Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 9)
oiosnap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 03:26 PM

wow that crown messenger bag is the best one of seen
yeah, that crown bag is really somethin'. love the red!
Thanks! Crown had 3 different models of laptop bags and some normal messengers without the laptop compartment. At first I had settled on a simple, minimalistic black messenger bag without the comparment. I figured the foofbag would be enough, but after putting everything inside it was very bloated and tight. So I took it back and splurged on the newest model, the red one. I'm so glad I did!

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 02:44 PM

If you want one to carry the laptop, a few pens, and the charger alone, the Brenthaven Profile 12/15 is a great fit, is very light weight, and is suitable in a business environment.

mjmchase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 08:20 PM

Does anyone know if the Crumpler Roll O Note is available in the US? It is the one I am leaning toward but of course I cannot find any US stores online that carry it.

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:11 AM

Anyone know where i can get a Crumpler Little Pimp cheaper then the link below. this is the One back that Crumpler do that fits the MacBook perfectly however it is very expensive especially on my student budget.

We-Sell-Crumpler

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 03:01 PM

Hello!

I've been lurking for awhile now and following this thread with interest. I ordered a STM Rebound. When it was delayed, I picked up one of those Vaio neoprenes - a nice snug fit. Well, the Rebound arrived today and I can confirm what weissinator said:

Originally Posted by weissinator
if I push my Macbook all the way into a corner, there's about a finger's width extra on the side and the bottom. When zipped shut, this leads to extra space inside.
Interestingly enough, though, I'm keeping the Rebound. Why? Because there is just enough additional space to accomodate my MacBook and the Vaio sleeve!

While I'm sure this isn't an optimal solution for everyone, especially given the extra expense, the fit of the two sleeves together is very snug and I figure the additional protection of the Rebound's memory foam can't hurt, considering my substantial investment in the MacBook. And the ensemble fits perfectly into my Wenger Synergy backpack.

Size issues aside, the Rebound is quite attractive and very nicely made. The zippers high quality and the outer shell appears durable yet feels nice to the touch.

Will be interesting to see whether it does indeed shrink to a better fit for just the MacBook alone. I'll report back with any further developments.

Cheers, Dex

LSK6453
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2006, 03:28 PM

I got the Alley bag and I am very happy with it. Was very happy to get the Olive color one rather than the color on the apple website.

Quality bag!

airliner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 03:49 PM

I recently bought the Booq Folee XS, here are some pics:

Heres the bag closed with everything in it (except my camera), on the flap theres a small pocket. The size of the bag is really small, its a tiny bit bigger then the MacBook and has the depth of a cd... it looks quite small on your shoulder (like a camera bag), definitely not bulky

Flap with magnets (MacBook style ), here i keep my cds/dvds, my camera, some pens etc. It closes when you let it go, real pleasure to use

On the backside, if open both zippers you can put the bag on a trolley. With only the top zipper open it makes a good pocket for storing documents/magazines

Theres room for everything, bt mighty mouse, power adapter, airport express, remote, cables etc.

You can slide the MacBook out for 2/3 without it touching the ground, that's how snug it fits. Not too thight though, the MacBook slides out very smooth

There is plenty of room for a few books and magazines or tablet. Behind that theres a fishnet pocket with a zipper

Sidepockets for mobile phone or iPod with headphone pass-through (1 on each side). Between the sidepockets and the bag theres room for a water bottle or a rolled-up newspaper for example; As you see the MacBook fits really snug, a perfect fit really and very well protected by 1cm of foam on all sides

It's very comfortable to carry and very lightweight. Fabrics are of a very high quality as is the stitching. Shoulder strap is like a safetybelt and the shoulderpad is great and not bulky.
Overall this bag is superb... haven't seen a bag on this forum that even comes close.
The only downfall is it's price, i paid 153 euros including shipment... but i guess a crumpler costs the same

