Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which display is better? 15 vs 17

Which display is better? 15 vs 17
HelloNateR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 01:40 AM

I'm debating between the 15" and 17" for my new PB purchase. I had a Rev A 17" and LOVED it, but the computer was a bit large to carry around, size-wise, from time to time.

The idea of having the resolution of a 20" ACD on my lap is also very enticing for all of my tool palettes.

Any feedback here?

I'm selling my Dual 2.3 GHz G5 to buy the new PB. Sounds crazy, I know...but despite having the faster machine, I'm less productive because I loose all the mobile work time. So, the PB is my "desktop replacement" machine...performance is key.

I do have a Dell 2405FPW display, though, which I intend to keep and use when I'm at my desk.

The 15" is more portable, but the 15" display issues have me a little nervous about downsizing to the 15" though. Also, I've heard that the 17" display is also brighter.

What do you think?
( Last edited by HelloNateR; Nov 11, 2005 at 08:46 AM. )

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 10:44 AM

I think you have made up your mind on the 15" but it is the horizontal line issue that prevent you from getting one. But I have to agree that the 17" with the same 20" ACD resolution is great. Especially if you need extra space for palettes and stuff. You would never get enough of them. Having said that the new 15" with the new resolution is tempting. The new 15" resolution wise made it an even better machine with regards to usability and portability aspects but performance wise might not be that attractive.

And since you are using it as your main machine. I guess you have to ask yourself how often you carry your powerbook around and would there be an inner voice reminding you that you should have gone with the other choice.

I think the horizontal line issue would be resolved eventually, maybe wait for a week to see how it turns out.

Also just for your info. I compared the new 15" and 17" at an apple center today and both looks great. Other than the horizontal line issue, and according to my eyes, I think the 15" is slightly brighter even after setting both to max brightness and also the 15" display have more contrast than the 17". Though this might be tweaked using the color calibration. I compared the pink flower wallpaper and 17" display looks just a little bit flat when compared to the 15". I think the proclaimed almost 50% increase in brightness for the 17" is compared against the previous 17" and not against 15". I might be wrong but it just seemed that way to my eyes.

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 12:06 PM

I just did the same thing (went from a dual 2.0+20" to a new powerbook) and although i was set to get a new 15 i found that the added screen real estate on the 17 was enough to make the switch. I really don't find the 17 to be much more bulky than the 15 while carrying around either. One other thing that I do like but only really appreciated after I bought the 17 was that it's slightly thinner than the 15 and that makes using the keyboard on the laptop much more comfortable over the course of a day.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

HelloNateR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 10:29 AM

Does the horizontal line issue affect both the 15" and the 17"?

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 10:56 AM

Just the 15", the 17 does have other issues but not that extensively discussed though and maybe not that significant

Forum Links
Forum Rules