Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.2 is out

10.5.2 is out (Page 2)
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
No, you don't need a firmware update to copy files to an AirDisk, but the Airport Base Station does NOT verify that a write was successful. In other words, it passes the data to be written to the USB hard drive, but doesn't check to make sure it actually got written or that it got written correctly.

This is fine for manual copies, as the user can verify that the copy was successful, but for something like Time Machine, which is "set it and forget it," it's a potential critical problem. What if something happens and the Time Machine backup is screwed up somehow? And you don't find out about it until you need it later, and then you're screwed.

A firmware update would be needed to solve this problem. You can turn on the Time Machine backup to AirDisk right now with a "defaults write" command (hidden preference), but it's unreliable.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

More evidence that TM backups to AirDisk may be coming: Time Capsule hasn't shipped yet, which would mean the firmware update would come out for older Airports.
Signature depreciated.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 07:05 PM

Installed and I get a PC "missyprade" showing up in Shared computers. Catch is, I have no other computers. Those closest one is upstairs that is my landladies adult kids computer and it's on a separate Internet connection (Shaw same as me). That's my only guess that it's that computer. came back even after a restart.

Edit: Well it's now vanished (should have got a screenshot rats).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
What do you mean by 'fixed'?
list view!

(Some other options as well..)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 07:14 PM

The Time Machine menu item has a very cool animation when TM is backing up. The arrow rotates counterclockwise while the clock hands also rotate counterclockwise but at a much slower speed.
Vandelay Industries

nickhos38
Feb 11, 2008, 07:20 PM

Well already it seems that the claim of improved Airport reliability and stability is actual.

Over the past few weeks, I've been having a problem with my MBP not (automatically) connecting to my Airport (Extreme) wireless network upon startup. Not sure what started the problem, but the update seems to have fixed it.

Also..

New stacks is awesome. (One less app needed - sorry Hierarchal.)

New menubar is awesome. (Another app not needed - sorry Leo.)

I can also appreciate the Time Machine menubar option. (One less item needed in the dock.)

Not sure if it was caused by the update, but Safari has been acting up since updating to 10.5.2 (e.g. had to switch to Firefox to check bank account).

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by nickhos38 View Post
Well already it seems that the claim of improved Airport reliability and stability is actual.

Over the past few weeks, I've been having a problem with my MBP not (automatically) connecting to my Airport (Extreme) wireless network upon startup. Not sure what started the problem, but the update seems to have fixed it.

Also..

New stacks is awesome. (One less app needed - sorry Hierarchal.)

New menubar is awesome. (Another app not needed - sorry Leo.)

I can also appreciate the Time Machine menubar option. (One less item needed in the dock.)

Not sure if it was caused by the update, but Safari has been acting up since updating to 10.5.2 (e.g. had to switch to Firefox to check bank account).
Safari is fine here, maybe reinstall it?
Signature depreciated.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 07:50 PM

I may have missed it in the thread, but the Combo Updater is now available; I read somewhere that it wasn't on the support website yet.

Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac OS X 10.5.2 Combo Update

Downloading now...341 MB

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 08:35 PM

Downloaded combo update from Apple and installed. After two automated reboots I installed the graphics update via software update and am happy to report smooth sailing thus far...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 08:48 PM

Mail still has a bug where dragging a file on the dock icon causes 2 new windows to open.

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 08:59 PM

Hm, damn. Downloaded it, and when the blue screen came up, I got a “This update cannot be installed” sort of thing, with no indication of what might be wrong.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 09:16 PM

I see security options still suck. Thought they were going to address this since alot of folks were screaming about this.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 09:18 PM

You mean firewall options?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 09:28 PM

Where is the option to change menubar transparency? I see nothing in the desktop/screensaver pane.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You mean firewall options?
Thats what I meant. Anyone know if little snitch works in leopard?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 09:36 PM

nm...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2008, 10:09 PM

A couple of problems to note, interesting especially since I've never really had any problems with interim OS X updates before...

1. InDesign CS3 5.0.2 freezes on startup after updating to 10.5.2: the splash screen freezes on "Starting up panels..." and the icon stops bouncing in the Dock, requiring a force quit.

2. Clicking on a "stack" in my dock set to open in either Fan or Grid mode causes the Dock to freeze, requiring me to kill the dock process. The stack works fine with the new list mode selected.
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Mail still has a bug where dragging a file on the dock icon causes 2 new windows to open.
Not here.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peabo View Post
Where is the option to change menubar transparency? I see nothing in the desktop/screensaver pane.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:30 PM

giggs11:

Where did you get that "baseball laying in the grass" image from? Me likey.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post
That option isn't there in my desktop pane...
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:45 PM

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
giggs11:

Where did you get that "baseball laying in the grass" image from? Me likey.
mandolux« (that particular one is called "Schilling")

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post
mandolux« (that particular one is called "Schilling")
Much appreciated.

I am going to re-name it "Henderson" though....

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by btober View Post
1. InDesign CS3 5.0.2 freezes on startup after updating to 10.5.2: the splash screen freezes on "Starting up panels..." and the icon stops bouncing in the Dock, requiring a force quit.
Just read in another forum that the inability to launch any CS3 apps is due to the use of Linotype Font Explorer. Is this the likely cause for you? If you stop running LFE, it apparently enables you to use the CS3 apps again.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2008, 10:57 PM

That option isn't there in my desktop pane...
Me neither. And for some reason it took me longer to install 10.5.2 then it did to originally install Leopard.

mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

anyone finding that their mbp is super sensitive to ambient light after the update? (if i put my hand anywhere near either speaker, the screen dims significantly and noticeably...) It's a bit annoying... was the "automatically adjust screen brightness to ambient light" option a default before this update? or has it been turned on now?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 10:59 PM

Also, LFE apparently causes the Dock to hang in 10.5.2

Leopard 10.5.2 update not compatible with Linotype FontExplorer X | creativebits

mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 11:05 PM

er... nevermind, i think the second update fixed that hahaha... still wonder why some people got a 300+ meg update, while others got a 180ish meg update... those who had the 300 meg update, did you have to install the second graphics update? For the record: MBP 2.4gig got the 180 meg update.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 11:10 PM

The combo update is 340 MB, while the Intel-only update is 180 MB.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Just read in another forum that the inability to launch any CS3 apps is due to the use of Linotype Font Explorer. Is this the likely cause for you? If you stop running LFE, it apparently enables you to use the CS3 apps again.
Sure enough, that's it! Thanks! Hopefully Apple and/or Linotype gets this taken care of quickly!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Ah, I see now. It should be in the Appearance pane.
I agree but I also agree with their reason for putting it in Desktop pane. Apple originally planned to add it in Appearance pane but after reviewing it was more appropriate to put in Desktop pane as not everyone want to turn off transparency permanently, they would prefer to have an option to quickly turn off translucent for specific wallpapers. Also technically, menubar is now part of desktop.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by btober View Post
Sure enough, that's it! Thanks! Hopefully Apple and/or Linotype gets this taken care of quickly!
Linotype.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Linotype.
I am seriously starting to dislike their lack of updates. They still aren't fully compatible with CS3 and they have never released an update for Leopard.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 11:46 PM

Much appreciated.

I am going to re-name it "Henderson" though....

After Joe Henderson, the great tenor saxophonist?

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 11:58 PM

Noted this problem in the Office 2008 thread, but thought I might cross-reference it here.

After installing 10.5.2 this evening, I can't seem to get Office 2008 applications to load. The product splash pops up, and then it'll just hang there with a spinning beach ball until I'm forced to force quit it because the application's not responding. I've tried Word, Excel, and Powerpoint -- all seem to have the same problem. I was able to get a new Word document to pop up through the Project Gallery, but the menu bar and tool windows do not pop up and I can't do anything with the new document. Same issue again -- spinning beach ball.

I'm on a dual-3.0Ghz Mac Pro with 5GB RAM, so I doubt it's because my computer's not fast enough. And I didn't have this problem loading Office 2008 prior to the update.

Anyone else have this problem?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 12:19 AM

Office 2008 loads here, albeit slow.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Yes, it's not here on mine. I even installed the patch again and it's nowhere to be found:

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 12:46 AM

What Mac is this on? Old Macs don't support the transparent menu bar so it likely wouldn't be presented as an option.
Vandelay Industries

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 12:47 AM

Disc Utility still drags wen repairing permissions. The estimated time is still "less than 1 minute," but it's a hell of a minute.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
What Mac is this on? Old Macs don't support the transparent menu bar so it likely wouldn't be presented as an option.
An 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro. Not exactly old!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 AM

Don't repair your permissions unless you suspect you have a permissions related problem. Duh.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 12:55 AM

Yes, it's not here on mine. I even installed the patch again and it's nowhere to be found:
Your graphics card is probably too old to support the translucent menu bar.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 12:59 AM

See above, Tetenal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 01:02 AM

An 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro. Not exactly old!
Did you mod the OS before v10.5.2 to make your menu bar transparent by chance?

You aren't the only one having this issue Peabo....

10.5.2 Translucent Menu Bar Issue? - Mac Forums

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 01:03 AM

Did you mod the OS before v10.5.2 to make your menu bar transparent by chance?
No, I made no modifications to anything

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Your graphics card is probably too old to support the translucent menu bar.
It's a Radeon x1900

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 01:06 AM

No, I made no modifications to anything
You are the lucky winner of a "known issue" it appears now with Apple...see my link above...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 01:26 AM

So now we can look forward to 10.5.3. There is still a lot of stuff that didn't make it into 10.5.2. No QuickLook for WebArchives, no large icons for all Safari documents, no large icons for disk images, no large icons for Automator documents, still impossible to rename files while Finder is building preview icons, Calculator still default to US dollar to Australian dollar every time you open it, nothing changed on the resolution independence matter etc. pp.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 01:27 AM

No Safari 3.1
No AirDisk

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 01:30 AM

You are the lucky winner of a "known issue" it appears now with Apple...see my link above...

To clarify, I have an ATI x1900 driving 2 23" ACDs and an nVidia 7300 driving a 12" Cintiq
The machine is a 2007 Mac Pro 8-core 3.0GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules