Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" PBook Issues?

New 17" PBook Issues?
lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 12:23 PM

I think i might give in to get a powerbook 17".

I have read a lot of threads with regards to issues specific to 15 inch and not as much has been covered with regards to the 17". (A good sign)

At the moment, as far as I could gather, the new 17" screen issues are
1) dark bottom corners at both edge of the screen
2) light bar along the bottom horizontal side of the screen
3) Poor viewing angle (Compare to previous 17" or new 15" screen?)

I know that 17" might not be as popular as 15" and this might be the reason for the lack of discussion. I hope that those who has a new 17" powerbook could give us more into the insight of how widespread these issues are and if there are any other issues that you have encountered.

Drop us a too if you are completedly satisfied with your new baby

I am also looking for a bag for 17". Let us know what bag you got to pamper your 17" too if possible.

Thanks in advance
( Last edited by lafiamma; Nov 9, 2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: elaborate my question a bit more)

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by lafiamma
I think i might give in to get a powerbook 17".

I have read a lot of threads with regards to issues specific to 15 inch and not as much has been covered with regards to the 17". (A good sign)

At the moment, as far as I could gather, the new 17" screen issues are
1) dark bottom corners at both edge of the screen
2) light bar along the bottom horizontal side of the screen
3) Poor viewing angle

I know that 17" might not be as popular as 15" and this might be the reason for the lack of discussion. I hope that those who has a new 17" powerbook could give us more into the insight of how widespread these issues are and if there are any other issues that you have encountered.

Drop us a too if you are completedly satisfied with your new baby

I am also looking for a bag for 17". Let us know what bag you got to pamper your 17" too if possible.

Thanks in advance
I am having all of the issues you mention. Apple is replacing mine with a new 15".

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

DylanG
Nov 8, 2005, 01:18 PM

If I put up a solid color image I can see some unevenness in the backlighting. During my normal use (and I suspect the normal use of most people) it's unnoticable. If you are doing precise color work then you may find it to be a problem. It's a non-issue for me.

It is sensitive to vertical viewing angle - more so then my previous rev 15". But so what? It has a hinge so I can adjust the angle for my seating position. Again, a non-issue for me but maybe important to someone doing precise color work.

Are you the type who searches for flaws and obsesses over them to the point of unhappiness? Or do you look at how you use the machine in the real world, accept that everything has tradeoffs and make a choice about which tradeoffs are important? For me, higher resolution and a screen that is perfect for 99% of what I do is a worthy tradeoff for some uneven backlighting.

As for a bag, I'm using the STM backpack from www.radtech.com. I'm happy with it.

deuce868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 01:29 PM

Same here. The corners of my screen are generall reserved for non color sensitive items like IM, shortcuts, etc so it doesn't effect my work at all.

The viewing angle is specific, but again that's why you adjust it. At work I use a stand so I don't have to adjust it much although I admit to adjusting it frequently when using it on my lap for an extended period of time as I move around.

Not sure what the lightbar is on the bottom. It's not something I've noticed.

As for a pack I have a targus backpack I used when I had my Thinkpad that my PB fits in fine.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 01:42 PM

i have the brightness at the bottom of my monitor.
when i first got the powerbook i looked for dead pixels and saw the brightness. i shrugged and then carried on using the powerbook. i don't notice the brightness anymore.

the viewing angle, like everyone mentioned, is dependant on how i am using my powerbook. there is a very comfortable monitor angle depending on how i am sitting.

i am so thrilled with mine.

i have this backpack with my powerbook in this sleeve.

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 03:12 PM

I'm on my third new 17 right now:

the 1st one had a bum screen--not like you guys are mentioning but obvious other issues like way to dark and really poor alignment. Also, the right shift key was not attached to the keyboard all the way and the lid would not close properly.

the 2nd one had a great screen but two keys popped off the keyboard and wouldn't go back on, also firewire would only work when first booted up and not after it was on for a while.

the 3rd one seems good but my S key is sticking and my D key looks like it might be a little off but everything else seems good.

as for the bag? well I have a rather large collection of bags that i've been trying out and so far none have worked very well for the 17 (as an aside they would all work well for the 15). i've just ordered the timbuk2 laptop zip case with sleeve so i'll report back when i get that in and try it out.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

lafiamma  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
I'm on my third new 17 right now:

the 1st one had a bum screen--not like you guys are mentioning but obvious other issues like way to dark and really poor alignment. Also, the right shift key was not attached to the keyboard all the way and the lid would not close properly.

the 2nd one had a great screen but two keys popped off the keyboard and wouldn't go back on, also firewire would only work when first booted up and not after it was on for a while.

the 3rd one seems good but my S key is sticking and my D key looks like it might be a little off but everything else seems good.

says a lot about the QA of apple.

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 10:09 AM

Yes it does...and i've had powerbooks since the original G3 wallstreet. This last batch of 17's is the worst i've seen to date.

lafiamma  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Yes it does...and i've had powerbooks since the original G3 wallstreet. This last batch of 17's is the worst i've seen to date.
Are you hanging on to your third one or waiting for 4th replacement?

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 01:29 PM

Right now i'm hanging on to the third. I figure that if it can make it out of the 14-day return period i'll just have Apple look at it under warranty if something goes wrong. It's sad to say but I'm really just tired of setting up a new powerbook each week.

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 04:18 PM

I agree with Dylan - I am thrilled with mine - I do notice the viewing angle does change (more than others) but nothing I am frustrated by. I love mine (4th Powerbook for me)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Forum Links
Forum Rules