Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help! Fix Kernal Panic

Help! Fix Kernal Panic
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 07:50 PM

I got home today from work and discovered the greyed-out screen with message to restart mac. I rebooted a few times and within a minute of rebooting it froze up again.

I recently upgraded to 10.5.1 - a few days ago. It is a Mac pro and I have a sonnet external sata enclosure.

I can't do much with it because it freezes up so quickly.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2008, 07:57 PM

Do you have anything else connected apart from the monitor, keyboard & mouse and the external SATA enclosure? If so, what are they?

If you disconnect the SATA enclosure, do the kernel panics stop? Have you added any third party RAM recently? Do the problems go away if you remove this?

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 08:08 PM

I have 2 cinema displays, external sata, printer, airport (n), CF card reader,

No new RAM

I tried booting from the install disc but no luck. I see that there is 10.5.2 but it is not on long enough to down load.

I'll start unhooking everything and see what happens. Assuming I can unmount my external drives.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2008, 08:13 PM

Well the easiest way would just be to turn the machine off and pull all of the cables out apart from the essentials (keyboard, mouse, monitor & power).
( Last edited by seanc; Mar 15, 2008 at 08:27 AM. )

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 08:28 PM

Ok, just realized I already upted to 10.5.2

I rebooted, unmounted the external drive and unhooked the external sata. Waited. No crash. I played some more, reconnected the sata enclosure and the computer froze. So now I'm unhooking everthing else and will repeat that.

New seagate 7200.11 1TB drive.

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 09:15 PM

It is either the hard drive, the external enclosure or the sata PCI card. Everything is fine until I power up the external enclosure with drive. Last time it didn't freeze but disc utility started searching for drive info after I powered up the drive and it never came out of it or displayed any drive info. I turned the enclosure off and had to reboot. I'm guessing that the enclosure is probably not the problem, seeing as its just a box. So do PCI cards ever go bad? Time to call seagate and swap out the drive. I wish I had another to test in the enclosure. I don't want to risk my internal drives.

I'm concerned that it is not the drive though because I had a drive go corrupt a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what the problem was but I can no longer mount or access files.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2008, 08:29 AM

It sounds more likely that it's going to be the SATA card or the enclosure. Did you build the external enclosure yourself or did you buy the entire thing from Seagate?

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2008, 12:53 PM

The enclosure is a sonnet fusion 4-drive enclosure and the card is a sonnet 4-port sata card, PCIe.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2008, 02:45 PM

I assume you have a RAID of 4 x 250GB drives to make 1TB? If it's just 1 x 1TB drive, put it inside the Mac Pro (if you have space) and see if it works alright.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
The enclosure is a sonnet fusion 4-drive enclosure and the card is a sonnet 4-port sata card, PCIe.
Have you checked Sonnet's site for driver/firmware updates for the PCIe card.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules