Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Problem with Sound Sticks...

Problem with Sound Sticks...
kupan787
Senior User
Jun 14, 2005, 11:21 PM

I just recently started having issues with my SoundSticks. For some reason the sound sounds like it is muted and underwater (for lack of a better descriptor). When this first happened, I tried switching the USB connector to the other USB port on the back of my mac. It fixed the problem, and the sound was normal once again. However, a few weeks later, I am back to my muted underwater sound. I don't know what triggered it (an application, or what). I have tried switching USB ports again, no luck. I tried restarting multiple times, and even creating a new user, with no luck. I just tried plugging them into my PC, and they work fine.

So I don't know what the problem is. The only other USB device I have hooked up is a KVM switch (I think that is what it is called). But they have co-existed for at least a year with no issues. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 06:29 AM

Wow, I could think of several things, but those possibilities all but vanish when I consider how they "used to work" for over a year...

Have you e-mailed H/K Support? Try going into your Sound settings and make sure Output is selected to go out the USB port to the SoundSticks. I *have* heard of users Macs "forgetting" to send the sound through the USB port, thus causing odd/no sound. Good luck!

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 09:20 AM

If switching usb ports has fixed the issue in the past, i'd suspect the driver might be having issues. Do the soundsticks have downloadable drivers or are they supported directly through os x? If they can be downloaded, you might want to try installing them again. By any chance did this start happening after you upgraded or installed tiger?
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
If switching usb ports has fixed the issue in the past, i'd suspect the driver might be having issues. Do the soundsticks have downloadable drivers or are they supported directly through os x? If they can be downloaded, you might want to try installing them again. By any chance did this start happening after you upgraded or installed tiger?
I don't think there are drivers that I can download (at least I don't ever remember downloading them in the past when I first bought them).

As far as the upgrade to Tiger, no thats not it. I got Tiger right around the time of its release (maybe a week or two after), and they have been fine up until 3 weeks ago. SO I don't think Tiger has anything to do with it.

P
Jun 16, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'd GUESS, and it's a pretty wild shot, that some other driver is interferring with the USB sound driver. Tiger changed a lot of the internal kernel interfaces that the drivers use. Try uninstalling any kexts and third-party drivers and see if that helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules