Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Face Transplant Victim Revealed: Picture

Face Transplant Victim Revealed: Picture
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 04:24 PM

Well, here she is: The woman whose face was bitten off by her labrador retriever after she tried to commit suicide with sleeping pills and she fell on the floor and could not be roused. When her dog tried to rouse her and could not apparently he mauled her face. She, remember, got her new face because the donor, another woman, succeeded in committing suicide. This is the same woman who, as of late, has decided to resume smoking despite the fact that it will probably cause adverse complications. Link.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 04:36 PM

Weird. I wonder why her dog flipped out on her like that?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 04:38 PM

Looks better than the first wave of hair transplants. Could be very promising to burn victims in the near future.

The circumstances are, of course, ridiculous.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 04:43 PM

what did she look like before the transplant - shouldnt it have made her better looking???

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 04:44 PM

It always makes me feel uncomfortable to think of such surgeries. I am very weak in that aspect. I can hardly read the story. But I am happy to see that this might help people to get a life with a face, e.g. cancer patients.

But this raises the question how far a persons mind can accept that is not his/her face seen in the mirror.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2006, 04:45 PM

I don't think I could get used to looking in the mirror.

and HOLY FREAKING LABRADOR!!
ice

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
and HOLY FREAKING LABRADOR!!
Yes, imagine you wanted to kill youself and wake up with a torn away face, flesh and bones all over the place. This really creeps me out.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 05:28 PM

Sounds like a story line straight from the movies. Hanibal and Face Off! Yikes!!!

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 05:30 PM

Wow she is 2 kinds of ugly merged into one.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 05:36 PM

I assumed that the dog bit her face off while she was laying unconscious on the floor for a long period of time. Dogs frequently start to eat their dead owners because they get hungry after a while. I'm sure Cody can back me up on this, since she is both a dog afficionado, and a resident of S. Florida where lots of elderly people frequently die with dogs in their homes, only to be eaten up after fido starts getting hungry.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 05:42 PM

The real question is what would a cat do?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I assumed that the dog bit her face off while she was laying unconscious on the floor for a long period of time. Dogs frequently start to eat their dead owners because they get hungry after a while. I'm sure Cody can back me up on this, since she is both a dog afficionado, and a resident of S. Florida where lots of elderly people frequently die with dogs in their homes, only to be eaten up after fido starts getting hungry.
I thought this too, but then I thought that a dogs canine instincts would lead him to something more eatable, like the belly or legs.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2006, 05:49 PM

Dogs frequently start to eat their dead owners because they get hungry after a while.
hmm, that's funny
ice

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I thought this too, but then I thought that a dogs canine instincts would lead him to something more eatable, like the belly or legs.
Perhaps it was just licking the owner on the face to try to wake her and found out she tasted pretty good and went from there.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 05:53 PM

Who knows? It's a pretty strange situation. I guess the dog just goes for whatever looks the tastiest.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 06:05 PM

Cody, I really think you worry about this lady too much.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2006, 06:32 PM

Stalker.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 07:06 PM

She doesn't look too bad considering that wasn't the face she was born with.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 07:08 PM

I'm not dissing transplantation of someone's face to anothers faces... but good god, what about the psychological effects of that. Makes me think of the movie "face off"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2006, 07:13 PM

Uhm, no spatterson. This sort of face transplant is not at all like "face/off", but I'm guessing this is why this case has gotten so much attention. Your face is defined by the bone and muscle-structure underlying the skin. Transplanting someone elses face-skin to yourself would produce a face looking much more like your previous self than the donor "face".

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 07:18 PM

I know... its a good breakthrough in medical science. As for "faceoff", it just kinda made me think about the possibility of something like that. :-)

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 07:25 PM

Now that I've seen her I think it is a good thing that this was done. If that much of her face was just missing then she was a monstrosity.

for the procedure. She's kind of brave for allowing herself to be the case test.

She shouldn't have tried to kill herself in the first place, then none of this would have happened, but it did and she took a negative situation and it's turned into a positive one if it will help others.

Still, the psychological effects of wearing a dead person's face, another woman's face who died, is quite daunting. I don't know if I could go through with it for that reason.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 07:27 PM

I wonder if she still has the dog?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 07:37 PM

Who knows? It's a pretty strange situation. I guess the dog just goes for whatever looks the tastiest.
http://hct.slipshine.net/?comic=23

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 07:46 PM

Naughty, naughty, Godfather!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 08:08 PM

I guess that dog is not sleeping in her bed anymore.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 09:04 PM

I wonder if she still has the dog?
Could you imagine going to sleep with the dog in the same room? It'd have ta be pretty frickin' weird. I don't think I could handle it.

I feel sorry for anyone who is that depressed. Then to have to deal with life AGAIN, only this time even worse. I just can't believe the level of desperation she must be going through.

Good thing Edgar Allen Poe isn't alive today.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 09:15 PM

I'd beat the s*** out of that dog... forget sleeping in my bed, I'd have it shot it it messed up my face.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 12:41 AM

Dad?

/got nothing
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Start chewing on her finger, and turn her into a PVC wearing superhero...
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 30, 2006, 10:20 AM

Haha, watch out before "you know who" gets mad at everyone for talking about cats in a face transplant thread!!

I've said it before, and I stand by it, this lady's doctors are idiots! If this woman wasn't psychologically screwed up enough before, she will definately be now!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 10:25 AM

LOL

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 10:25 AM

That's why I don't like dogs. Cats just scratch the living heck out of you, but that's it...

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 10:28 AM

My hope is that all will turn out well for her. Such a traumatic and psychological thing to deal with.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
That's why I don't like dogs. Cats just scratch the living heck out of you, but that's it...

-t
Logical.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2006, 12:24 PM

just... weird. I wonder if the scars will fade at all so you can't see them--right now it's obvious.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 12:48 PM

personally i dinnae blame the dog. after all, the selfish bitch tried to kill herself with her dog shut inside the house with her - effectively condemming the dog to starve to death. she could at least have let fido out or taken him to the local dog's home before she started popping the sleeping pills.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 03:06 PM

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 03:41 PM

cats and dogs have been known to start eating various body parts of their dead owners. cats usually head for the toes/fingers...dogs go for the face.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
cats and dogs have been known to start eating various body parts of their dead owners. cats usually head for the toes/fingers...dogs go for the face.
mmm... tastes like chicken!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 05:35 PM

Brings a new meaning to "stuffing your face" and "finger foods," eh?

FINISH WHAT'S ON YOUR PLATE! THERE'RE STARVING DOGS IN AFRICA!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 05:37 PM

Why do dogs go for the face? Does it begin with some sort of affection ritual? Just curious.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 06:04 PM

Why do dogs go for the face? Does it begin with some sort of affection ritual? Just curious.

that is how i viewed. most dogs lick the owners face as a greeting/wake them up/etc (yes, i know cats are known to do that too but it is more of a dog thing). once the owner dies, and the dog needs to go out to pee/etc or eat, the lick is to get their attention. it doesn't work. over a period of time trying to get their attention, the skin becomes raw and the meat, if you will, can take over their hunger urge and well...there you go...dinner.

cats, while some times do the face lick for attention, gets most of their effection with the stroking from the hands and constant touching. okay, we all know cats that can't be touched...but this is the general rule, not snobbish POd cats (i've had two like that...damn things ). so that is the area they go to try and get attention.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 08:21 PM

that is how i viewed. most dogs lick the owners face as a greeting/wake them up/etc (yes, i know cats are known to do that too but it is more of a dog thing). once the owner dies, and the dog needs to go out to pee/etc or eat, the lick is to get their attention. it doesn't work. over a period of time trying to get their attention, the skin becomes raw and the meat, if you will, can take over their hunger urge and well...there you go...dinner.

cats, while some times do the face lick for attention, gets most of their effection with the stroking from the hands and constant touching. okay, we all know cats that can't be touched...but this is the general rule, not snobbish POd cats (i've had two like that...damn things ). so that is the area they go to try and get attention.
Umm, not to be offensive or anything, but how exactly did you develop this knowledge of animal >human eating practices? Have you got a lab somewhere with a bunch of dead people and various hungry animals and you study the practice? This information is just . . . creepy.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 08:30 PM

What would my cats do (when I had cats around)?

First they would lay in the sun all day, on or around my body depending on if it was in their light.

Then they would spend several hours cleaning themselves.

Then they would sleep for about 12 hours, followed by about 10 minutes of going crazy, and another 12 hours of sleeping.

Eventually they would get hungry and eat my body.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2006, 01:47 AM

What's really sad is that, after all she's been through, she's once again chosen to slowly kill herself, by taking up smoking again.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
What's really sad is that, after all she's been through, she's once again chosen to slowly kill herself, by taking up smoking again.
Not this again.

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 05:41 AM

[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Umm, not to be offensive or anything, but how exactly did you develop this knowledge of animal >human eating practices? Have you got a lab somewhere with a bunch of dead people and various hungry animals and you study the practice? This information is just . . . creepy.

Yes, of course. Duh.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Not this again.
I know; it's hard to face reality. Smoking kills. That's a fact. She's been offered what the vast majority of people are never offered; a second chance at life. She's chosen to take up an act which undeniably is harmful to her body. She's already tried to kill herself once. Apparently she's not done trying.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules