Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight usage poll

View Poll Results: Was the iSight worth the money you spent?
Poll Options:
Yes, I use it to teleconference for business only. Great communication tool. 0 votes (0%)
Yes, I use it to for friends, family and business. It's wonderful. 8 votes (47.06%)
Yes, I got to see some titties. 2 votes (11.76%)
Yes, I got to see some wang. 0 votes (0%)
It's gathering dust, but is a fine piece of industrial design. 8 votes (47.06%)
Yes, I've made true friends through iChat 0 votes (0%)
Complete, utter waste of my hard-earned cash. Thank goodness for Ebay and Craigslist. 0 votes (0%)
It's a waste of time doing video chat, but I still love it to pass time. 2 votes (11.76%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
iSight usage poll
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 04:40 PM

I was reading the "is iSight worth it" thread, and checked to see if this poll existed...

I used to own an iSight, I bought it for the novelty value at that time, but it was kind of pointless to have one since I only talked to my friend down the street. It only worsened after my friend exclaimed, "dude, I can see into your nostrils, place the camera higher!!!" at some point.

And the lowest low was when, instead of nubile young females flashing boobies at me, I ended up getting hit on by some aggressive flaming homosexual who wanted to share anal sex stories. *shakes head in disbelief*
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
And the lowest low was when, instead of nubile young females flashing boobies at me, I ended up getting hit on by some aggressive flaming homosexual who wanted to share anal sex stories. *shakes head in disbelief*
Mine's just gathering dust... I get to show it off sometimes when a peecee user comes by the house... that's all

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 07:49 PM

I don't use mine too often, just with my parents (who aren't online too often). But, my sister decided to get an ibook when they're updated, so it looks like I'll be using it more soon.

Flash2000
Apr 30, 2005, 09:59 PM

I am starting to use it more, my gf has one now, and so do a few of my friends, I know of a few more who are getting them. Seems like the idea is really taking off now.
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 02:35 PM

I think the reason that Video chat is not as common (and thus use of the iSight) is because the user experience on a PC is not nearly as good, the vast majority of users do not have cameras as good as the iSight, and many users still do not have the necessary connection speed for this application. So that limits the user base for video chat. But, I don't think it's merely a novelty any more. I think it will only grow and become more common place as time passes. Just give it a few years.

I used the iSight when I was away from home to talk to my folks. I talk to friends I've met on the 'net from Japan, Spain and Switzerland, among other places. This is going to be a very practical and common application for most people given a few years. We're just, as usual, ahead of the game. ;-)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 05:36 PM

I live out of state, so I bought my parents one so they could video chat with us and the kids (ok, its mainly so they can see the grandkids... don't think they care if they see me or not ).

My wife has one on her iMac, and uses it periodically to chat with one of her pals back in Michigan.

And when I'm out of town at a meeting/business trip, I take the cam off my G5 and drop it in my laptop bag so I can see her while I'm gone.

Or, if I'm feeling really lazy, I'll ring my wife up while she's on her iMac (from my G5 in the other room). "Sweetie... bring me a drink [smiles big!]."

Forum Links
Forum Rules