Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Shower is F'd Up and I need Help

My Shower is F'd Up and I need Help
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 01:35 AM

So we were getting the baby ready for her bath and went to turn off the cold and the hot water, and the cold turned off fine, but turning the hot water knob had no effect on the flow of the hot water. I got out a wrench and started to twist as hard as I could with no effect.

So I banged on the front of the knob and a silver cover popped off to reveal a phillips head screw which I detached. At that point then I could completely remove the knob from the metal valve underneath. See Photo.

Then I completely stripped the rest of the valve. Taking a wrench to the naked valve, I turned it completely to the right, having no affect on the water. At this point the only way to turn off the water is to turn off the entire house's water supply. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the hot water to turn off for the shower?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 01:45 AM

i think you have to turn off the houses water entirely, then give it a few minutes to relax and turn it back on, see if it stopped. even if that dont work though, i think you have to get new seats (i think thats what they're called) installed in the knob assembly thing. we had that done at our house last spring when we had a similar problem.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2006, 03:15 AM

LOL! You hosed your shower
You need a new fixture. Home Depot will hook you.

leehotti
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 04:02 AM

Heh. This is amusing right now. Sorry not to be more help. But I'd try a fix it website.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2006, 04:36 PM

I can't tell from the photos, but it could be as simple as needing to relace the seal or oring in the valve. If you had it completely shut (righty tighty, lefty loosey), and you still had water flow, your valve was not sealing.

If you're not the handy adventurous type, call a plumber. If not, the parts can be found at any good hardware store.
macforray

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 07:15 PM

You could just turn off the water coming from your water heater...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf
LOL! You hosed your shower
You need a new fixture. Home Depot will hook you.
He need to study the do-it-yourself manual for this. Probably he will need to break some more wall too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules