Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 5)
uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 19, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by beg-ne

I really like the inside, the neoprene should work great. I decided to go with the Flap, D-Rings and Piggyback. I'll just use my old strap from my old 12" booq bag.
what booq bag did you use previously? Vertical or horizontal?

i read that the vertical sleeve for the 12" powerbook fits the macbook, except it sticks out a little more than usual.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

dirtymouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 12:00 AM

(from http://foofshop.com )

Now available, build time: 6-8 days. In case you were waiting...
( Last edited by dirtymouse; Jun 20, 2006 at 05:58 AM. )
-----------------------
Author of 'Fix a troubled Mac'
Macintosh troubleshooting PDF
http://fixa.troubledmac.com

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 01:31 AM

"completely different"? foofs have been in the OP on this thread since the beginning, and we've had several extended conversations about foofs here.

read before posting

yakov.

dirtymouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yakov
"completely different"? foofs have been in the OP on this thread since the beginning, and we've had several extended conversations about foofs here.

read before posting

yakov.

sorry yakov,

I just thought i'd let people know that the tweed (which was pre-order only) is now available.
( Last edited by dirtymouse; Jun 20, 2006 at 05:59 AM. )
-----------------------
Author of 'Fix a troubled Mac'
Macintosh troubleshooting PDF
http://fixa.troubledmac.com

beg-ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
what booq bag did you use previously? Vertical or horizontal?

i read that the vertical sleeve for the 12" powerbook fits the macbook, except it sticks out a little more than usual.
Yup it was the vertical, I like the vertical bags alot more than horizontal. I used my booq bag for little bit and it fit pretty well but did stick out the extra 1.3" I could still snap it shut, but it wasnt ideal, and I didn't want the power supply and stuff in the front flap to put a lot of pressure on the part that was sticking out.

beg-ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 08:29 AM

double post. Sorry
( Last edited by beg-ne; Jun 20, 2006 at 08:42 PM. )

Morfious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 10:01 PM

Can any owners of the STM Alley Small or STM Loft Small verify that the MacBook fits within these bags? I know the STM website says they are Macbook 13" compatible, however I compared their dimensions given on the STM site with the dimensions given on the Apple website and it looks like the bags are just a hair too small.
I just bough the small Alley bag from STM at my local Apple store. I can verify that the new macbook fits like a glove. Assuming my formatting is correct I will post some photographs for your enjoyment.Padding is adequate, It's a nice small bag. Good for teh macbook and a few accessory cables. Exactly what I was looking for.

Overview of bag with iPod inserted:

Top down view of macbook in bag:

jaydon34
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 10:29 PM

I just recieved this bag as a gift. It suppose to fit a 15.4 perfect but I find that it fits my macbook really snug. Its padded to protect it from bumps and dings but lacks a compartment for the power supply and other small acessories. It doesn't really bother me considering I plan to throw it in my napsack with textbooks. I just wanted a sleeve to protect the notebook from pens and junk in my bag.

Init Notebook Slip Case - $19.99
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Morfious
I just bough the small Alley bag from STM at my local Apple store. I can verify that the new macbook fits like a glove. Assuming my formatting is correct I will post some photographs for your enjoyment.Padding is adequate, It's a nice small bag. Good for teh macbook and a few accessory cables. Exactly what I was looking for.

Overview of bag with iPod inserted:

Top down view of macbook in bag:

great first post

now i must pick me up one of these before school starts
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 12:28 AM

what is the color of the bag? carbon?
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 12:32 AM

dirtymouse: sorry i misunderstood the content of your post... my hostility was unwarranted
everyone else: i guess i should put the small alley into the master list. i'll get to that sometime...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 12:51 AM

Wow that STM bag is nice.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 11:37 PM

Yup just got one too, fit is purrrfect!

Pics:

MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

azncreazion
Jun 21, 2006, 11:47 PM

I have a question. I'm about to buy something like this for school as well. But I want to know, do you think it is possible to run with this? For example, I'm late for a class I could run with this and it wouldn't be banging on my leg but rather stick to me like a backpack would? What do you guys think?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 12:01 AM

get a backpack, then!
probably the easiest and most flexible method for you would be to get a sleeve from Sony, Waterfield, Bitolithic, or one of the others listed on the first post of this thread.
then, you could use your existing backpack or get a laptop bag with a padded compartment (which would hold your sleeved computer).

yakov.

azncreazion
Jun 22, 2006, 09:05 AM

I would..... but I'm looking for something on the sytlish side

AH! Well I'll be going to the Apple Store today anyways, and check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have enough of backpacks!

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 11:45 AM

Only thing I don't care for on the STM is the nylon strap. I carried the thing around for about three hours on a hot day and got some mild burns on my neck. That pad is useless, it gets all twisted up. But a strap is easily changed out.

Now if they made that STM bag in leather with zippers, or a nice waxed canvas, that'd be killer.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 12:05 PM

This UK site reckons they have LArobe Be.ez sleeves and Tucano Second Skin sleeves for the MacBook...

I could have sworn that neither product actually exists...

Tucano Second Skin

Coloured LArobe Sleeve

"Classic" LArobe Sleeve

Edit: I found the same 13" sleeves linked above on cancomuk.com, who I know are a repuatble company, and are not just internet based, I've been to some of their stores in the UK, so I have faith in them, and I am going to order the LArobe black and white sleeve for 13" MacBook, shown here

Edit again: It looks as though none of the 13" sleeves listed are in stock yet...

Edit again again : Found another online UK store that has these 13" LArobe sleeves for sale... Seems as though they must exist... no?
( Last edited by harrisjamieh; Jun 22, 2006 at 12:39 PM. )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 03:22 PM

well, we knew all along that these products would come out eventually, so i guess they're creeping into catalogs and into stock. probably within a few weeks they will be much more widely available, at apple.com &c...
as for me, i have to go home and see my sony bag that arrived today. i'll post info & photos later...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2006, 03:29 PM

Personally I like Crumpler bags, but I won't do the injustice of linking to their horrid site.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 22, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Personally I like Crumpler bags, but I won't do the injustice of linking to their horrid site.
Is that the one with the chicken or something?

"Hello, what have we here?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2006, 04:17 PM

It's pretty bad whatever it is.

www.crumpler.com.au if you want to check it out (wouldnt recommend it tho)

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 06:05 PM

Crumpler: The School Hymns ($40) are purty. They updated their web site design and added a Macbook Pro 15. Macbook 13 coming soon? Here's a link to the catalog that skips the incredibly annoying flash intro.
that's been in the OP for a while now...

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 06:08 PM

hey, i got the Sony. it's pretty basic, no frills. works nice with my backpack and very well inside my old hand-me-down Targus briefcase bag. (How old, you ask? I opened up an inside pocket and found a 3.5" disc labeled "PowerBook 190 Series Disk Tools.") Doesn't blow me away but it's cheaper than almost every other option. Maybe next year I'll buy a Shinza Zeroshock, Crumpler School Hymn, Booq Viper, or Tom Bihn Brain Cell, but none of thoser are available yet and I needed something for right now... pictures later.

reybart
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=Star-Fire]Yup just got one too, fit is purrrfect!

Pics:

That glowing apple logo is really hot! Even the MB is off.

valloq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 12:37 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say I got the STM Alley Small for my white macbook as well and it fits perfectly. I got it from Radtech and even e-mailed them to find out the difference between the Alley and the Loft. Surprise surprise, they're identical aside for the colors and the materials. That settled the $25 price difference for me =)

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 10:56 AM

I didn't even know about the Loft! I've been reading this thread since the start. I would've gotten that, it's only $15 difference and I'm a Browns fan so I can dig those funky colors!

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 01:55 PM

The Amazon price on the Sony bag is now $16 -- 54% off! i just bought one...

i was at the Apple Store today, even the salesman there was telling me to look for Vaio products...
Anyone know where to buy this sleeve in Canada? Will the Sony stores have it?
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
This UK site reckons they have LArobe Be.ez sleeves and Tucano Second Skin sleeves for the MacBook...

I could have sworn that neither product actually exists...
I emailed Tucano a week ago and they just got back to me today with the following:

Subject: R: Apple Elements MacBook 13.3" Sleeve?
Date: 23 June 2006 15:09:08 BDT

Dear Simon

These were shipped out today to our distributor partners.

Sorry for the delay in replying
Ronan

-----Messaggio originale-----
Inviato: giovedì 15 giugno 2006 11.33
A: International
Oggetto: Apple Elements MacBook 13.3" Sleeve?

Hello,

I was just wondering whether or not you would be making a sleeve for the MacBook (13.3") in the same style as your Elements range?

Thanks,
Simon
And you can apparently buy one at this UK site, but I shall wait until I can buy it an actual shop I reckon.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ewharris4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 02:11 PM

Hey Yakov and everyone - just wanted to inform everyone that the DeerPack sleeve is a great product, but it is about half an inch too short for the MB - the velcro flaps at the top won't close. I'm sending the one I ordered back.

I may just wait until Tom Bihn comes out with a Monolith that will fit the MB perfectly - like the vertical orientation, and I think that would be the best sleeve for me.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2006, 08:33 PM

I have the waterfield sleeve - nice nylon exterior that is pretty tough and thick neoprene. Does the trick although no rigid inserts like the old willow design stuff or the Tom Bihn Brain Cell. However, it is very spiffy and I think the build is better than willow.

Their cargo bags are OK - personally up close it feels more of a briefcase/corporate style rather than bike messenger and rugged...feels less rugged than my Timbuk2 messenger bag.

I have a small timbuk2 messenger bag and I found out my macbook fits in it w/ the waterfield sleeve, I may end up using this config more often than the cargo.

Regarding Crumpler stuff which is remarkably similar to Timbuk2:

Both crumpler and timbuk2 stuff are very well made - timbuk2 has a waterproof rubberized inner lining whereas crumpler is water "resistant"...the timbuk2 bags I've seen feel subjectively made of heavier material although this is probably insignificant - crumpler nylon is pretty heavy duty as well. Timbuk2 messenger bags are made in SF, whereas their computer bags and all of crumpler's lineup are outsourced to China. Still the build quality is good. (all of booq is outsourced to china too fyi)

Of note: Timbuk2 laptop inserts/compartments usually have a texture I would describe as similar to corduroy or like one of those sofa covers...i.e. cloth like. Crumpler laptop inserts tend to be lined w/ ripstop nylon which is a coarser surface so if you have a glossy surfaced laptop like the iBooks and the white macbooks, you probably should use something like the waterfield sleeve (or foof or booq or whatever your favorite is) to prevent scratching/scuffing.
( Last edited by tycheung; Jun 24, 2006 at 08:43 PM. )

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It's pretty bad whatever it is.

www.crumpler.com.au if you want to check it out (wouldnt recommend it tho)
Once you cross the equator it makes perfect sense! just like aussie toilets!

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 12:50 PM

i contacted marware about sportfolio cases for the macbook and they replied "ETA for Macbook Sportfolios is late July/early August."

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 03:03 AM

STM sleeves -- Glove and Rebound -- are now available for pre-order in Macbook size. They ship July 12. Here -- http://www.radtech.us/Products/SpecialtyBags.aspx.

A question: Is the Rebound basically the same as the Shinza Zeroshock?

joel_v
Jun 30, 2006, 03:33 AM

im thinking about getting one of those STM small alley bags aswell. i have some questions for people who already have one.

1. does it have a carry handle at the top of the bag.
2. how do you like the vertical style, as most bags the laptops are horizontally positioned.

Big Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 10:20 AM

Has anybody brought one of the STM Macbook gloves\sleeve

http://www.stmbags.com.au/glove

Any good? The website doesn't give a lot of details about build quality.

Morfious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by joel_v
im thinking about getting one of those STM small alley bags aswell. i have some questions for people who already have one.

1. does it have a carry handle at the top of the bag.
2. how do you like the vertical style, as most bags the laptops are horizontally positioned.

It has a shoulder strap as well as a grab handle at the top of the bag.

I think it works out just fine. I like being able to charge teh laptop without entirely taking it out of the case. unplug and close flap as I run out the door,

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Morfious
It has a shoulder strap as well as a grab handle at the top of the bag.

I think it works out just fine. I like being able to charge teh laptop without entirely taking it out of the case. unplug and close flap as I run out the door,
The STM glove model is so similar to the Sony Vaio sleeve. The Sony has rubber/plastic covered zipper pull tabs and protects the dual zippers all the way around on both sides.

(As mentioned earlier in this thread by myself and others and also included at the beginning by Yakov), we bought two from Amazon for $17 each (no tax or shipping charge). The link is earlier in the thread also to see it.

The Vaio sleeve allows you to leave the MacBook sleeved with one zipper 'open' partially to leave the charger connected for a fast disconnect and run, if you have to leave quickly also.

Excellent rating here for quality and value and protection. The Vaio name plate is easily removed from the one side (doesn't bother me)

Sonys' sleeve is also available from Frys and Circuit City, if you have a store nearby.
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jul 1, 2006 at 11:06 AM. )

Tizoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 12:06 PM

Bad news about the Vaio--Amazon has ballooned the price to $25 now. Glad I got mine at $16 before this happened.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tizoc
Bad news about the Vaio--Amazon has ballooned the price to $25 now. Glad I got mine at $16 before this happened.
We got one at Frys for about$19 + tax, I believe.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 09:30 PM

anyone used the Mac-Case sleeves (http://www.mac-case.com/MacCase%20Sleeves.htm)? i've seen them in the store and they seem decent; they are working on a MacBook-compatible one and are sending a free 14" sleeve until the 13" is ready; get to keep both for the price of one.

i've got a backpack that has the computer compartment (bought when i was planning for the 15" PB or MBP)....but now I am thinking about getting the BlacBook and after reading the various posts here, thinking that a sleeve is "a really good idea" for extra protection/padding (somewhat) from the book or two i have for classes and any other stuff that makes it's way into the backpack.

thanks for the help!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2006, 09:19 PM

Below are some shots of my Foof bag. I got the fire engine red corduroy sleeve. It's really nice. It loads in from the short side and is basically just a big sock for the MacBook. The inside is a nice soft black cloth. It's perfect for when I want to take my MacBook somewhere but don't need all the accessories and just want to keep it scratch-free. It's also good for tossing in my backpack when I do want to take the mouse and power adapter with me. It doubles as a lap protector (not officially, it's not a heat stopper afaik) but it does protect my legs from the high temps it can get to.

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/ma...temp/foof1.jpg

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/ma...temp/foof2.jpg

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/ma...temp/foof3.jpg
( Last edited by kaido; Aug 1, 2006 at 02:37 PM. )

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 01:11 AM

if you're going to be commuting, walking around town, or hanging in bars or coffeshops with your macbook i suggest you get a good sleeve and and a canvas satchel from an army surplus store. havinf an expensive notebook bag just screams laptop inside.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by roosta
if you're going to be commuting, walking around town, or hanging in bars or coffeshops with your macbook i suggest you get a good sleeve and and a canvas satchel from an army surplus store. havinf an expensive notebook bag just screams laptop inside.
Any sleeve you get is priceless in a coffee shop or elsewhere to rest your MacBook on so the display rear top edge doesn't get scuffed when it's opened all the way back.

Open the LCD display and look at the MacBook sideways to see what I mean.
I use a coolpad at home and at work for this reason alone.

I think this is a design oversight that could be remedied with taller feet (at least in the rear two) and also help a little with cooling.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by roosta
true, but at the same time, apple laptops are known for their thinness and getting a canvas satchel defeats the advantage of having a macbook. look at the weight at some of the heavier laptop bags. 2 or 3+ lbs for the ones with all the pockets. I would rather get a "non-traditional" laptops bag. For example, if you saw a targus bag that was a shape of a laptop, that's easy pickings.

However, if you got the STM alley bags, it looks more like a "man purse." i mean, there aren't that many vertical laptop bags out there. or get a backpak with a built in sleeve, or get a booq sleeve and toss that whereever.

ironically, i don't plan on getting the STM man purse. i'm waiting for a marware type sportfolio case. There is NO way i'm paying $100 for a case (see sfbags/waterfield) that has no more functionality advantage than a marware. I would actually use the sportfolio made for the 14" ibook, but it is too deep, but length is very nice fit.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 05:41 AM

I really liked the Marware sleeve for my 15" al pb.

I e-mailed the company and their updated line in going to be posted mid-July. The wait's killing me. I haven't walked out the door with the macbook yet for that reason.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 10:29 AM

I'm pretty happy with my STM Alley.

Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 10:32 AM

I bought the Tucano Microfiber Second Skin (for the Macbook). I bought it from Cancom. Would people like photos?

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by raekwon
I'm pretty happy with my STM Alley.

Is that black? The only ones I can find are olive.

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons
Is that black? The only ones I can find are olive.
It's "carbon", which I can only describe as being a dark-dark-dark-dark-bluish-grey (pretty close to black but not quite black). It's a pretty darn nice color. I got mine from www.radtech.us . . . free shipping, too.
Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules