Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Xserve Question

Xserve Question
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 07:02 AM

Did Steve Jobs mention the Xserve with his speech regarding the migration to Intel.

It seems to me that after touting the superiority of the G5, this is going to hurt their fledgling server niche.

I don't know based on remarks (if he made any) if Apple is dedicated to the server market or will exit it after moving to intel. The server playing field is rather crowded and it will be tough to break into it after shifting gears like they did.

Mike

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 08:02 AM

He didn't mention any specific models, just that 'Apple is transitioning to Intel'.
Why would Apple abandon the xserve line because they're switching to Intel?

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 11:31 AM

With the push into OS X Server I'd expect that we'll see intel xserves. No reason to think they're getting out of the server business.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 01:57 PM

Not only will the Xserve move to Intel but this is the right thing to do and is superior to what Apple would have had before.

By the time Apple ships Powermacs and Xserves based on Intel processors they'll be privvy to

the Xeon "Woodcrest" chips which will have 4MB of cache and consume about 65-80 watts for a Dual Core chip.

Apple could even think about Intanium as well if they desired. Also by 2007 Intel's Xeon platform will be using some nice hardware with the Common Systems Interface(CSI) which is like hypertransport and the motherboards will support network acceleration via Intel's I/O AT (Input/Output Acceleration Technology) this reduces latency and cpu utilization by a 3rd.

Now we just need more apps for OS X Server
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules