Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 7)
Outie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hello!

Just ordered Booq's XS2 so will have a review on that soon!

Outie

Case
Jul 17, 2006, 01:51 PM

I got the incase breif and I love it. Slip it in a backpack and jet. Good protection and holds some things in the inside pockets and ones on the front. Looks nice too. : )

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.6.3

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Case
I got the incase breif and I love it. Slip it in a backpack and jet. Good protection and holds some things in the inside pockets and ones on the front. Looks nice too. : )

can you post some pics of the case? i'm curious how well the adapter fits in the inner or outer pocket. thanks
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Case
Jul 17, 2006, 02:23 PM

I will when I can. No wheres near a camera night now. Theres some good pictures of it on the link provided.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 17, 2006, 03:12 PM

Not sure about the measurements but I just found these:

http://www.powertraveller.com/acatalog/Laptop_Bags.html

"Hello, what have we here?

MiniMoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Case

That's good to hear, thanks. I have a silver one on order.
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

iluvsushi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 12:04 AM

I have placed an order for the bumbakpak... I will receive it in a few days and report on it. I ordered the Medium sized Macbakpak, since they say the small version won't fit the 13' macbook.

www.bumbakpak.com

Rally1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 12:08 AM

I went to the Mac store and got an Alley, also picked up the Incase sleeve and Vaio sleeve.

Both sleeves fit well, the Vaio is a little tighter, the Incase one has the advantage of the pocket.

The alley case looks good, but I have a couple issues with it. The strap is to flimsy, to it twists rather easily, and the cell/phone ipod holder is then backwards.
More importantly is the handle issue. I don't who was paid to design the bag, but the handle design would fail a highschool design class. It's attached to the back of the bag (not the top) so the bag hangs at an angle if u carry it. But worse in my opinion is the discomfort it causes when using the shoulder strap. The hard handle flaps down, and digs right into your back when you are walking. A simple redesign and the bad would be 100% for me.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by iluvsushi
I have placed an order for the bumbakpak... I will receive it in a few days and report on it. I ordered the Medium sized Macbakpak, since they say the small version won't fit the 13' macbook.

www.bumbakpak.com

Yickes, personally I think it looks really stupid, like a baby carrier or something... except on your ass

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Yickes, personally I think it looks really stupid, like a baby carrier or something... except on your ass

Yeah that guy in the picture doesn't look too happy to be carrying it lol. I'm really enjoying my Foof bag. Those Powertraveller bags look pretty neat, like a slim version of a tote bag I have. Might have to pick one of those up...anyone have one?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2006, 12:55 AM

nowhere near as gross as the laptop jock straps i saw for sale before...

( Last edited by Yakov; Jul 18, 2006 at 01:14 AM. )

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2006, 01:30 AM

update on the original post

'twas long overdue...
i grouped the bags together as a group, separate from the sleeves
added a few things, and updated some data
anything else i should add? please tell me
thanks

yakov

Heebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 07:47 AM

Guess Im not getting one of those Alleys... Ill get a Crumpler instead.

www.pivotgear.com has a nice assortment of Mac13 cases and bags. Here is a link to what I will probably buy:

http://www.pivotgear.com/products/ba..._black_oatmeal
( Last edited by Heebs; Jul 18, 2006 at 08:00 AM. )

fox-orian
Jul 18, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hey everyone, I thought I would stop by and give my two cents with my experience with the STM 13" Small Alley messenger-type bag.

I thought I would bring something new to the table -- What about Macbook AND Wacom Tablet mobility? Alot of artists need to bring their tablets with them, but where's a good stylish bag to carry both the macbook and tablet?

The STM Small Alley is the bag you'd need -- if you're looking for a somewhat non-professional non-boring non-black-leather executive type bag. This bag seems to appeal to the indie crowd [such as myself.]

In most cases, pictures speak louder than words, so...

So here's the bag. I got mine in the color "Olive" which, as you can assume, is a bit of a military-jade-green color.The bag itself is smalller than I imagined, as you can see from the CD I placed next to the bag for scale.

However, its small size isn't to be underestimated...

Here is everything that was inside the bag from the picture above strewn out on a table.
This bag holds a lot more than I thought.

Emptied out, here are the available pockets under the cover-flap.
There's a highly padded laptop sleeve, a large pocket for document-sized objects, a zipper pocket that can hold all sorts of cables or accessories, and a smaller pocket that can hold 2.5" HDD sized objects, pens, or whatnot.
** Note the cross-stitch in the velcro. These won't break off that easily!
** Edit: The zipper pouch has a keyring clip inside!

The cover-flap has its own pocket roughly the size of the flap itself. The inside of these pockets are a silky smooth polyester. Curled up cables, documentation, or smaller flat objects fit well in here.

The back has a very comfortable soft-rubber handle for those times you dont want to use the shoulderstrap. The pouch in the back is kind of hefty and can carry some durable objects such as the Macbooks grounding power cable or CD's. [CD's are well protected in this rear pouch because of the durable padding the back has against puncures or dents.]

The shoulder strap contains a cell-phone pouch. While this could be used to hold your cellphone without a problem, you could just as easily store things like keys, your ipod, usb-drives, or money. To my knowledge, a Video iPod can fit in this pocket as it's made of a stretchy elastic material, giving the pouch a spacious but hugging reaction to whatever you put in. The second picture shows that I keep my Apple Remote, iPod Shuffle, and iPod Nano in the pouch -- though they're hidden by the remote.

Macbook inserted, the sleeve has a thick layer of padding on all sides. The inside of the pouch is not microfiber, it's a smooth polyester material that definately won't scratch up your macbook while travelling or taking it out.

Now here's the part I was a little nervous about. As an artists in an art college, I need to take my tablet everywhere, and I would hate it if I need a second bag for it. --- Turns out, my fears were for not! With the cable curled up behind the tablet, a maximum tablet of 6x8" will fit inside the document pocket with room to spare for papers! Though the tablet sticks out slightly higher than the Macbook sleeve preventing small sleeve cover to curl over and touch the velcro, the cover-flap still reaches its velco without a problem. The pen slips easily into any of the other pockets.
You can see the AC adapter and other accessories in the zipper pocket.

You can see the macbook flap can't curl down to its velcro with the tablet inserted. I feel this isn't too much of a problem. Other accessories seen in the small pocket.

Lastly, here is the bag closed once more with tablet, macbook, all accessories and cables inside.
The entire package is lightweight and a pleasure to keep on your shoulder and by your side.

Now that you've seen it, my official impression on this bag...

Quality: 5/5 [Feels like this bag will last for decades of use. The material isnt cheap and the stitchings are not skimped.]
Style: 4.5/5 [I dont care for broad shoulder straps. However, the colors used and the very tasteful "STM" logo makes me not want to cover this bag up with patches and pins. I'm content with my british flag.]
Comfort: 4.5/5 [Though I don't particularly care for broad straps, the soft shoulder pad and grip handle are very comfortable for long periods of carrying. The bag seems to disperse weight well making even heavy loads easily bearable.]
Protection: 4/5 [The macbook sleeve is very durable but the front pockets are slightly vulnerable. The material is self-healing, so punctures by pins rub right out. The bag also feels as though it could stand up to running through the rain.]
Bang-For-Buck: 5/5 [At $40 msrp, the 13" small alley is a serious bargain considering most other bags for are $65+]

I give this thing a 4.5/5 for overall impression, I don't see myself getting anything more functional and stylish at a lower price. I don't care much for leather, anyway.
( Last edited by fox-orian; Jul 18, 2006 at 03:54 PM. )

bembol
Jul 18, 2006, 03:47 PM

^^

Amazing review/pics...thanks...if I didn't find my Eddie Bauer for $25 CAN...I would've definately picked this up...!!! It's the Top Rated/Best Seller apple.ca

I'll see if I can sell it. LOL

fox-orian
Jul 18, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bembol
^^

Amazing review/pics...thanks...if I didn't find my Eddie Bauer for $25 CAN...I would've definately picked this up...!!! It's the Top Rated/Best Seller apple.ca

I'll see if I can sell it. LOL

If you feel like you must
I got mine from J&R electronics --
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072439
There's the link to it specifically for $45 after shipping. They're based in New York, so me living in Massachusetts, the bag came in roughly one bussiness day. That was awfully nice considering most of my orders come from CA.

astor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 03:56 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a Vyper XS2 for my 13.3" Macbook. I will be using it to put my macbook in a backpack which is why i chose the form fitting, small XS2. I need to know if you can get the macbook out of the sleeve without completely unzipping it. If you unzip just the top of it (when vertical in a bag), can you remove the Macbook easily enough. It would be nice not to have to take out the whole sleeve. Thanks.

shiropetto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 08:38 PM

how much additional stuff can the STM alley bag hold? besides the macbook, can the bag hold a textbook? a small textbook and a small folder? a textbook/notebook/folder? i really want to get this bag but i am afraid there will not be enough space for me if i want to write a paper or something and need to carry more stuff around in addition to the macbook

fox-orian
Jul 19, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by shiropetto
how much additional stuff can the STM alley bag hold? besides the macbook, can the bag hold a textbook? a small textbook and a small folder? a textbook/notebook/folder? i really want to get this bag but i am afraid there will not be enough space for me if i want to write a paper or something and need to carry more stuff around in addition to the macbook

Check out my review of the small alley above on this page.
If the bag can additionally carry a 6x8 Wacom Tablet, the Small Alley could easily hold papers, folders, and a decent sized textbook. -- nothin big like an encyclopedia sized book, though. Something about the size of the MacBook itself could fit into the addition document pocket.

redpath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 12:00 PM

Apparently the bitolithic sleeves are completely sold out of all sizes. Posted on their website:

"Dear customers, please note that due to OVERWHELMING demand for our 13.3 inch MacBook sleeves we are temporarily out of material. We anticipated great demand and had quite a lot of material ordered but it just wasn't enough!

The delay won't be long, the bags will be available again as soon as the material arrives.

Thank you all for your patience! Keep your eyes on this page for updates, we may not be able to answer all query emails. "

I called the company 3 weeks ago and they said that it would be a week before they would have more sleeves in stock, but I have been checking back ever since and they are still sold out.

Neutron Zenith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 12:50 PM

Why couldn't Radtech have mentioned they were coming out with a black sleeve before I ordered the standard grey one from them? Oh well, I guess the grey contrasts nicely with my black Macbook... at least that is what I'll tell myself

fox-orian
Jul 20, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Neutron Zenith
Why couldn't Radtech have mentioned they were coming out with a black sleeve before I ordered the standard grey one from them? Oh well, I guess the grey contrasts nicely with my black Macbook... at least that is what I'll tell myself

I think a gray case is better for a black macbook, haha. Contrast is good. Black with black is just boring and expected. Hell, I'd geta gray/black one for a white macbook or a gray/white one for a black macbook eheh.

JayMan8081
Jul 20, 2006, 03:17 PM

I think that I am going to pick up the black sleeve from inCase this weekend for my white MacBook. I am going to be using a backpack that I have from college for the MacBook and accessories.

redpath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JayMan8081
I think that I am going to pick up the black sleeve from inCase this weekend for my white MacBook. I am going to be using a backpack that I have from college for the MacBook and accessories.
Watch out though...a number of reviews on the apple site mention that the zipper scratches the sides of the macbook....

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 08:49 AM

This nice one just started shipping for 13". It is ridiculously expensive though especially after shipping.

http://www.redmaloo.com/index_f.php

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

JayMan8081
Jul 21, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by redpath
Watch out though...a number of reviews on the apple site mention that the zipper scratches the sides of the macbook....
Hmm, okay so after reading some of the reviews on the apple site I think I might wait for the Bitolithic case to come back in stock. Thanks for the heads up!

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2006, 10:40 AM

RadTech has a 13.3" MacBook messenger bag available:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Loft

The model is the "Small Loft" for $55. It's an interesting "Chocolate + Orange" color. I'm really getting intrigued by these mini messenger bags; if I could just find one that could fit a full-sized college textbook and maybe a notebook I'd be all set

More pics here:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Shoul...ImagesLoft.htm

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of the information and reviews; they've been very helpful.

I'm still debating about bags, leaning towards one of the more protective sleeves with straps options, and I'm considering the Acme Made slim now that they've come out with a made-for-MacBook option. I emailed to ask about the grey and green colors (sadly no red for the MB), since they don't have photos up of those, and am awaiting a response. Pricey, but gorgeous, and I checked out the existing models in my local sony store and they seem very well made and protective.

http://www.acmemade.com/theslim.html

Should be added to the master list at any rate.

zebrafx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2006, 01:08 AM

Hi all, i was roaming around the web and came upon this post. I got a crumpler bag.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/home.php

I can't give a direct link it doesn't work right but the bag i got is under computer, and the one labeled "The Luncheon" I have a quick review, i posted it on flickr

Looks attractive on the outside next to my hot black macbook.

It has some nice pockets inside the bag. There is the zipper one in the flap, the sleeve part for the macbook, one man one in the bag, and one front ones with a zelcro pouch. It hard to see the front one because I didn't open it, but it is there.

As you can see it fits nice, it also fits my wife's 15 inch powerbook.

As you can see the bag has a protective sleeve built in. It is really thick and heavy. With the macbook in the bag there is still plenty of room to put a couple of books etc.

My wife liked it also so she got it in blue for her 15 inch powerbook and it fits nice also. It comes in third color olive.

Overall the build quaility is nice, I love the protective sleeve and comfortable strap pad. They didn't go cheap on the bag build. If anybody got questions let me know.

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 03:10 AM

I recieved my Vyper XS2 a little while back, and I have to admit, I'm not all that impressed. The pictures make the sleeve look like it protects more than it really is... I thought it would be very very good protection from shocks and the like, but it seems more like a sleeve to protect against scratches.

It works well enough as just a sleeve that protects against scratches, but I was looking for a little bit more protection than that.

For those that are wondering whether the zippers scratch the macbook, well, they *shouldn't*. The hard plastic extends down enough such that, if you push the zipper in (zipped), it shouldn't extend far enough to scratch the laptop. I don't have complete faith in it, but... it should be fine

I might change my mind and pick up a different sleeve... we shall see.

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2006, 08:00 AM

After reading through this thread, I suddenly felt like Joey from that "man bag" episode of Friends (I know, I know, my wife makes me watch it).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 24, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kaido
After reading through this thread, I suddenly felt like Joey from that "man bag" episode of Friends (I know, I know, my wife makes me watch it).
Did that happen on Seinfeld?

"Hello, what have we here?

masugu
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 05:53 PM

OK...this is getting a tad weird In a good way
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Hanko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 10:21 PM

Anyone have the Brenthaven MacBook Slim Shoulder Case?

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-macbook-slim.html

I'm looking for more than a slip case and this looks good. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and how do they like it. Would be great is we could get more pictures of this.

Thanks...Hank

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hanko
Anyone have the Brenthaven MacBook Slim Shoulder Case?

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-macbook-slim.html

I'm looking for more than a slip case and this looks good. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and how do they like it. Would be great is we could get more pictures of this.

Thanks...Hank
this case is over 5" thick! there is no way this case should be called "slim"

that's thick enough for 2 or 3 incase sleeves.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by fox-orian
Hey everyone, I thought I would stop by and give my two cents with my experience with the STM 13" Small Alley messenger-type bag.

I thought I would bring something new to the table -- What about Macbook AND Wacom Tablet mobility? Alot of artists need to bring their tablets with them, but where's a good stylish bag to carry both the macbook and tablet?

The STM Small Alley is the bag you'd need -- if you're looking for a somewhat non-professional non-boring non-black-leather executive type bag. This bag seems to appeal to the indie crowd [such as myself.]

In most cases, pictures speak louder than words, so...

*images snipped*
Wow that's a cool setup.

beamerxl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 04:32 PM

I'm thinking about getting the Waterfield Sleevecase. I'd be going with the barebones vertical, no flap. My only concern is that if I'm out in the rain, and my backpack fabric gets soaked, it will be in contact with the unprotected edge of my Macbook. We're not talking about a lot of moisture getting in (I can't imagine much wetter than wiping it down with a wet towel), so do you think it will be ok? I don't want to pay an extra $15 for a flap unless I absolutely have to.

I've heard great things about the Waterfield all around. It does offer a reasonable amount of shock protection too, doesn't it? Not just against scratches and such. I've been known to set my backpack down a bit hard at times...

For what it's worth, the other case I'm considering at the moment is the Shinza sleeve.
( Last edited by beamerxl; Jul 25, 2006 at 04:43 PM. )

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by beamerxl
I'm thinking about getting the Waterfield Sleevecase. I'd be going with the barebones vertical, no flap. My only concern is that if I'm out in the rain, and my backpack fabric gets soaked, it will be in contact with the unprotected edge of my Macbook. We're not talking about a lot of moisture getting in (I can't imagine much wetter than wiping it down with a wet towel), so do you think it will be ok? I don't want to pay an extra $15 for a flap unless I absolutely have to.

if you'd be interested in the horizontal version, i saw someone selling it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/13-Waterfield-De...QQcmdZViewItem

remember not to bid over what it costs retail.

(this isn't my auction)

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by beamerxl

I've heard great things about the Waterfield all around. It does offer a reasonable amount of shock protection too, doesn't it? Not just against scratches and such. I've been known to set my backpack down a bit hard at times...

For what it's worth, the other case I'm considering at the moment is the Shinza sleeve.
Not to make a flap about flaps, but they are well worth the small price. I have that sleeve, and the extra protection is beyond words, but it is a also a matter of taste.

The vertical design is good, but make sure ports side is facing up ( to avoid impact shock from setting the Book down suddenly or dropped)

davdav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 08:22 PM

Got my Booq Vyper today. Unfortunately my MacBook is getting massaged by Apple right now so I can't give you an in-depth review. Seems sturdy though =]

chrisroos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 11:55 AM

I ordered my Wrapper Macbook sleeve on the 3rd July. It was delivered on the 18th July. I ordered the customised wrapper but chose no customisation (i.e. no wording to be added to the sleeve). As such I thought it might be delivered a little quicker than the stated two week lead time, but never mind.

I exchanged quite a few emails with the wrappers folks during the two weeks, so felt comfortable that it was being made and would be delivered. I must admit I was slightly nervous when I noticed that they were using a tiscali email address but it seems I was worrying over nothing.

The sleeve itself fits the macbook perfectly, although, as it is only three sided, it leaves one end pretty exposed. It also seems to have picked up some fluff but maybe this is just noticeable due to it's very white colour.

I haven't tried washing it yet, although the instructions inform me that it is possible.

Actually, it might be useful to copy the content of the instruction here..

--- Instruction from sleeve ---
Outer fabric: rubberised cotton
Inner lining: 2oz wadding microfibre lining
After care: Warm machine was separately. Hold the bag open, shake down to realign lining. Put hands inside bag, stretch, dry flat. Iron gently under a cloth with warm iron.
--- /Instruction from sleeve ---

All in all, I'm happy with the sleeve. It was cheaper than some of the other offerings and comes from Oxford in the UK. Now, if only I hadn't been keeping my laptop in my rucksack with no cover prior to receiving this, maybe it wouldn't be scratched to buggery now. Ho hum.

Chris

banksey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 03:02 AM

Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum. I just found a laptop case here http://www.noreve.com/product/Housse...ook_13%22.html That really isn't too much my style but i thought some of you might like it. I was actually looking into the axio hardcase found on the first page. i was wondering if anyone has had anyluck with buying that and having it actually fit

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 11:45 PM

I emailed RadTech asking about my Rebound sleeve, which was supposed to have shipped on Friday. I got this response:

The Rebounds have been delayed from the manufacturer. STM hopes to have them to us around the second week of August. Sorry for the delay, we hope to get them out as soon as they arrive.
Needless to say, I'm pretty annoyed.

I did receive my InvisibleSHIELD from ShieldZone -- I got the standard one. It's pretty easy to apply the pieces that go on either side of the track pad and on the track pad, although you do have to stretch them a little to make them cover everything. Applying the piece that goes on the top is quite a hassle if you want to minimize air bubbles and, in my case, minimize the amount of cat hair caught underneath, but eventually I managed. To me, it's very much worth it to protect the top of my computer from scratches and to protect the handrest areas from getting weird stains (I have the white Macbook).
( Last edited by weissinator; Aug 1, 2006 at 08:01 AM. )

ROB2246
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:33 AM

Hi weissinator . I also am awaiting a case from Radtech a Neocase ship date is supposed to be 8-20. I noticed that they have back ordered the Rebound Sleeve until 8-28-06. I hope yours will ship sooner as it had been ordered already. I will wait patiently for my Neocase as I had one for my iBook.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 10:18 AM

I received my STM Alley bag (olive) like the one in the pictures above. I really like it. It has enough room for the laptop plus some papers or a small notebook. It's not something you could lug your schoolbooks around in, but if you just need your laptop plus some papery items, it's great. I managed to squeeze my iPod Video into the cell phone pouch on the strap, although I'd recommend having an invisibleSHIELD or something on it so it doesn't get scratched.

Three small annoyances:
1. Two-flap access to laptop - there's the big outer flap, then another, smaller flap over the laptop area. You have to pull up both to get to the laptop. Small price to pay for the extra padding/protection, I guess. I'd like to see the padding be on the outer flap at the top in the next iteration, rather than having two flaps.
2. Velcro fasteners - makes it fast and easy to pull up the flaps, but they're kinda loud if you're in a quiet library. Maybe magnets could be implemented in the next design.
3. Secondary sleeve area is not big enough to even hold one book - it could maybe hold a spiral-bound paper notebook, but there's no way any college textbook is fitting in that thing. I was hoping to be able to toss a textbook in along with my laptop, but I guess I'll be carrying it under my arm instead. If they could widen it by a couple inches, it'd be fabulous.

My wife hadn't seen the bag before, so when I showed it to her, she laughed and said, why do you have a man bag?

*pout*

okoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 11:43 AM

I've owned the Crumpler 'Roll-O-Notes' (14 inch model) for a few weeks now and I'd recommend it for daily use. It's big enough to carry your Macbook, transformer, a few cds, documents etc. but that's about it. Stick a jumper or light jacket in there and there isn't much room left for anything else.

The Macbook fits snuggly and is well protected. The bag seems generally well made and all straps and fastenings are strong and secure.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 03:25 PM

Just an update on my MacBook bag situation:

Sleeve: ~$40

I wanted a simple slip-case that I could toss my MacBook in when I just need to go somewhere with it and not carry anything else. Also, I wanted something I could put under my laptop on top of my legs if I didn't have a flat surface like a table to use it on (heat protection + non-slip surface). Foofshop is an Australian company that makes unique bags out of things like corduroy, tweed, and acrylic. I purchased a red corduroy sleeve and I absolutely love it. It looks great and is well-built. I expect it to last for the life of the laptop. The interior is made up of some kind of soft black material, so it won't scratch your laptop.

I use my Foofbag around the house, like when I'm surfing the net wirelessly on the couch, or just when I need to take it somewhere but don't want to cart around the power adapter, mouse, notebooks, or anything else. I'd say for the good quality and good looks, it's worth the price. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.foofshop.com/

Messenger bag: ~$50

I recently picked up an STM Alley bag (olive, MacBook size). It's a perfect fit for the laptop. It's basically a strapped version of the Foofbag with some extra pockets and a flap. It's made of stiffer material and has padding in it as well. Looking back, it probably wasn't the best purchase for me personally since it won't hold any of my books, but it's good for holding the MacBook, some papers or a small notebook, and various pens, phones, iPods, whatever. I'm happy with the build quality and design but it doesn't really meet my needs for school since I can't even fit a book in there. You can fit the power adapter and some other items in there, but they'll stick out somewhat since it's designed to be a "flat" bag.

There are three changes I'd like to see in the next version; perhaps I just need to look for a different bag. I wrote up a more detailed report a few posts above this one, but my qualms are (1) there should only be one flap instead of two flaps to access the laptop, (2) the latch mechanism should be magnetic or something instead of velcro, since it's loud in a quiet places like libraries, and (3) the second inner sleeve area should be big enough to hold at least one book. Even if it was made out of some kind of stretchy material like neoprene it'd be an improvement.

I will be using my STM Alley bag mainly for work - bringing in the laptop with my notebook and papers. I might end up selling it, but it's handy and convenient, so it has some use for now. They sell them in black and olive (kind of a dark camoflauge green). I chose to get the green one because it's easier to spot in the midst of other black laptop bags, plus it's just "different". Here's a link to the website:

http://www.standardtm.com.au/smallalley

You can buy them for a good price at RadTech:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Alley

Backpack: ~$70

My previous laptop was a 15.4" laptop that weighed about 8 pounds. I purchased an Ogio Metro backpack a year or so ago to lug it around along with my college textbooks. It's basically a well-made backpack with a special zippered sleeve on the back for sliding your laptop in. Works great, has lots of good padding, very comfortable to use, and can hold a lot of stuff.

I recently took this backpack along with my MacBook on an airplane trip with me. The side access sleeve makes it really nice to go through airport security, where they require you to put your laptop in a seperate bin when going through the x-ray and metal detector machines. It also worked well with my Foofbag. I simply unzipped the size and pulled it out, then slid the MacBook out of my Foofbag, and then laid it on top of the bag in the bin. No grimy stuff on my MacBook, yay! The Foofbag was also really nice to use on my lap and on the tray table in the airplane seat. Fast access = nice!

This backpack is a bit pricey but if you need one it's totally worth it. I went through 3 or 4 backpacks breaking before I settled on this one. The ones on the manufacturer's website are newer than the one I have and come in more colors. Mine is kind of a green-chocolate, kind of ugly actually, but it makes it stand out from other bags. Here's a link to the product page:

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=126

Here is a detailed review with lots of photos (scroll down):

http://www.ntwizards.net/2005/04/30/ogio-metro

In addition to bags, here are some other great products I'm currently using:

invisibleSHIELD: $55

Want a scratch-free laptop for life? invisibleSHIELD is your ticket. invisibleSHIELD is from ShieldZone, a company that makes a special heavy-duty type of Saran wrap (clear plastic wrap) for electronics devices. Think of it as scratch-proof tape. It has a sticky side that you get wet with their special spray juice and then you apply it to your MacBook. Sounds simple, but installation is tricky. They sell a few versions, such as a lid cover or a full body cover. I highly recommend buying the full body cover but not using the trackpad pieces (skip both the mouse button and the toucpad itself) since it reduces usability. It's somewhat difficult to apply the larger pieces but you can take your keys and scratch the material afterwards and it doesn't damage your laptop at all (yes, I've tried it!).

It comes in clear/transparent and will add some gloss to your laptop (especially if you have a matte black model). It's very expensive at $55, but it will keep your laptop scratch-free for life. Also, it doesn't leave a residue if you should choose to remove it, like if you want to sell it without the shield. Plus, it hides existing small scratches. My MacBook has various fine scratches all over it (like the iPods, if you've seen them), and it made them disappear. Here's the website:

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html

RadTech ScreenSavrz: $20

The ScreenSavrz is a big microfiber cloth designed to protect the screen from fingerprints, dust, and other grime on the keyboard and laptop when the lid is closed. It also doubles as a very effective screen cleaner - just use it as a wipe until your screen is smudge-free. There's another company that makes them, but they're like .8mm thick and I've heard that the lid doesn't close completely with them. RadTech's offering is .6mm thick and doesn't seem to have any problems with my MacBook. Also, I've heard that it's best to buy gray if you have a white MacBook (the black was getting messy on people's white MacBooks, although I think the stories I read about it were from the other brand, ShaggyMac or something).

I'll be the first to admit that at $20 this seems like a huge rip-off. However, I'm constantly getting my screen dirty with smudges and fingerprints and it's just easy to have a big microfiber cloth sitting there to clean it with. I don't know if it was worth the $20 I paid for it, but it does its job quite well. If you don't feel you need it, Staples sells a small 2-pack of blue microfiber cloths for like five bucks; I'd highly recommend picking them up. I keep my small cloths in plastic sandwich bags to prevent them from getting dirty. They are VERY effective and don't require any sort of liquid screen cleaning material.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavRz.aspx

In summary, I've spent well over $200 in laptop protection and carrying systems over the past few years. To me, it's money well spent. It ensures that my computer, which I've invested easily over $1,800 in, has excellent protection and that my body won't be hurting from strain. From a purely financial standpoint, it seems kind of ridiculous to pay over $30 or so for laptop protection of any kind, but my laptop will look as good as Day 1 for years to come and be safely protected during that time. I use my laptop for school, work, and personal use and I have a lot invested in it, so I feel that these purchases were a good buy.

banksey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 03:33 PM

Hey all. I just called axio and apparently they will be coming out with a macbook version of the hardsleeve some time in september. I'm excited.

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 01:13 AM

I just ordered a "EddieWouldGo" AppleSac for my Black MacBook. I'll do a review when it arrives. If for some reason, I don't like it, I'll replace it with a Foofbag.
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

Forum Links
Forum Rules