Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Unable to connect iMac to airport extreme n

Unable to connect iMac to airport extreme n
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 12:43 PM

I have an airport extreme connected to a MacPro via Ethernet and cable modem. In another room I have an iMac (intel). No problems networking in the past but I just updated to the latest airport firmware and the added a security password to the wireless network. Since doing that my iPhone has no problems picking up the network with wifi, but the iMac won't connect. The iMac detects the network and prompts me for the password. After entering it it says that it is unable to connect but I don't know why. My password must be correct or my iPhone wouldn't connect. I tried Airport utility on the iMac with no luck and reboted the iMac to windows. Windows network connection utility recognized the network but I still couldn't get on-line. Can someone provide a list of settings or changes to get the iMac reconnected?

thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 02:47 PM

Did you chose WEP?

Make sure you chose WPA2 Personal for encryption.

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 05:24 PM

Where do I do that on the iMac or the MacPro using airport utility?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2008, 05:57 PM

You do that in your Extreme, from whichever computer; I'd connect WIRED to do this setting change. Then follow these instructions from Apple.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules