Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 126)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Kid is teaching me Titanfall 2. Running on walls is both cool and tricky.
Yeah Titanfall 2 was cool. Got a kick out of running on walls, but your right, it's tricky. All about timing and jumping and double-jumping at the right time. And hitting the wall at the right angle. The time-travelling is even cooler.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2017, 11:34 AM

Just heard the news today, Kinect is dead. Apparently Microsoft has discontinued the Kinect.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...hone-x-face-id
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 11:41 AM

MSs Folly

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2017, 08:15 PM

Is anyone playing Pokémon go these days?
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD

P
Nov 13, 2017, 08:56 AM

Reddit is amusing itself by downvoting EA over a their response to a fan complaining about SW: Battlefront lootboxes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBat...ocked/dppum98/

This is supposedly some sort of record downvotes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 10:52 AM

Two things: The was blocks were 1/6 as expensive in review copies

AAA gaming approach to micro transactions seems to be to price it like it's a f2p game which is cancerous

P
Nov 13, 2017, 02:11 PM

The thing to understand about loot boxes and F2P is that the vast, vast majority of players never buy anything. There is a tiny minority, “whales”, that buy a lot and make this worth it. I am not at all convinced that there is the same number of whales in a skill-based, competitive game as there is in a mobile time waster. We will see.

I also wonder what Disney thinks about all this. They’re clearly devaluing the Star Wars license with their shenanigans.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Nov 15, 2017, 08:50 AM

Watching EA squirm is like watching a train wreck. It seems pretty clear that they had a plan from early on to cut the price of the top heroes by a lot to "make the outrage outdated", as the phrase goes, and when that didn't really work, they don't have any other moves. The pay-to-win is so poorly implemented, simply percentage boosts to different stats, that there is no defense for it, and the time limit on arcade mode makes it so obvious that they want to give people who buy loot boxes a big advantage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2017, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the gameplay mechanics to understand most of that

P
Nov 15, 2017, 02:45 PM

I haven’t played any of those games in a long time, but as I understand it, the basic idea is that the star cards can give bonuses to basic stats like weapon cooldown, weapons damage, health recharge delay, etc, in addition to unlocking powerful weapons, heroes and tanks. You can gain those cards by just racking up hours in the game, but you have to play online against others, as the arcade (offline) mode is limited in how long you can play it, a la Candy Crush.

The gambling aspect comes in in that you don’t know what you get in a loot box. You can get cards for a class you don’t even play as, and there is no way to trade them.

In all, the game forces you to play online and probably lose to people who have bought better equipment, heroes and bonuses, or buy those things yourself with real money.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is anyone playing Pokémon go these days?
I know people who are, but found my phone to be inadequate to keep trying.

I have heard that they are making a Potterverse version, and that would be fun.

Probability your post was a joke, 95%... but just in case... why not?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 12:56 PM

I can't wait for six years from now when people realize all these loot boxes are just gambling and the gaming companies lobby hard against it being properly regulated

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2017, 01:37 AM

EA pulls in-game purchases from Star Wars Battlefront 2. (For now)

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/...tal-purchases/

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 02:57 AM

Boy did they step in it

P
Nov 17, 2017, 04:54 AM

Scuttlebutt is that they get re-enabled after Christmas. EA's thinking is that they will let the FSP pros play now, wait until all the kids and general amateurs get the game at Christmas, watch them fail spectacularly against people who have played for a month and are better at the genre in the first place, and let them correct that by buying loot crates to catch up.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2017, 06:30 PM

Am I the only one annoyed that the Xbox One (X) requires internet and a MS account to do literally anything?

I get that the original One needed a day-1 patch to work but see no reason the One X (and PS4 Pro, I assume?) require internet to even allow you to set the things up, let alone an MS account for every single person who uses it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the always on future. Thats why a lot of people went PS4.

Bradisen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Today, 02:02 PM

You said it so well, P. It's a train wreck. The single player campaign sucks too. I know it's a MP game in essence, but still.

Forum Links
Forum Rules