Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > WebObjects Now Free???

WebObjects Now Free???
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Macintouch.com
Apple announced that its WebObjects 5.3 is now included free with the Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.4 Server developer tools.
Great! So where do I download it?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 12:39 PM

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I tried that prior to posting but didn't see it. I must be a real doofus.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:36 PM

OK. Sorry. I was too hasty with that post. You have to:

1. Go to http://developer.apple.com
2. Log in
3. Go to Downloads > Developer Tools
4. Get Xcode Tools 2.1

WebObjects is included with Xcode Tools now.

Chris

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 06:42 PM

Notice that this is the development version... not the deployment license. Things are a little wonkey with the deployment license, so at the moment the only way of getting that is to have a copy of MacOS X Server (any version, including the one bundled with XServes). I expect a new stand-alone license to be available sometime in the future.

But at the moment, if you develop on the Mac already, your price just went down $100 from $699 to $599 (10 Client license... but unlimited WebObjects).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 08:48 PM

As larkost said, it's only a development license, not the real thing. I don't know if WebObjects does anything to enforce this, but there are other development environments which do, and so it's not impossible for WO to do the same.

Anyone brave enough to try and tell us how it goes?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 11:05 AM

Interesting. I'm pretty happy just using PHP for my websites, but I might be persuaded to at least try WebObjects if, for example, it provides easier integration with Filemaker Pro than PHP. That aspect could be compelling for me.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 07:32 PM

WebObjects is a high-end development environment. It does not really integrate with FileMaker.

GeeYouEye
Jun 23, 2005, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by larkost
WebObjects is a high-end development environment. It does not really integrate with FileMaker.
Yeah that's about right, though I think I've heard of a FileMaker plugin for EOF. I could be wrong on that though. But WebObjects, and especially Enterprise Objects Framework (EOF) is awesome. (actually, for a plain web application, WO isn't much more than a highly dynamic HTML pre-processor and session manager. But one that is light-years ahead of PHP, and anything else out there, except perhaps Rails, which it's only a million miles ahead of .)

Now if only I could use Objective-C instead of Java for WO without using 4.5.1 ... At least I can figure out what I'm doing in the business end of things with an EOModeler/Objective-C hack... one of these days I'll get around to trying to get an EOF/Cocoa/Objective-C app to work...
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by larkost
By "integrate with Filemaker" I mean only that it can use Filemaker as a datasource.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by GeeYouEye
Now if only I could use Objective-C instead of Java for WO without using 4.5.1 ... At least I can figure out what I'm doing in the business end of things with an EOModeler/Objective-C hack... one of these days I'll get around to trying to get an EOF/Cocoa/Objective-C app to work...
I'm not sure how GNUStepWeb works with OSX, but it may be worth investigating.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 02:37 PM

I've been using WO since 1998 and it's been a pleasure to use. Quickest way to a web-app from scratch that I can find. And I really wish they'd bring back obj-c to WO as well. Though, for the server side stuff (and non-mac deployments) Java works well.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

insha
Senior User
Jun 30, 2005, 07:04 PM

My question on WO is that can I use it to develop site written in PHP? Also, if I do develop using WO will it cost me an arm and a leg (and them some) to host these web application (small to mid-size)?

flanders
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 02:49 PM

You could use WO to rewrite the site that's already in PHP--but if you already have the site working or just want to do a new site using PHP then WO is not the answer for you. As for hosting, do you mean having it hosted by a web hosting company? I'm not sure how much it costs to host a WO app from a hosting service.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by insha
My question on WO is that can I use it to develop site written in PHP? Also, if I do develop using WO will it cost me an arm and a leg (and them some) to host these web application (small to mid-size)?
Do a google search for hosting with something like tomcat. I am pretty sure Webobjects can be deployed on tomcat.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules