Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 6)
weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 02:50 AM

Has anyone heard anything about the Shinza ZeroShocks? They seem to have gotten the 17" sleeves out in about a month (17" MBP released April 24; sleeve released mid-May), but there's been no word as far as I know about 13.3" sleeves even though it's been nearly 2 months...meh.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by weissinator
Has anyone heard anything about the Shinza ZeroShocks? They seem to have gotten the 17" sleeves out in about a month (17" MBP released April 24; sleeve released mid-May), but there's been no word as far as I know about 13.3" sleeves even though it's been nearly 2 months...meh.
I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Had one for my 12" iBook and absolutely LOVED IT! I am making due with the Sony Vaio sleeve right now...but that will be kicked to the curb as soon as Shinza releases a ZeroShock sleeve for the MacBook!!

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 12:37 PM

Tucano second skin

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 02:30 PM

UPDATE -- got a SECOND reply, from the same person, but with more precise info:

Your request has been one of many wondering when we will have the new 13"
sleeve available for purchase. We are completely out of stock for all the
MacBook sleeves. These sleeves are custom order and have taken a
frustratingly long time to design. Thankfully, we have been told that all
colors in the MacBook Pro sleeve will be available for purchase in the last
week in August. We have included a design for the 13" MacBook and this will
also be available at the end of August. We hope that you will wait patiently
with us and order your sleeve when it becomes available. Thank you for your
interest in shinza.com.

Sincerely,

Audrey
Shinza.com
Customer Service
To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure I AM willing to wait -- might just get the STM Rebound instead, since it seems to be the same materials and ships out July 12.
( Last edited by weissinator; Jul 6, 2006 at 09:20 PM. )

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 04:08 PM

I got my STM Alley bag yesterday. It fits my Macbook almost perfectly, I'm very happy with it. Bonus points for it not looking like a typical notebook case, the vertical orientation is very nice. People have already posted several pictures of it in this thread so I wont. The coloring is interesting; depending on the light it appears black, grey, or a very dark olive-green.

The one thing I don't like about the STM Alley is the velcro fasteners for the front and secondary flaps. Velcro annoys the heck out of me and I actually find it fairly painful to listen to as it is ripped apart (not dissimilar to "nails-on-a-chalkboard" for a lot of people). To fix this I went to my local hobby store and bought a set of magnetic clasps, very similar to what you see on a lot of women's purses. I removed the velcro with a razor and affixed the magnets to hold the front flap. They are very secure and, more importantly, very quiet. Unfortunately I only bought one set to try it out so I need to go buy another for the inner flap closes the laptop bay itself.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 05:31 PM

i took some pics of the macbook case from sony

six images in my flickrset

paytonc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 02:31 AM

Just received a Pinder sleeve (http://www.pinderbags.com/14_inch_laptop_carrier.html) which somehow came to a mere $24.50 shipped via 2-day Priority -- guess I'm the only one who likes orange. Used a since-discontinued Timbuk2 sleeve with my iBook, but it had a few shortcomings: no pockets (= full hands and pant pockets), left the computer exposed on the top, and only available in basic black. Besides, they haven't built one for the MacBook yet.

The Pinder fits great along the sides, but it does leave a few inches at the top -- a good spot to stash a camera and a phone, perhaps. The side pocket's roomy enough for a large magazine (good for use with the bag as an insulating lap desk), the AC adapter, and assorted detritus. The hardware's top notch. In short, great for my needs: insulation inside my usual messenger bag or the occasional walk down to the café.

Two photos:
MacBook inside: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paytonc/183898389
Stuffing the side pocket: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paytonc/183898374

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 02:54 AM

i'm receiving a 13" macbook-specific thin sleeve with handles and shoulderstrap on monday, so i'll post pics at that time. I would say it is a cross between the marware sportfolios and the sfbags, all at a reasonable price. I actually might sell the one i ordered on macnn because i'm having second thoughts on the color that i ordered (white/silver to match my macbook)

i will reveal the bag on monday, but as a teaser, including shipping, this sleeve/case only cost $46, VERY reasonable for a macbook-specific sleeve. (the closest competitor can come close to $100 with the piggyback.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2006, 08:41 PM

UPDATE -- got a SECOND reply, from the same person, but with more precise info:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure I AM willing to wait -- might just get the STM Rebound instead, since it seems to be the same materials and ships out July 12.
Heh, I just got the same email from them. I actually AM willing to wait. I had a ZeroShock for my 12" iBook and absolutely loved it.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by katy

Tucano second skin
What kind of screen saver cloth is that?

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 11:50 PM

What kind of screen saver cloth is that?
I'm pretty sure it's one that comes with the Tucano sleeve -- I think it's just a microfiber thing.

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 04:04 AM

I'm pretty sure it's one that comes with the Tucano sleeve -- I think it's just a microfiber thing.
You're right.

shiropetto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 10:56 AM

i just asked for a free microfibre cloth at the nearest glasses store.... it fits perfectly

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 11:17 AM

My LArobe sleeve will be with me sometime next week... I had one for my iBook and it was great.. this time I went for the black w/white piping scheme... I'll post some pics when it gets here.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Ouhei
Jul 8, 2006, 11:39 AM

Has anyone ordered the tom bihn softcase? I'm planning on getting that one before I go back to school.

Nikhil72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 01:00 AM

I just received the Mamba S from BooqBags for my BlackBook...it was $109 but it's perfect. It's a vertical messenger design with a generous number of pockets. The outside flap has its own iPod pocket with headphone hole...it's magnetic and when the flap is lifted, there are two pockets...I keep my eye glasses case in one and my cell phone in the other. In the main compartment there are several more pockets and some room for a small book or magazine or file...I keep my power adapter and Apple remote in here...in a separate padded compartment goes the MacBook and it fits perfectly. The bag is relatively lightweight and is very durable feeling; it's also very comfortable to carry. I've used BooqBags before and I love their products and this certainly doesn't disappoint.

The size of the laptop comparment was made for a 12" PowerBook but the MacBook fits perfectly...it's a nice, snug fit...I don't think it's loose at all.
( Last edited by Nikhil72; Jul 13, 2006 at 10:16 AM. )

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 01:52 AM

Any word yet on the Incase Neoprene Sleeve? The iBook model is excellent, so I'll assume that the MacBook sleeve is of comparable quality unless I hear otherwise.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 07:03 AM

Has anyone had any experience with Sumo sleeves? This one: http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/product...category_id=79

would seem to be a better fit and offer more protection than the Tucano sleeve: http://www.macheaven.co.uk/?page=proddetail&prod=19370

Choice is more limited in the UK (unless you want to pay the high shipping charges for stuff from abroad).

davdav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 09:22 PM

I had a ZeroShock for my 12" as well and loved it.

Although I am waiting for the school hymn for my macbook because it is just so beautiful.

Crumpler... get your act together!

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 12:16 AM

I've ordered the STM Rebound (or, more precisely, gotten a relative to buy it for me as a gift). I'm not willing to wait until the end of August for the ZeroShock when there's a sleeve available that, to all appearances, is essentially the same. Esp since I'm going to be traveling between now and then. I'm also getting the InvisibleSHIELD, since I have the white Macbook and I'd really like to avoid getting frightening stains from my hands.

I'll post when things arrive.

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 12:18 PM

I just placed an order for the Vyper XS2 which is now available on boogbags website. It should be here within the week, I'll post impressions after I get it.

MisterX88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 03:36 PM

Just ordered the STM Glove. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long to clear customs to Canada. Will post when I get it.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 05:04 PM

Anyone in UK got the STM Rebound? It looks nice, but it's hard to get hold of it. I've got Cancom and others calling me back to see if they will have it in stock. I'll tell you if they do.

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst, Yesterday 01:52 AM

Any word yet on the Incase Neoprene Sleeve? The iBook model is excellent, so I'll assume that the MacBook sleeve is of comparable quality unless I hear otherwise.
I was checking the Apple website and they have the Incase Neoprene Sleeve in Light Blue and Black if you wanna check them out. I've been using an old JanSport sleeve that I found in my dads office. I can post picutures if anyone wants to see it. It's paired with my swiss army backpack and has been doing good.

I'm trying to decide between the Booq XS2 (what i wanted from the beginning) or wait for the Marware Sleeve. If the Bitolithic came in a color other than blue I would have bought it a long time ago. Prices just went up on them I see as well.

Does the Booq XS2 provide protection from the zippers? Does anyone have upclose pictures of the XS2 (or any other Booq sleeve for that matter, I assume the design is the same) that they can post? Thanks.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 06:18 PM

wow, lots of new developments... we finally have the incase, word from shinza, new stuff on radtech... the OP really needs an update... i promise i'll do it soon...

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 11:00 PM

Holy... I was all excited that the XS2 was available on booq's site, got up to the order screen and noticed they're charging $55 to SHIP the #!@%!$ case!! good lord... that is MORE than the case itself! That's just ridiculous!

Time to find another case...

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by kashirat
Holy... I was all excited that the XS2 was available on booq's site, got up to the order screen and noticed they're charging $55 to SHIP the #!@%!$ case!! good lord... that is MORE than the case itself! That's just ridiculous!

Time to find another case...
When I ordered mine, the shipping was only $10 and it shipped today just like they said it would. I'm guessing you saw a glitch on there site.

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Disengage
When I ordered mine, the shipping was only $10 and it shipped today just like they said it would. I'm guessing you saw a glitch on there site.
Shipping to the states of to Canada? I'm in Canada Apparently Fedex International costs an arm and a leg.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 12:21 AM

Booq XS2 is great if it had a HANDLE!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kashirat
Shipping to the states of to Canada? I'm in Canada Apparently Fedex International costs an arm and a leg.
I live in the US, so I guess that is the explanation. Man that is crazy! I would contact them and make sure that is correct.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 09:37 AM

the thing i question about the incase cases (the ones with handles and the shoulder strap) is whether or not the pocket on the side can accomodate the ac adapter. when the cord is wrapped around the "legs" the adapter becomes bulkier than normal

the marware cases are made of stretchy neoprene. the sfbag/waterfield have a piggyback available. but it seems incase has a very narrow pocket, and as far as i remembered, the outside material was not stretchy at all.

what do you guys think? can people who have owned an incase sleeve (even the ones for powerbooks/ibooks chime in?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 11, 2006, 09:56 AM

What ever happened to InCase's website? it used to be awesome and now it is some ghetto crap that hardly shows any products.

"Hello, what have we here?

davdav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 10:26 AM

Since when did the XS2 come out? That is a little bit sooner than August :-D

Will order one today because the stupid School Hymn is not out yet

gblakely14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 04:49 PM

I am really torn between the Booq Vyper and the Waterfield? I guess protection is the most important thing to me. Can anyone who has used or seen both of these offer me an opinion?

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 05:33 PM

i've used the booq Vyper for the 15" powerbook and i've seen the waterfield sleeve for the 15" macbook pro (with all the trimmings: flap, shoulder strap, piggyback, etc)

in terms of sheer protection, it depends on what you're protecting it from. The booq vyper is much stiffer, as if there was a thin plastic sheet built-in. you can't really bend it in half.

the waterfield is much more padded, but it is more flexible/bendable.

gblakely14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 07:25 PM

I guess I would wonder is there enough padding to protect it from a fall in the Vyper? Also I am contemplating getting the Vyper and the Radtech Sleeve? Would they be able to be used in conjunction?

Right now I think it has come down to the Vyper vs. the STM Bag vs. the Rebound?

What is closest to the Shinza zero shock, the Vyper or the Rebound?

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by gblakely14
What is closest to the Shinza zero shock, the Vyper or the Rebound?
I THINK that the Rebound is closer -- it's made of high resistance polyurethane foam, like the ZeroShock. As far as I can tell, the Vyper is similar, but also has the ballistic nylon on the outside, which makes it stiff. The impression I've gotten (albeit from pictures) is that the Rebound and the ZeroShock are a little more flexible. As to which offers better protection, I'm not sure...I could see arguments going either way...

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 10:23 PM

For any Canadians who are looking for the Vyper XS2, ReadyAndSold, one of booq's resellers ReadyAndSold will have them soon. They're in the Ontario region:

https://www.readyandsold.com/shoppin...cat=250&page=1

A far cry better than the $50 shipping from booq themselves

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 03:03 AM

I just got my LArobe sleeve and it rocks! Just what I expected (I used to have a 12" version), and it fits the MB like a glove. The black & white colour scheme is great too (though when taking the MacBook out of the case, the stark white of the case makes the MacBook look a horrible creamy colour )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 04:13 AM

yeah... one thing I haven't seen mentioned much in this thread is the Brenthaven Metro black... I think I saw one at the Apple store, and I have looked at it online, and I really think this is the bag for me.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 02:02 PM

I just recieved my Vyper XS2. My Macbook seems well protected although I wish it had a bit more padding inside. The semi rigid shell is nice and provides good protection, however, I think it could benefit from having the insided padded like an incase sleeve. My Macbook seems to fit pretty snug, although it does feel like it shifts a little from side to side.

Those are my only problems with it, it is built great and the material seems tough. I recommend them and I personally think it is worth the $65 after shipping, but I can't say that everyone will agree with me. My only other experience has been with Incase sleeves and I liked them just as well, but I prefer a more rigid sleeve.

macross
Jul 12, 2006, 04:31 PM

is everyone with an STM alley bag ordering it from radtech.us? I can't seem to find it at any apple store (the 13" olive color)

AllanCook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 09:05 PM

I just got my Booq MacBook case, which originally was scheduled for delivery Aug. 21. The manufacturing quality is outstanding and it looks great, but it seems to have little or no shock-absorbent padding. Since I'll be carrying mine in a well-padded shoulder bag, it's no big deal, but if I didn't have that padding I might be a little disappointed with the Booq case.

kayyylord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 11:18 AM

i was thinking about getting a be.ez LArobe case does anyone have one or know what there like or how they fit?
( Last edited by kayyylord; Jul 15, 2006 at 11:26 AM. )

leonking
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 11:55 AM

I have the Incase Nylon Sleeve - with strap and handles and compartments for the charger and stuff - it's $50 and well worth it. fuzzy inside

ERG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 05:31 PM

MacBook Pro 17"
I bought discounted 25% from AppleStore a LeBag Pro be.ez really good and practical in one month..
Yesterday I've been gifted (my birthday next week anticipation) a Tucano second skin...

Two really good solution for different transport needs

Ouhei
Jul 15, 2006, 09:33 PM

I ordered my Tom Bihn Soft case today, should ship out monday.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by leonking
I have the Incase Nylon Sleeve - with strap and handles and compartments for the charger and stuff - it's $50 and well worth it. fuzzy inside
can you post pictures of the nylon sleeve? i'm interested in how big the accessory pockets are and how big of a bulge is present when the poweradapter is in it.

thanks

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 03:34 PM

This thread has a great list of sleeves and cases for the MacBook!

Our shipment of Booq Vyper XS2's are coming in on Tuesday (the 18th). We still have a few left on this shipment, so if anyone is interested in picking one up, come on by!

Booq Vyper XS2's

Heebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 08:34 AM

Can anyone tell me how well the padding in the STM Alley is? Im considering picking one up since it will be the all in one case for my Macbook but I am wondering if it will be up to the task of being the only line of defense against bumps. I already have a backpack but I kind of want an excuse to get a new bag for my Macbook . So is the STM all its hyped up to be? Or am I better off getting a case and sticking it inside a backpack?

Forum Links
Forum Rules