Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 4)
HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
housesold, can you describe the fit of the macbook inside the sumdex case? your model is the sumdex neo-transit I. I have the sumdex neo-transit II for my 15" widescreen laptop and i LOVE the bag. economical, comfortable shoulder strap, 2 separate pockets inside for small stuff, etc

i bought my sumdex from ebags, but i haven't been able to find the neo-transit I (in black)

also, if you could take pics of the macbook inside the sumdex, that would be great!
The Sony Vaio sleeve fits exactly; just remember when manuvering the corners with either of the 2 zippers (I love dual zips ) just pull away with the zipper tab as you round the corners to avoid scruffing. I looked and felt the inner lining and there's nothing to scratch the book. There's an inner lip all the way around beneath what appears to be a nylon, non-metallic zipper. The zipper tabs are larger too, with a plastic-like enamel coating.
The fit in the Vaio sleeve inside the Sumdex carry case is near perfect, as though they went together from the start. The Sumdex has an outside pocket perfect for the power adapter. (I usually purchase a 2nd power adapter for my work laptops.... errr notebooks and leave it at work)
The Case Logic sleeve is also excellent, with 2 outside zippered pockets. It has only 1 case zipper for the MacBook compartment, however.

On the Sumdex page, I think there's only 2 colors available for Transit I cases.

The only photo I have is the linked prior ones; sorry.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 11, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Neoprene (1.5 mm thick)

The sleeved laptop goes inside another bag (along with the adapter). I don't like putting my bare laptop in my briefcase or whatever.

The sleeve I ordered actually comes with a small bag (made from the same material) for the AC adapter and stuff, but I'm not 100% sure I'll use it for that.
I got the Bitolithic. The sleeve is as advertised... thin but I was expecting that. The small pouch is big enough for the adapter plus a bunch of other stuff.

However, that orange screen protector is too thick. The MacBook doesn't close fully when that orange fabric is there.

tortilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 01:40 AM

can you post some pictures of the biolithic cases?

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 02:30 AM

I have read how similar the dimensions between the Sony Vaio S and the MB are. So what about this? It looks like a killer sleeve. Anyone check these out?

http://www.semsons.com/haslvsbydesv.html

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 08:58 PM

I just put in an order for a Pinder Thin in silver. They're on sale right now, plus free express shipping. I'll have to wait and see how the fitment is.
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 10:02 PM

Just bought this today

The width of the inside is exactly the same as the MacBook and the height is about 1 inch taller. Anti-shock foam pad on all six sides. Plus extra slots for the mouse and power brick.

$35 CAD for a carrying bag that's MADE IN JAPAN it's a steal!
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 12:33 AM

What make is that Leonis? Is there a site?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Leonis
Just bought this today

$35 CAD for a carrying bag that's MADE IN JAPAN it's a steal!
It is rather PC bland.

Even worse it looks like a typical laptop case so it makes you more of a target.

All my previous laptop bags nobody had any idea I had a laptop in it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 10:01 AM

The brand is called Elecom. I bought it from a local store and I don't know if they have a site or not. The photo shown here is what they emailed me.

I know it's rather PC bland but I need the fit case immediately. But it's so cheap, in the future if I really need another no so PC bland one I can get one without a thought.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2006, 01:39 PM

Added lots and lots of stuff to the original post including Vaio bags.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks Yakov. You kick ass!

I wish Targus had one that fit the MB. Someone said they found one that fit perfectly, but I couldn't find one. I need lots of compartments for my stuff. I like Case Logic and Targus classic bags. Many of these bags look like they're made for junior high girls or someone who's going camping.

I'll get a sleeve or something and stick it in a bigger case. I wish these case guys made some adjustable rubber pads or layers so that you can custom fit different machines. Between that and velcro, it'd make the fit a lot easier.

So what's the absolute cheapest, well fitting sleeve for the MB?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2006, 06:04 PM

whatever it is, it probably isn't marketed to apple customers.
that Vaio sleeve looks great...especially if you can find it retail for less than $20!!

the 13" size seems to be new on the block so it'll be a while before the big bag companies catch up with cheaper stuff. for now, we're stuck with high-priced boutique manufacturers, it seems..
( Last edited by Yakov; Jun 12, 2006 at 09:05 PM. )

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 06:55 PM

I just recieved my stm small alley bag, it is awesome! the fit is exact and it looks even better then it does online. all kinds of little pockets and pouches, but it's not bulky at all....just the perfect size. I would definitely recommend this, it just feels and looks good.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 09:04 PM

Really? Some are reporting that the fit on the STM is not good, and others say it is! I like the look of that bag. I wish it was horizontal instead of vertical, but still nice.

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 10:07 PM

yeah man, it fits perfect...doesn't move around at all, so quite snug actually. and the vertical is sweet, easier to walk with if that makes any sense

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
Thanks Yakov. You kick ass!

I wish Targus had one that fit the MB. Someone said they found one that fit perfectly, but I couldn't find one. I need lots of compartments for my stuff. I like Case Logic and Targus classic bags. Many of these bags look like they're made for junior high girls or someone who's going camping.

I'll get a sleeve or something and stick it in a bigger case. I wish these case guys made some adjustable rubber pads or layers so that you can custom fit different machines. Between that and velcro, it'd make the fit a lot easier.

So what's the absolute cheapest, well fitting sleeve for the MB?
Repost below of the start of this thread; I stand by our choices.
I have a Targus CCa10 (still around) that is able to lock the zippers with a luggage slim padlock, a feature which I like.

"My daughter and I went to Frys to shop for sleeves and cases for our black MacBooks. My daughter settled for a beige Case Logic sleeve (http://www.caselogic.com/13_student_...?modelid=70111) with a 25 year guarantee.
We already have a Targus case but bought a Sumdex case at Frys ( http://www.sumdex.com/core/NBN-131.asp ). We also bought a Sony Vaio ( http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ar2==)neoprene sleeve ( previously mentioned ) for under $20 at Frys which included a power supply neoprene bag and is double zippered.?

All in all, very handsome stuff, inexpensive and protective.

Hopes this helps you, especially on price.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2006, 09:59 AM

ok, dude, you've posted that enough times now.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks houseSold. I did see your post earlier. I went to CompUSA and they did not have those case logic sleeves or Sonys. They had everything else, it figures.

I could not find any info on the Targus case you mentioned. Is CCa10 the correct model #?

I really like this one,http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Targus-TLE30...QQcmdZViewItem as it has a ton of compartments for my work stuff. It says "up to 15.4" so I wonder if there's an adjustable compartment so that the fit will be good, or if I need another sleeve as well.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 10:29 AM

http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/app...tor/index.html

Hope those haven't been posted. They are part rubber.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 13, 2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks houseSold. I did see your post earlier. I went to CompUSA and they did not have those case logic sleeves or Sonys. They had everything else, it figures.

I could not find any info on the Targus case you mentioned. Is CCa10 the correct model #?

I really like this one,http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Targus-TLE30...QQcmdZViewItem as it has a ton of compartments for my work stuff. It says "up to 15.4" so I wonder if there's an adjustable compartment so that the fit will be good, or if I need another sleeve as well.
It is apparently discontinued.

Got it CircuitCity last year on a One Day Sale promo for $10. Wish I had bought more, but only needed one. One of the best utilitarian cases I've seen (my needs) If I find anything about this model, I'll post it.

Currently, this may do, however.
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TVS200

also happened across this site
http://www.streetprices.com/Electron...ssories/Cases/
A lot of camera bags, but thoses vendors also carry notebook cases, if you dig a little.

I had one of these for a Titanium PowerBook that I used for presentations: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...81406?n=172282

If you buy the Sony sleeve mentioned in another post, you can have more than one case for your needs. For example, one case to the office (MacBook in a sleeve inside the case) and another back pack style if you go hiking. and if your needs change, change your case...

Like digital cameras... different cases for different occasions. travel, storage, day at the beach etc.

Ouch, no sand in my MacBook please.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2006, 11:40 AM

just found out that the sony is on amazon for $18+SSS, which is the best online price and I added that to the original post

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 12:26 PM

I ordered the STM small loft. Seems like a decent bag at a decent price. I'll update this thread when I get it.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 01:16 PM

The specs for the STM are different here compared to on page 1 and on another site.
These sound like it will be wide enough to fit the MB well.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Alley

Alcoholica
Jun 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

I've got the foofbag. Very well made, provides more than adequate protection. Not made in a sweatshop, either.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 14, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
Bitolithic
Laptop Protection Pack - Looks good. Package deal includes blue 1.5mm neoprene work-in sleeve w/ velvet interior, matching accessory bag, and keyboard cover, all for $35+$8 shipping ($42). Made in Australia.

Via email (very fast & friendly): "We prevent the sliders from coming into contact with the laptop by extending the sleeve material all the way to the zipper TEETH, it doesn't stop at the edge of the zipper."

The only issue with this is that sometimes the inner lining folds at the corners underneath the zipper, which could potentially mean that the zipper would come into contact with the case. If you're careful when zipping it up though, it's not a problem.

Cardiac Dave: "Not padded well enough to provide a high level of crash protection, but it will definitely protect against scratches and light bumps while it sits in your backpack."
JSW @ MacRumors: "I am very happy with this product for a number of reasons."
Ben Leung @ Whirlpool: "The Bitolithic sleeves are well made, with double stitched zippers around the front and sides of the laptop. ....Also had a little problem with my screen protector being too thick, Emiliano from Bitolithic had a new one in the post to me the next day."
I had the same screen protector issue. Bitolithic says they sent out the wrong protector to some people. The incorrect one sent out was for the iBook. They promised to send me another one, like they did for Ben.

can you post some pictures of the biolithic cases?
I'll try to snap some pix this week. However, basically the pic above is representative. The Bitolithic case is a perfect fit.

BTW, I agree with the above sentiment that the Bitolithic case isn't padded enough for some people. However, I consider it as a light sleeve meant to protect the MacBook when it's in another sack. eg. I don't like putting my MacBook bare into my briefcase or knapsack, but many other sleeves are a little too bulky. The Bitolithic provides just enough padding so that other objects in the bag won't damage it, yet it remains thin and light.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 14, 2006 at 02:37 PM. )

drewfus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2006, 04:11 PM

I ordered a sleevecase and VertiGo bag from Waterfield on Sunday. On Monday, Gary e-mailed me and told me it was going to be on its way that evening, and it arrived today! the sleeve fits the MacBook perfectly, and the bag fits the sleeve perfectly, with some room to spare for a book, or whatever else I may need to lug to classes come fall.

I balked a little bit at the price, but I ordered a sleeve for my TiBook long long ago, and remember liking the quality of the work and the attention to detail, and I'm definitely not disappointed that I ordered from them again. They were timely, and the quality, again, is AWESOME.

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 04:42 PM

Got my Pinder today, that was fast. It's a really nice bag, if you're looking for a small case. The fit on the sides is perfect, with 1.5 to 2 inches extra on top. Plus, it comes with a free shoulder strap, and the quality looks really great. For 20 something bucks and free shipping, I'm happy. www.pinderbags.com

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 09:11 PM

?????? it says $49 for the pinder on that site, and that's without shipping. How'd you get it so cheap?

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 09:19 PM

?????? it says $49 for the pinder on that site, and that's without shipping. How'd you get it so cheap?
it is the small sizes that is cheaper. the regular sizes are still regular prices
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 09:51 PM

Yeah, the small size is on sale. $29 I think.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 08:27 AM

Thanx. A great deal.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 12:44 PM

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 03:39 AM

Pics of my 13' CaseLogic Sleeve. My MacBook fits PERFECTLY in here. Nice and snug. The sleeve is mainly for protection against scratches while traveling.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2006, 07:21 AM

Just ordered the VAIO S Series sleeve (VGP-AMC1) from Amazon. I'll make do with this until I get what I REALLY want. A ZeroShock sleeve from Shinza.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

I got an STM small alley for Father's day and the fit is PERFECT. Thanks Ryanhugh, it's everything you said. Awesome how compact but how many pockets and things for STUFF!

foxfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2006, 10:43 AM

hello
just got myself an Dicota 13'' , i was looking for a small case with a buisness look, all 15'' case were to big and the laptop would slide inside so i tried this one
MultiSlight 12"/13". it is not a fun case, but the standart computer case.

it was not designed for the macbook but it fits there is some presure but the mac slide in and out easily , closing the zipper is no problem. got lots of space for my things in the front and inner pocket . A bonus for travelers who use suitcase trolleys , it has an strap at the back so you can slide in the upper part of the trolley.

Now for some pics

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 11:51 AM

Anyone here know if there's something similar to the TiCase for MacBooks? Or for MacBook sized PC laptops?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

azncreazion
Jun 18, 2006, 03:57 PM

Earlier I posted something me getting a Bithlotic case and once it came in, it was torn somewhat. The thing I did not know, is that they scan these forums. The owner contacted me and replaced my case. Now I have a fully functional one and its perfect! I still stand by my word that this only does protect your macbook from scratches and not drops, which I was looking for. Since you some of you have been asking for pics..... here they are!

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook1.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook2.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook3.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook4.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook5.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook6.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook7.jpg

http://www.azncreazion.com/images/ma...e/macbook8.jpg
( Last edited by azncreazion; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:43 PM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 04:13 PM

I think it would have been better if you posted smaller pics.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2006, 07:04 PM

anyone got Timbuk2?

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2006, 07:11 PM

I got an STM small alley for Father's day and the fit is PERFECT. Thanks Ryanhugh, it's everything you said. Awesome how compact but how many pockets and things for STUFF!

hells yeah man, no problem. I wish I had more places to take my macbook just so I could carry it around...haha.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 03:50 AM

azn, we appreciate the detailed pictures, but next time please link to them rather than including them in-line. huge pics are against forum rules, i think. thanks, y.
the only hardshell case i know of is the deer listed in the OP. thanks.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by azncreazion
Earlier I posted something me getting a Bithlotic case and once it came in, it was torn somewhat. The thing I did not know, is that they scan these forums. The owner contacted me and replaced my case. Now I have a fully functional one and its perfect! I still stand by my word that this only does protect your macbook from scratches and not drops, which I was looking for. Since you some of you have been asking for pics..... here they are!
Holy cow those are huge images.

Can you resize them or better yet make them hyperlinks instead inline image.

azncreazion
Jun 19, 2006, 01:41 PM

argh... fine

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 04:58 PM

I've got an Incase neoprene sleeve for my iBook right now. I'm looking for something as similar as possible for when I upgrade to my MacBook (should be any day now... ). I may have overlooked something, but I didn't notice anything all that comparable on this page. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just go to Fry's and look at VAIO sleeves...?

Originally Posted by azncreazion
argh... fine
Thank you!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 05:04 PM

try the vaio sleeve i linked from the OP: $17 on amazon

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 05:11 PM

The Amazon price on the Sony bag is now $16 -- 54% off! i just bought one...

i was at the Apple Store today, even the salesman there was telling me to look for Vaio products...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
The Amazon price on the Sony bag is now $16 -- 54% off! i just bought one...

i was at the Apple Store today, even the salesman there was telling me to look for Vaio products...
That looks perfect, thanks! Sorry for missing that in the OP. I think that'll be the one for me... here's hoping that it's still on sale when I have my MB!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 05:36 PM

sh1t, turns out that Amazon just stopped selling it, the $16 was from a seller, so you have to pay $8 shipping. i just ordered it from ABT electronics (found thru shopping.com) for $22 shipped. ccrap.. oh well, that's life

i was digging around in my house and found an old Targus jawn that should serve well if i ever want to carry around the sleeved laptop in a briefcase-style bag, so that's nice...

beg-ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 10:42 PM

Just received my waterfield Sleeve for my MacBook. So far its great. I ordered it on Thursday at 11pm and it arrived at noon in the mail today.

I really like the inside, the neoprene should work great. I decided to go with the Flap, D-Rings and Piggyback. I'll just use my old strap from my old 12" booq bag.

It seems very well built, and the piggy back works great for putting all my usual Mac accessories as well as some other assorted geekery.

I was surprised, I was able to get all the stuff I figure i might need in the piggy back with plenty of room to spare. I also tried to fill it up with as much stuff as I could and managed to get all of this in it with room to spare:

Ipod Nano, Lanyard, Mighty Mouse, Power Adapter, The extension for the power cord, Canon SD400, MacBook Remote, DVI Adapter, DS Lite and a couple DS games. Cool

Highly recommended, the only thing I would like would be a handle on the top to carry it when I don't have time/don't want to use the strap.

Here are some photos i uploaded to my flickr account.
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Forum Links
Forum Rules