Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS

iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS (Page 2)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Weren't the buttons always metal anyway?
Nope, the volume buttons and vibrate on/off button was always plastic.

Well this is just great. AT&T has turned into a real Debbie Downer.

Electronista | AT&T increases data price for iPhone 3G

"The executive points to the BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices, which also receive similar pricing for unlimited data; without third-party apps, the iPhone is said to have been a more limited device."

The article doesn't say if tethering is allow under these new data plans.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Peabo
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 06:44 PM

Is it possible to pre-order one? I can't find an option on any of the suggested sites to do so.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Why? Seriously? Think before you post.
You should take your own advice fanboi.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

"The executive points to the BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices, which also receive similar pricing for unlimited data; without third-party apps, the iPhone is said to have been a more limited device."

Ugh, the plan was already overpriced. Looks less and less like I'm getting one of these. Nice piece of hardware though.

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Uh, because a 16GB iPhone is now cheaper than an 8GB iTouch?
I guess the idea is that you don't need to also sign up for a $1400(*) contract for the latter though.

(*rough calculation in my head)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 07:13 PM

Nope, the volume buttons and vibrate on/off button was always plastic.

Original iPhone owners are grandfathered in.

My guess is no on tethering - but just a guess.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 07:14 PM

My phone is on it's deathbed and I already have At&t. I really want to re-up for another two years and snatch the 8GB iPhone. Problem is I don't have USB 2.0.....will it work with regular USB?

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 9, 2008, 07:24 PM

I think this is an all around great upgrade. I will definatley be getting the white one as well, but I wish it would have had a white face. Maybe they'll eventually have an all white one, or may even a red one.

The only thing I'm missing is the wireless music sync. The mobile me is great, but I'd really like for my music to sync when I have my phone close to the computer. The only time I use my dock is to sync, so why not just utilize the BT or WiFi to sync with a computer? I bet they're holding onto that for a future upgrade.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My phone is on it's deathbed and I already have At&t. I really want to re-up for another two years and snatch the 8GB iPhone. Problem is I don't have USB 2.0.....will it work with regular USB?
It probably will function with USB 1.1 or lower. However its max velocity is 1.5 MB per sec (theoretically) so it will take you something like 2 hours to fill 8 GBs through that.

Data rate goes down to about 300-400kB per sec on USB, so it might take longer even.

So, you'll be able to 'use' it, it will be 'functional'.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
The only thing I'm missing is the wireless music sync. The mobile me is great, but I'd really like for my music to sync when I have my phone close to the computer. The only time I use my dock is to sync, so why not just utilize the BT or WiFi to sync with a computer? I bet they're holding onto that for a future upgrade.
I dunno you can potentially have it sync 16 gigs worth of movie or music and even over Wifi it won't be as fast as USB 2. Even then it isn't worth all the battery eating for me which is why even the Zune needs it plugged into an AC adapter before it syncs. If you are able to plug it into an outlet i don't think a USB cable is any worse.

Bluetooth sync is slow with bad range so no real reason to use over USB.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

*orders window mount*
Sweet.

I already have a car GPS though, that announces all the streets and when to turn, etc.

Why you getting the iPhone in white Eug? That seems like the girl model to me.
Probably for the same reason I have a white MacBook, pink iPod shuffle, and baby blue iPod mini. I like the grrl models of these toys.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Sweet.

I already have a car GPS though, that announces all the streets and when to turn, etc.
This is TomTom software running on an iPhone. It will work exactly like your car GPS.

I'm glad I never got one.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 08:04 PM

Probably for the same reason I have a white MacBook, pink iPod shuffle, and baby blue iPod mini. I like the grrl models of iPod toys.
Ya I guess. The thing that bothers me about the white iPhone is because of the shape and the colour it looks like a bar of soap when you hold it to your ear.

eTron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 08:09 PM

Where is MMS, A2DP Stereo Bluetooth, Notes syncing, Todo List app w/ syncing, flash support (yeah yeah), more landscape keyboard support, wireless music sync (over wifi?)... A BETTER F**KING CAMERA!! WTF!! Still 2mp? At least make it 3...

I am guessing they probably have the majority of these things in the works via the app store or firmware updates. Gonna be upset having to pay for some features the phone should come with.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You got a PowerMac G4, right? Why haven't you added a cheap USB 2.0 card yet?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 08:17 PM

This is TomTom software running on an iPhone. It will work exactly like your car GPS.

I'm glad I never got one.
I wonder if it will though. Specifically:

1) Speed and consistency of acquisition. <-- This is key. I have an outboard antenna.
2) Street name announcements & voice instructions for when to turn etc. <-- Lower end GPS models don't support this, but I suspect the TomTom software will.
3) Ample volume, to overcome highway noise. <-- Not a problem on the iPod if you plug it into the stereo system, but I won't have mine set up that way. I have my Garmin's nuvi volume at max (which is quite loud) and it's just enough.

And of course, cost. I wonder how much TomTom will charge. $99? Then you have to buy the mount and a charger too.

I figure if the TomTom software is good enough, perhaps I'll get that for the car, and put the other one in my GF's car, but I want to see how well it is implemented first.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by eTron View Post
Where is MMS, A2DP Stereo Bluetooth, Notes syncing, Todo List app w/ syncing, flash support (yeah yeah), more landscape keyboard support, wireless music sync (over wifi?)... A BETTER F**KING CAMERA!! WTF!! Still 2mp? At least make it 3...

I am guessing they probably have the majority of these things in the works via the app store or firmware updates. Gonna be upset having to pay for some features the phone should come with.
These features, copy-cut-paste, and voice dialing seem like no brainers on a high-end phone like this. Apple always falls just short. They deliver amazing new features but always seem to leave out basic features.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R View Post
These features, copy-cut-paste, and voice dialing seem like no brainers on a high-end phone like this. Apple always falls just short. They deliver amazing new features but always seem to leave out basic features.
...and it seems they often come out with a new device that, a short time later, they add features and functionality to. Maybe firmware v1.1 or 1.2 will add some of these.

For what it's worth, with this new price and better feature set, I'm thinking of taking the plunge...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2008, 08:41 PM

Why no 32Gb version? Seems like a no brainer
That is my only qualm (well actually I'd like a 64gb version, and would be more than willing to pay for it).

wrambro
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
What leads me to believe that you can just buy 'em for $199 is that they don't put an asterisk or a note on the price itself. Every other cell phone does that...
Actually, they do.

Apple - iPhone

There are actually 2 of them before you even have to scroll down the page.

I still find it concerning.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 09:10 PM

They didn't earlier today. Anyway, this gives me hope:
Originally Posted by Apple
Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.
Emphasis mine.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 09:13 PM

And then I read this:
iPhone 3G Pricing and Activation Details: $30 Unlimited Data, Activated In Store Only

So when will we find out the price for those of us already under contract?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 09:39 PM

And then I read this:
iPhone 3G Pricing and Activation Details: $30 Unlimited Data, Activated In Store Only

So when will we find out the price for those of us already under contract?
Same price as far as I know but you get out of your current contract and get to sign 2 more years.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I guess the idea is that you don't need to also sign up for a $1400(*) contract for the latter though.

(*rough calculation in my head)
Bingo!!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 10:01 PM

You got a PowerMac G4, right? Why haven't you added a cheap USB 2.0 card yet?
Haven't had the need yet, my iPod still uses firewire (which I love) but I just found a few cheap (20$) USB 2.0 PCI cards so who knows, I think I might have to take a trip to my local AT&T store soon . $199 is a very enticing price and I'm plenty happy with the AT&T service in this area.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 10:24 PM

Sweet.

I've yet to see a handheld GPS that works with the same accuracy as a build in model. My in car GPS works five stories down an underground parking garage, fo' real, most handheld models I've seen lose connection when you cross under a bridge.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 10:38 PM

Tidbits from engadget:

It's a teensy bit thicker. 4.5 by 2.4 by 0.48 inches (115.5 by 62.1 by 12.3 mm), and weighs 4.7 ounces (133 grams).
Radios galore: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), UMTS / HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
A SIM ejector comes in the box, at last.
There's no dock included, just a USB power adapter and dock connector.
No mention has been made of MMS, video recording or built-in iChat. What gives, Apple?
On the chatting front, developers will be able to ping a centralized push server with their apps, to keep down battery usage and app overload on phones.
On AT&T unlimited iPhone 3G data plans for consumers will be available for $30 a month, on top of voice plans starting at $39.99 a month. Unlimited 3G data for business users will be $45 a month, on top of voice. There's a minimum two-year agreement, but we're not positive what that'll look like for those currently enslaved to an AT&T contract -- you could be looking at a solid four years of time if you just took the plunge.
Apple's new MobileMe service will be coming with the iPhone 2.0 software, bringing push email and contacts for all.
Apple's official page is here, and you can watch the new ad here.
Available on July 11th in: Australia, Austria, Belgium (French), Belgium (Dutch), Canada (English), Canada (French), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (French), Switzerland (German), UK, USA
The rest of these are slated to get the phone this year: Argentina, Botswana, Brazil, Cameroon, C. African Republic, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Greece, Honduras, Hungary, India, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macau, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Niger, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Senegal, Singapore, Qatar, Slovakia, South Africa, Turkey, Uruguay.
Yes, it's on the FCC.
We did a quick data test -- at our location we went from 104Kbps on the EDGE iPhone to 215Kbps on the 3G model. 2x ain't bad, yo.
The enable/disable 3G setting is real, and buried a few menus deep. There is no automatic switching, Apple just assumes you'll leave 3G on, and that the iPhone has the juice to support that usage.
It's tri-band 3G, as we reported the other day. This same phone will ship worldwide.
WiFi is still 802.11b/g, no support for n yet.
Yes, that GPS is A-GPS, just as we mentioned.
Geotagging photos is a thumbs-up. We were deep indoors though, so native GPS wasn't working and we couldn't get a clear idea of satellite acquisition time.
The screen looks exactly the same -- maybe a tiny bit brighter, but the unit was new, so it'd be negligible.
The camera is identical to the first -- 2 megapixels. No front-facing camera (of course).
It's certainly thicker feeling, but they rocked it Treo-style and really tapered those edges, so it just doesn't feel that different. But because of that curved back, it'll dance around on your table a little more than your completely-flat original iPhone.
The plastic back didn't feel too cheap. In fact, it felt pretty solid. It's very glossy, so it'll pick up fingerprints just as well as the glass up front (yay).
It comes with a ridiculously, absurdly small power adapter. It basically looks like a tiny square with a USB port on one side, and power prongs on the other. It will power any other iDevice (iPod touch, 1st gen iPhone, etc.), and sell separately for those that want a smaller adapter.
The dock (now sold separately) and adapter (if you want an extra) will both go for something like $29, although that price is not yet confirmed.
No mention was made of copy/paste, MMS, etc.
It doesn't look like this thing is going to fit in your old dock. The new dock does look smaller and more sculpted to the new iPhone's curves.
The headphone jack is flush, as mentioned. It's still 3.5mm, so if you don't like the out of box phones (which won't stay in our ears), bring your own, no problem -- and no adapter needed!
Yes, original iPhones are totally gone, you won't be seeing those made anymore. Long live the aluminum back!
It looks like they took an amazing device and made it significantly better. If the battery life is as good as they claim, we think this will steamroll the competition in the enterprise space. And even if it doesn't, at $199 it's going to be extremely hard for people to resist.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I've yet to see a handheld GPS that works with the same accuracy as a build in model. My in car GPS works five stories down an underground parking garage, fo' real, most handheld models I've seen lose connection when you cross under a bridge.
Hmmm... That's one powerful GPS. Which one? Cuz my Garmin nüvi 350 won't work like that, even with its flip-out antenna, but it's significantly better than my GF's wristwatch GPS obviously.

So, I'm predicting that this new iPhone 3G won't replace my car GPS just, but it should be excellent as an outdoor walk-around unit. We'll, it's a bit too big to compete with a wristwatch GPS for jogging, but it will be better in most other ways because I personally take a phone with me everywhere else I go. (My car GPS is great for my car, but I don't take it out of the car 99% of the time.)

However, I'm not even 100% sure I'll get it, because of my prediction of a $99 price tag for the TomTom software.

P.S. I'm really itchin' to make use of Address Book and iCal syncing with the iPhone 3G. Syncing with my SE K790a isn't ideal.

P.P.S. Somebody made a comment that the iPhone will be able to output PowerPoint/Keynote presentations. Maybe, but the quality will suck, no? It's limited to 480i/576i. I wonder why 480p/576p isn't supported either like the older iPod models.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
Why couldn't they make one at least 30gb? I'd like to replace my phone and iPod. My 30gb iPod is almost full. Guess I'll have to wait or suck it up and manage my music, photos, videos better, and apps too.
Because, until you can crack the 16 GB open, you have absolutely no idea if it's using a single 32 GB chip or two 16 GB chips. Two chips take up space, more space than what's available, I would think.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 11:54 PM

Can Bluetooth A2DP be added through software? Or is it something that requires extra hardware?

It's a bit of a shame that the iPhone doesn't support it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Bingo!!
Of course, I already have and need a mobile phone, so I'm gonna pay those data charges anyways. So a new iTouch is still a lot more expensive than just an iPhone, still with only half the GBs.

The iTouch will come down in price. Apple is gonna make a killing with the AppStore.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 02:04 AM

Can Bluetooth A2DP be added through software? Or is it something that requires extra hardware?

It's a bit of a shame that the iPhone doesn't support it.
Software. And apple hinted today that it is coming.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 04:01 AM

So in reality the iPhone 3G has about the same thickness in the middle. Apple's specs say the difference is 0.7mm. But it is a whole lot thinner towards the egdes. Kind of like the MBA.

That's supposedly an iPhone 3G injection mold.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 10, 2008 at 04:12 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 04:53 AM

1) Speed and consistency of acquisition. <-- This is key. I have an outboard antenna.
It's A-GPS. Should be very fast and accurate.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 05:49 AM

How so? $20 a month got you slow EDGE speeds, and now $30 a month gets you unlimited and much faster 3G speeds. You know, creating a 3G network cost AT&T some money that they hope to recoup. I don't think $30 a month for unlimited 3G data--for email, for maps, for web surfing, for stock quotes, for downloading music and apps, etc. is so unreasonable.

Have you looked at Verizon's 3G rates lately? They make AT&T's look like a bargain.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 06:18 AM

Hmmm... That's one powerful GPS. Which one? Cuz my Garmin nüvi 350 won't work like that, even with its flip-out antenna, but it's significantly better than my GF's wristwatch GPS obviously.
No idea. I drive a Maxda CX7 and it came build in, with the car. It's extremely powerful unit. I could not believe it the first time I drove into the garage (I park underneath the Met Hotel for work) and it kept on working.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2008, 07:34 AM

Fast and accurate GPS depends on the antenna getting a tiny signal AND how the calculation algorithms are implemented. Accuracy is enhanced, especially for "when to turn" instructions, when you're moving at least at some minimum speed. The first (military) GPS receivers required a minimum velocity of almost 10 MPH before they could give you bearing, speed or track. This is because the receiver has to be able to tell the difference between signal variations due to interfering structures and weather and signal variations due to distance. You also need to get signals from enough different satellites in enough different parts of the sky, something that's hard to do in a built-up area.

So getting a decent signal level (the HIGHEST transmit power level on the satellites is 50W, and they're at least 11,000 miles away), getting enough different, decent signals, and having a well-implemented tracking algorithm are all keys to accuracy.

I'll be very interested to see how the new iPhone does in these areas...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
No idea. I drive a Maxda CX7 and it came build in, with the car. It's extremely powerful unit. I could not believe it the first time I drove into the garage (I park underneath the Met Hotel for work) and it kept on working.
I though some sat navs had inertial sensors so they could continue to extrapolate your position should gps link up be lost. If so that should pose no problem it the iphone with its movement sensors.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
I though some sat navs had inertial sensors so they could continue to extrapolate your position should gps link up be lost. If so that should pose no problem it the iphone with its movement sensors.
My '03 Prius does the same thing; in a parking garage or tunnel, the GPS signal indicator disappears due to lack of signal but the map still shows my position and heading until I get back in the clear.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 10:49 AM

AT&T: All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.

IPhone 3G: AT&T Memo to Retail Managers Shows iPhone 3G Policy

-Q-
Jun 10, 2008, 11:17 AM

AT&T: All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.

IPhone 3G: AT&T Memo to Retail Managers Shows iPhone 3G Policy
Might have missed it, but I didn't see any language that addresses how a current iPhone customer in the middle of their contract will be handled. Are they extending contracts by 2 years (making it 3 years before I'm done with AT&T) or are they replacing my old plan with the new, so I'm only 2 years away from contract expiration?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Might have missed it, but I didn't see any language that addresses how a current iPhone customer in the middle of their contract will be handled. Are they extending contracts by 2 years (making it 3 years before I'm done with AT&T) or are they replacing my old plan with the new, so I'm only 2 years away from contract expiration?
Your current contract is canceled and you are signed up for 2 more years from that date.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 12:46 PM

If the iPod Touch had GPS, I wouldn't bother with an iPhone.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

-Q-
Jun 10, 2008, 01:21 PM

Your current contract is canceled and you are signed up for 2 more years from that date.
Thanks. That makes it slightly more tolerable.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 02:42 PM

So now that AT&T ended the revenue sharing with Apple. Does that mean they'll start allowing corporate discounts on the iPhone voice plans?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 02:59 PM

Well, I guess it's now up to the carriers what they want to do. For example, O2 is offering the iPhone 3G for free.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 03:19 PM

Not true. From that link:

Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades.
So you have to qualify for an upgrade based on AT&T's policies. I'll have to look up what those are.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 03:39 PM

Hm, but then the AT&T iPhone FAQ page says this:

Originally Posted by http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp
Q. I just upgraded my phone recently. Are there any penalties or restrictions for upgrading to iPhone right away?
A. No. Everyone can upgrade to iPhone right away, you just need to add a Data Plan for iPhone (this may replace your current data plan but your voice plan will stay the same) and sign a new 2-year service contract. Discount eligibility for other devices will continue from the time of your current contract.

-Q-
Jun 10, 2008, 03:56 PM

Not true. From that link:

So you have to qualify for an upgrade based on AT&T's policies. I'll have to look up what those are.
There was a note in the link to the Memo that stated:

Note: When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch).
So it sounds like the above information was correct and that AT&T is allowing anyone to upgrade their phone during the launch of the 3G iPhone.

moep
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 04:06 PM

Tomtom porting their products to the iPhone is great but I can't wait for Nike to finally announce the new Sport Kit for the iPhone. So many possibilities!
The HRM-sensor should work with Bluetooth (which reminds me, is there any news on the state of Bluetooth in 2.0?), GPS takes care of speed and tracking. Maybe throw in a pace counter by using the accelerometer just for kicks. Or bike sensors to check speed, heart rate and cadence. And then sync all of that OTA in realtime so you can race against people on the other side of the planet.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Forum Links
Forum Rules