I recommend this bag to everyone

(BTW: 'Theres NO room for a sleeve!)
( Last edited by airliner; Aug 26, 2006 at 04:40 PM. )

palmspringsprof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 04:02 AM

To my way of thinking, there's little more important than spending good money on a case that not only protects your MacBook, but also is functional in the way it protects the MacBook and facilitates ease of use. I actually have two cases, two of the best, I think: The Brenthaven Profile 12/15 which I use when traveling and not needing frequent access to my MacBook. And Shaun Jackson Design's Lapdog, which is perfect when you need to use your MacBook on the fly. Both provide excellent protection for your Mac, are very well-designed, and an excellent value.

edoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 03:32 PM

So, my STM Rebound finally arrived. I'm not incredibly happy with the fit -- if I push my Macbook all the way into a corner, there's about a finger's width extra on the side and the bottom. When zipped shut, this leads to extra space inside. I emailed Radtech about it, and they said that it's supposed to fit that way but will shrink a little over the next couple weeks. Does anyone else have a polyurethane case (like the Rasfox one, maybe?) that has exhibited this shrinkage? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the case or give up on the polyurethane and just exchange it for a neoprene sleeve.

Thoughts?
So... i have been lurking as well and decided to get the Rebound since Shinza was taking their sweet time and doesn't mention a zipper flange to protect the notebooks within although i'm sure they do...

anyways... My Rebound came the other day and i was disappointed to discover that the inch of space was indeed present when the laptop was in the sleeve. I was very annoyed/disappointed but decided to keep it anyways.

I did some research on polyurethane and discovered it is used as an insulation material in houses and also as impact protection in nuclear containers. I found out that it is actually quite fireproof as well (just in case some of you are worried about that).

So i went on some building forums and found some dude asking if uncoated polyurethane would shrink in sunlight or at high temperatures. Someone familiar with material sciences replied and explained that many materials used for insulation shrink when in heat but polyurethane expands in heat. So if that was the case then it must shrink in cold.

After a few minutes, i decided to try to come up with a home solution... cause i'm a tinkerer of sorts and love to fix things on my own or come up with my own solutions. I wrapped my Rebound in the plastic bag it came in and tossed it in the freezer. After leaving it in there and forgetting about it for maybe 20-30 minutes i took it out and indeed it shrank to better fit my macbook. It used to have about an inch of space on an entire side when zipped up but now there is about half that space between my macbook and my cold Rebound. I'll post again to see if it re-expands after it warms up at room temp again...

i was SO DISAPPOINTED with STM after receiving the Rebound but now I'd recommend this product now. Or wait for a Shinza. I couldn't wait.
( Last edited by edoh; Aug 27, 2006 at 05:18 PM. )

edoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 04:02 PM

hmmm... I think it re-expands. i'll be trying to cold shrink it for the rest of the day... see if the material maybe has a memory. i'll post the results

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 04:08 PM

Yeah, my guess is that if it's just a response to temperature, it's not going to be a permanent solution. I'm considering asking Radtech to exchange it for the STM Glove -- does anyone have one and can you speak to how it fits?

tricha6
Aug 27, 2006, 08:59 PM

Airliner,

How much room does that bag have if all your are packing is a Macbook? Can you fit in a 2 inch text book and some lunch?

I really like Booq's stuff, but since its primarily mail order, I have no sense of the space there bags have.

Thanks.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 10:06 PM

So, I sent an email to Radtech asking if they still had some of the original Rebounds available -- the long delay was due to the originals being smaller than desired. Considering that what STM and Radtech think is the "correct" size leaves more space than I'd like, I'm interested to see if the originals are closer to my idea of a proper fit. John at Radtech responded within 2 hours -- on a Sunday, no less -- to say he was forwarding my question on to STM. Whatever else you say, you've got to give Radtech a lot of credit for their phenomenal customer service.

edoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 01:31 AM

hmmm, i threw it in the freezer for over 6 hrs. it shrunk like 10 percent and reexpanded about half that. it's smaller now and it's stayed smaller. it fits slightly better now... i'd say it's feels more like a half inch of space around the edges and top with the bottom lying flat against the sleeve as opposed to a full inch beforehand. even though there is a bit more room still... that zipper flange does take up i'd say almost a centimeter of space itselt.

it does fit better now after shrinking it slightly. i'm pretty solid sure that it's shrunk but anyone else try it too... tell me if i'm crazy. but i'm pretty damn sure mine fits better now... but i'm still interested to see what cust service has to say cause if i can still get a better fit, i'd like to!

bklam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 01:36 AM

Tumi makes something just like the crown bag. I know cause i have one. I just don't know what it's called.

Dorkington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 08:56 AM

I just ordered a foof bag, will probably be here in about two weeks. In the meantime I better not scratch my macbook. *whistles*

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by edoh
hmmm, i threw it in the freezer for over 6 hrs. it shrunk like 10 percent and reexpanded about half that. it's smaller now and it's stayed smaller.
I'm beginning to think they should have named it "Ziploc" instead of "Rebound"!

For now, I'm sticking with my sleeve-within-a-sleeve configuration using the Vaio as well, but I'm looking forward to reports on any further progress.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 06:11 PM

Anyone have a targus traditional notebook case just got mine at best buy for 40$.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

airliner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by tricha6
Airliner,

How much room does that bag have if all your are packing is a Macbook? Can you fit in a 2 inch text book and some lunch?

I really like Booq's stuff, but since its primarily mail order, I have no sense of the space there bags have.

Thanks.
Yeah, if all you are packing is the macbook, a 2 inch text book and some lunch would fit.
I don't know about their return policy, but i guess you should be able to return it if you are not content with the bag.

The fact that they only do mailorder, was a problem for me to. But they assured me the MacBook would fit very snug... and it did.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 01:38 PM

Well, I stuck my Rebound in the freezer for most of a day, and honestly I can't say I saw that much difference. The fit is still much looser than I'd like -- I mean, the whole idea of a sleeve instead of a bag is so that it doesn't take up much extra space and can be used inside an existing bag. When I have to stuff my rolled up KlearScreen microfiber cloth (about 3/4" to 1" diameter) around the edges in order to have a fit approaching what I want, it's just not going to work. I love how thin the MacBook is, but in the oversized Rebound you lose any of the benefits of its slimness.

The original (aka defective) size of the Rebound might have been what I wanted, but according to STM all the "defective" ones have been destroyed.

Soo...I think I am going to exchange it for the STM Glove, and give up on the whole polyurethane thing. Maybe when the ZeroShocks finally come out I'll consider it again. The Marware Sportfolio sleeves look nice, but since they're new there aren't any reviews out and it's impossible to know how well they fit, and I don't feel like being the guinea pig again. Plus, by just getting the Glove, I can keep interacting with RadTech, which simplifies things considerably.

ROB2246
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 04:10 PM

Well, I stuck my Rebound in the freezer for most of a day, and honestly I can't say I saw that much difference. The fit is still much looser than I'd like -- I mean, the whole idea of a sleeve instead of a bag is so that it doesn't take up much extra space and can be used inside an existing bag. When I have to stuff my rolled up KlearScreen microfiber cloth (about 3/4" to 1" diameter) around the edges in order to have a fit approaching what I want, it's just not going to work. I love how thin the MacBook is, but in the oversized Rebound you lose any of the benefits of its slimness.

The original (aka defective) size of the Rebound might have been what I wanted, but according to STM all the "defective" ones have been destroyed.

Soo...I think I am going to exchange it for the STM Glove, and give up on the whole polyurethane thing. Maybe when the ZeroShocks finally come out I'll consider it again. The Marware Sportfolio sleeves look nice, but since they're new there aren't any reviews out and it's impossible to know how well they fit, and I don't feel like being the guinea pig again. Plus, by just getting the Glove, I can keep interacting with RadTech, which simplifies things considerably.

Hi Weissinator Since you want to stay with Radtech did you check out the Neocase ?? The handles fold in so i can be used as a sleeve. I have one for my macbook and it fits perfectly.

Rob.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 05:28 PM

Now this is nice. I'd forget about a bag or a sleeve with this baby.

http://www.case-mate.net/
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 06:56 PM

I just got the STM Alley I love this bag so far. I will post a review in a few days.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ROB2246
Hi Weissinator Since you want to stay with Radtech did you check out the Neocase ?? The handles fold in so i can be used as a sleeve. I have one for my macbook and it fits perfectly.

Rob.
Yeah, I considered it, but even with the handles folded in I don't really like it having the velcro flap -- both in terms of looks and in terms of utility. Plus it makes it noisy if you're wanting to take your computer out of the sleeve in a silent library.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 08:25 PM

Just got my Acme Made Slim in gray and am loving it.

It does have some extra space, maybe an inch on both sides, but the way the case is constructed (the sides are very rigid and the inside has soft quilting and is completely from the zipper, which is also waterproofed on the outside) I don't see that as a problem. If anything, having a somewhat looser fit means I can also put some papers in with the MB if need be, especially since I'll probably be using the outer pocket for the charger, which does fit in there fine even if it bulges somewhat. I'm using the shoulder strap, and so far it's been comfortable to carry around like that.

As for looks, the gray nylon is actually very pretty in that it has a really nice sheen to it. While the bag is more "stylish" than many and thus is great for women like me, I think it still could be considered unisex, at least by the more metro-type men out there. The black one could be for sure. (If anyone wants pics, let me know and I'll try to get some up.)

catracho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

Hi,

I am looking for the STM 13" Small Alley, but I cant find it online (not in stock in radtech.us)

Another online store with stock?

renfield
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jesrae
Just got my Acme Made Slim in gray and am loving it.

It does have some extra space, maybe an inch on both sides, but the way the case is constructed (the sides are very rigid and the inside has soft quilting and is completely from the zipper, which is also waterproofed on the outside) I don't see that as a problem. If anything, having a somewhat looser fit means I can also put some papers in with the MB if need be, especially since I'll probably be using the outer pocket for the charger, which does fit in there fine even if it bulges somewhat. I'm using the shoulder strap, and so far it's been comfortable to carry around like that.

As for looks, the gray nylon is actually very pretty in that it has a really nice sheen to it. While the bag is more "stylish" than many and thus is great for women like me, I think it still could be considered unisex, at least by the more metro-type men out there. The black one could be for sure. (If anyone wants pics, let me know and I'll try to get some up.)
hi. could you post a photo of the black one? i'm male and might like it.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 05:14 PM

Okay, my STM Glove arrived from Radtech today. It has a nice tight fit -- I really don't understand why they didn't use this type of fit for the Rebound, but whatever. Radtech actually sent me the Glove BEFORE making me return the Rebound, so I currently have both...allowing comparison. Here are pics; you can see larger versions of these and there are a couple more at my flickr set.

STM Glove with Macbook inside:

Inside view:

Zipper flanging:

Macbook and Glove:

Glove and Rebound:

Yep, supposedly that's the size the Rebound is supposed to be. Obviously the Glove stretches a tiny bit when the Macbook is inside, while the Rebound doesn't, but still.

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 10:45 PM

It's truly bizarre the sizing of these Rebounds. According to the STM website, the dimensions of the Rebound should be as follows:

* DP-0424-1: 13" MacBook
(22.7 x 32.5 x 2.75 cm / 8.9 x 12.8 x 1.1 inches)
* DP-0421-1: 15" MacBook Pro
(24.3 x 35.7 x 2.59 cm / 9.6 x 14.1 x 1 inches)
* DP-0422-1: 17" MacBook Pro
(26.5 x 39.2 x 2.59 cm / 10.4 x 15.4 x 1 inches)
The exact same dimensions are given for the Glove.

I have just measured my Rebound and, curiously enough, its dimensions are none of the above, but rather, 26.5 x 35.7 x 2.75 cm / 10.4 x 14.1 x 1.1 inches.

It's quite obvious to me that STM simply got it entirely wrong and Radtech's shrinkage story is just plain jive.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by renfield
hi. could you post a photo of the black one? i'm male and might like it.
I have the gray one, so the only photo I can get of a black one is from the website:

Once I get my camera back from the person who's borrowing it, I'll post some pics of mine with my MB and other stuff in it, since I've found I can fit the charger and a relatively flat clutch among other things in pocket. Also, they carry the black one in non-MB sizes at the Sony stores and at some other places (they list retailers on the website, but I doubt any have the MB-sized ones in stock yet, and some just carry the designer fabrics), so if by chance you have one of those near you, you can check out the bag even if then you have to order the right size online.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
It's truly bizarre the sizing of these Rebounds. According to the STM website, the dimensions of the Rebound should be as follows:

The exact same dimensions are given for the Glove.

I have just measured my Rebound and, curiously enough, its dimensions are none of the above, but rather, 26.5 x 35.7 x 2.75 cm / 10.4 x 14.1 x 1.1 inches.

It's quite obvious to me that STM simply got it entirely wrong and Radtech's shrinkage story is just plain jive.
Yeah I said the same thing about the dimensions -- supposedly they'll be changing it on their website at some point. In the meantime, though, it's quite misleading...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2006, 11:16 PM

I just got the STM Alley and I am loving it. Although all my siblings think its dorky looking I think the bag is superb. I bought the bag in carbon and it is a nice light black color. There is a pocket in the flap which covers over the outside and that pocket is where I keep my mag-safe cord. When you open the big flap there is a small pocket without a zipper and I keep my headphones in it and there is space for the front row remote. There is another pocket above that which is fairLy big about half the size of a piece of normal paper and it is capable of holding a lot of accesories. Above is a small flap to protEct the laptop and other documents. There is a nice slot for your laptop which is well paded and then another slot which can hold magazines, papers and posisbly a small thin textbook. Lastly there is a pocket in the back of the bag with a zipper than can hold a texbook, magazine or papers. Overall this bag is stylish, well padded, well-priced and fun and deserves a A-.

HOWEVER, since this bag is currently delayed at shipping for 4-5 weeks it will recieve a temporairy grade as a B+.

mikeypas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 01:40 AM

Hey all! great thread, learned a lot about the various bag/sleeves out there.
just wanted your opinion.

What I'm looking for is a sleeve for 13" macbook, that has detachable shoulder straps.
I want it to be as thin as possible so I can stick it into my messenger bag that I already have
The only thing is , I'm wondering if any of the "thinner" sleeves, are able to accomodate the power supply? ie. in a separate pocket?

the bags I'm interested in are:

waterfields (sfbags.com) laptop sleeve (with flap and shoulder strap)
i suppose i would need the order the piggyback to fit in the power supply. $$$$

tombinh brain cell horizontal
looks good actually. $$ too, but i called and they said that the power supply could fit into the front pocket. can anyone confirm?

marware.com sportfolio 13"
this also looks nice, good price too. again though, can anyone confirm if the power supply can fit into the pocket?

Anyone have any other suggestions? there are a lot of ncie bags, crumpler for example, however, since i already have a messenger bag, i don't want to put another bag inside that bag. i just want a sleeve that i can sometimes carry on its own with a shoulder strap.

thanks!
mike

p.s. being in canada, anyone know if any of the above are available within canada? shipping is always a killer from the US ..

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mikeypas
What I'm looking for is a sleeve for 13" macbook, that has detachable shoulder straps.
I want it to be as thin as possible so I can stick it into my messenger bag that I already have
The only thing is , I'm wondering if any of the "thinner" sleeves, are able to accomodate the power supply? ie. in a separate pocket?

Anyone have any other suggestions?
How about these? 14 inch Laptop Carrier by Pinder
I was looking at them when shopping for basically the same sort of bag (I went with the Acme Made, which fits your requirements, but that's more expensive at about $100, so if the waterfield is looking pricey, it's probably not what you'd want). It seems like they only have the silver one in stock, but that's probably the one I'd buy. Inexpensive too ($29), and it says shipping to Canada is $10.

mikeypas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 07:56 PM

Thanks for your reply jesrae!
I looked at the ACME MADE bags, not really what I'm looking for. The link you provided me is actually pretty good as it has shoulder strap and extra pocket for power supply, however, all colors are sold out!

do you have any idea whether the other bags i mentioned
- marware sportfolio
- tom binh horizontal brain cell
- waterfield sleeve

can accomodate the power supply?

With shipping, the waterfield sleeve with flap and shoulder strap would be $86US
The tom binh would be $78US
and the marware would be $52US

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mikeypas
Thanks for your reply jesrae!
I looked at the ACME MADE bags, not really what I'm looking for. The link you provided me is actually pretty good as it has shoulder strap and extra pocket for power supply, however, all colors are sold out!

do you have any idea whether the other bags i mentioned
- marware sportfolio
- tom binh horizontal brain cell
- waterfield sleeve

can accomodate the power supply?

With shipping, the waterfield sleeve with flap and shoulder strap would be $86US
The tom binh would be $78US
and the marware would be $52US
The pinder site says the silver steel color in the small size is still available, but that may not be the one you'd want. Anyway, as for the others, the waterfield definitely can't unless you get the piggyback. It's meant to hug the laptop very snuggly and does, with no external pockets, hence the existence of the piggyback for people who want to be able to carry the power adapter etc. Personally, I've seen the waterfields, and while they seem nice, if you're going to have to add all of that to make it what you want, it gets overpriced imo. I don't know about the others, though it says on the Tom Bihn site that the brain cell has a mesh pocket for that stuff, and I'm going to assume they aren't making it up. I'm sure it's mentioned if you google reviews for it.

limbovski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 08:30 AM

I have a macbook 13.3" and need something that that will carry the mb, charger and othercables, maybe a mouse.
A large lunch box, light waterproof trousers and maybe a jumper/jacket and book/newspaper.

It has to be a backpack.

After looking at all these solutions for a week or so I reckon that maybe the best thing to do is buy a really good sleeve (e.g. the Vyper) and get any bag (doesn't need to be a laptop bag specifically) and custom line it with foam padding yourself? This way you get exactly the bag you wanted instead of being conformed to all these laptop bags which are in many cases way overpriced.

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by limbovski
I have a macbook 13.3" and need something that that will carry the mb, charger and othercables, maybe a mouse.
A large lunch box, light waterproof trousers and maybe a jumper/jacket and book/newspaper.

It has to be a backpack.
Look into the Wenger Synergy backpack.

Accomodates my MacBook (vertically, in sleeve) perfectly and has loads of room for all your other gear. I'm a music fiend and I needed something that could also haul lots of LPs as well as CDs. It's got pockets-galore for every conceivable usage from a water bottle to an umbrella. Plenty of padding in all the right places and very comfortable to wear. Dedicated iPod pocket up top with an outlet for your headphones. Good quality at a fair price (well worth the list price of $79.99, but I got mine at Circuit City a few months back for $49.99; check eBay as well). Easily the best all-purpose bag I've ever had.

JayMan8081
Sep 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

Anyone here that is using the Vaio sleeve, have you noticed that the corners of your MacBook are getting black discolorations on them?

Nuks
Sep 7, 2006, 11:53 AM

Alright, I've got it narrowed down to three sleeves, and I was wondering if you all could help me out.

1) Incase NeoPrene sleeve- 40 bucks canadian, and I can order it in one go with my macbook and mouse (it's the only one of 3 that's available from the apple store)

2) Tom Bihn Vertical softcell- 30 American (anyone know what the shipping rates to Canada are like?)

3) STM Glove- 29 American plus about 6 bucks to ship.

Can anyone who has these sleeves tell me what they think I should go with? Pros and Cons?

Also, neither of the sleeves have room for a powercord and mouse. I know the Bitolithics one will, but right now, they're not available. If I bought a bag (like the ones people use in school to hold pencils and stuff. Something like this for example, but bigger and not that colour!
http://202.181.237.125/1500/3704a.jpg
and then sewed foam in around the inside, do you think that would be functional as a accessories bag?)

Much thanks.

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 11:55 AM

I've got a Vaio sleeve and I haven't noticed any such discolorations, but then again, my MacBook is black to begin with!

Sorry, not terribly helpful for your situation. I hope you get it sorted.

Nuks
Sep 7, 2006, 12:12 PM

The vaio sleeve looks to be a great option. Did you order it online? If so, where from?
Also, do you know if you can get just an accessory bag? if I could get two, then I'd have one for cord, one for mouse...
Thanks.

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nuks
The vaio sleeve looks to be a great option. Did you order it online? If so, where from?
Also, do you know if you can get just an accessory bag? if I could get two, then I'd have one for cord, one for mouse...
Thanks.
Got mine from Abt Electronics. Nice price, quick service, free shipping.

Not sure whether the smaller accessory case is available separately, but you should be able to find something suitable just about anywhere.

JayMan8081
Sep 7, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nuks
Thanks.
I got mine from a Sony Style store after seeing that the Apple Store (B&M) didn't have any available options.

Nuks
Sep 7, 2006, 12:54 PM

Do you know if ABT ships outside of the States?

Dexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 01:22 PM

I don't think that Abt ship outside the States. In which case, your best bet is your local Sony retailer.

chrisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 04:14 AM

Does anyone have any pictures of someone wearing the Python.XM from Booq? I was wondering what the size is like when wearing it.

edoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 09:45 PM

i've traveled heavily the past 6 days with my STM rebound in my backpack and it's totally fine. The small amount of space i think is due to the flange being so thick, which i don't mind at all. The ability to have the laptop open while still in-case and still rimmed all around the edges by the flange is really nice in my opinion. The spare space seems to come from the flange being too tall and when it wraps around the macbook when the zipper is shut creates the extra space. However, when i put it in my backpack that space squeezes around the mackbook and the polyurethane protected my laptop from being crushed as my backpack was BURGEONING thus pushing all manner of objects into my macbook as it sat compressed between my back and my books/electronics.

even though the fit seems questionable this sleeve works GREAT. my friend didn't know my laptop was in my backpack and tossed my backpack on the floor about 3 feet away and was about 4 feet high. My comp was fine and i noticed many times that when i removed it from my bag there were imprints all over the polyurethane. If i had a neoprene during that particular trip i'm sure that i would have sandwiched my macbook between some objects and my back and busted something. Thas prolly me being careless but i'm glad that the rebound was up to the challenge. The small amount of space is still present but it doesn't bother me anymore. I fully believe i could drop this thing while in case and it be fine. I feel like in a neoprene case the macbook would feel impacts more both in and out of a backpack or other case. With my macbook in the rebound i felt fine slinging my backpack over and letting it slap into my back not caring about the macbook inside knowing that it'd be fine no matter how much i jostled or stuffed the bag. I'm very happy with my purchase even if the cosmetic aspect of it doesn't 100% satisfy me... but functionally i couldn't have asked for a better sleeve.

I'd like to see how the shinza one works out when it's released!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 09:54 PM

Does anybody have the King Crumpler?

mikeypas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 10:15 AM

Just picked up the Marware Sportfolio for 13" Macbook.
I love it. It's perfect and exactly what I wanted.
Unfortunately, my macbook only comes on the 12th, so.. ill post pics then!

It's almost as slim as the marware sleeve, with the addition of D-rings, and a very comfortable strap. There is a divider inside the bag, I suppose you would only be able to fit very thin folders in there, no room for a book. There are two outside pockets large enough for power cord etc..

The construction is very rugged. As opposed to the Tom Binh brain cell (which was my other choice), it is not a hard case, which is good so that it can act as a sleeve when you detach the shoulder straps

And it was only $35cdn at my campus computer store!

Forum Links
Forum Rules