be kind of a low-gloss on the black MacBook, I'd imagine. If I had a white MacBook, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
Dam you!! I'm so waiting for someone state side to ship them an MacBook as I've just ordered my white MacBook. I think you're right that the BlackBook would end up having a semi-gloss appearance rather than the original matt finish - Another reason to go with white
( Last edited by kinesin; Jun 8, 2006 at 04:47 PM. )

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 06:05 PM

I bought one of the Waterfield sleeves. I had seen them before when I used to work at one of the Apple retail stores... I got the horizontal orientation sleeve with nothing else. Really nice case. It also makes a good lap pad for the laptop itself!

masugu
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
I bought one of the Waterfield sleeves. I had seen them before when I used to work at one of the Apple retail stores... I got the horizontal orientation sleeve with nothing else. Really nice case. It also makes a good lap pad for the laptop itself!
Yup. They are lined with Asbestos so good for MacBooks!

Seriously. I have a Waterfield for my Ti PB. It is quite nice.

Was considering one for my BlacBook, but it would be overkill with my Timbuk 2 bag.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Turkish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 01:09 PM

great thread, guys. now that I know marware's developing a sleeve, I'll probably wait for that one, but I was originally considering a sleeve from timbuk2 to go with my messenger bag:

anybody have one of these?

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypox
great thread, guys. now that I know marware's developing a sleeve, I'll probably wait for that one, but I was originally considering a sleeve from timbuk2 to go with my messenger bag:

anybody have one of these?
Now that we have had some getting acquainted time with our MacBooks, my daughter and I stand behind our original post, if you use a sleeve within another case (most sleeves alone have no handle of any sort unless they were custom configured or offered that way initially) for light traveling around. The Sony Vaio sleeve (which came with a 2nd zippered sleeve for power adapter) that we got from Frys for $19 remains a clear quality value and allows even having 2 sleeves for the cost of one of most other sleeves.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Here's some of the post with photos linked:

My daughter and I went to CompUSA and Frys nearby, to shop for sleeves and cases for our two black MacBooks. My daughter settled for a beige Case Logic sleeve (http://www.caselogic.com/13_student_...?modelid=70111 ) with a 25 year guarantee.
We already have a Targus case but bought a slimmer Sumdex case at Frys (http://www.sumdex.com/core/NBN-131.asp. We also bought a Sony Vaio (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ar2==)neoprene sleeve ( previously mentioned ) for under $20 at Frys which included a power supply neoprene bag and is double zippered.

All in all, very handsome stuff, inexpensive and protective.
Hopes this helps someone, especially on price.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Our hardly used 17" PowerBook is headed to EBay in a Waterfield sleeve.

The Waterfield sleeve on our 17" Powerbook is as fresh as day one.
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jun 10, 2006 at 02:08 PM. )

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 02:18 PM

housesold, can you describe the fit of the macbook inside the sumdex case? your model is the sumdex neo-transit I. I have the sumdex neo-transit II for my 15" widescreen laptop and i LOVE the bag. economical, comfortable shoulder strap, 2 separate pockets inside for small stuff, etc

i bought my sumdex from ebags, but i haven't been able to find the neo-transit I (in black)

also, if you could take pics of the macbook inside the sumdex, that would be great!
( Last edited by uicandrew; Jun 10, 2006 at 05:22 PM. )
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ravinderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 06:13 PM

For those people in the UK mp3essentials are selling a 'Be-ez la Robe' sleeve for £21.09

Link: http://www.mp3essentials.co.uk/mp3st...hp?cPath=22_88

Imo the waterfield sleaves look nicer and haven't got a zip to possibly cause damage.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 07:01 PM

I saw this one at the Applestore and they were very impressive:

http://www.stmbags.com.au/shoulderbags

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules