Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trouble with new MBP i7

Trouble with new MBP i7
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2010, 10:34 AM

I have a 15" i7 MBP which is only a couple of months old. I ported everything over from my Mac pro and I have had several issues that won't go away and a few new ones that seem to be getting worse. The one change I made from stock is to remove the optical drive and install 2 ssd drives (OWC drives). The problems started (and continue) with updating software. I install updates, restart and everything seems fine. After shutting down, the next time I restart whatever updates I did are no longer in effect and all the suggested updates appear again in software updater. I have confirmed that the updates are taking, such as iTunes and Aperture, because I've used the software and confirmed the version. Its almost like Time machine is resetting the computer to some time before I updated, but I'm not using time machine. I just don't get how updates are being undone! There are other things that are being reset as well, such as system settings (power saving etc.).

My second issue is leaving the computer on or after putting it to sleep. If I let it go to sleep by leaving it or put it to sleep, I run intoa number of issues particularly with Finder. My dock might not come up, some software might not launch, the computer might freeze, etc. etc. I recall seeing a system update for MBs which supposedly dealt with sleep issues but I did the update. Of course it may have been undone!.

I think I should do a fresh install of OSX and reload all software. But does anyone of this sound like potential hardware issues? Anyone hear of these issues before or have any other suggested remedys?

Thanks!

It pisses me off because I have never had issues with any of my Macs going back to my powerbook 165c. I guess I should be thankful that I've gone this long.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2010, 11:39 AM

It could very well have been caused by the Migration. If you want to confirm it, start from a disk with a clean installation and verify that the problems no longer occur. I'd be willing to wager that's the source of the problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2010, 12:56 PM

Is it possible your HDDs are in read-only mode?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2010, 12:58 PM

Also,

Do you have Adobe CS installed?

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2010, 10:00 PM

I'll check my drives. I do have adobe cs4 installed. What is the issue with cs?

Tanny15
Banned
Nov 12, 2010, 01:08 AM

You must be encountering that problem if you don't have adobe installed to you system....check the compatibility and get it installed.....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2010, 02:18 PM

Well, in my experience, Adobe CS4 and CS5 can cause a whole host of issues that are otherwise mind-numbingly frustrating when the connection between them isn't obvious. Especially if you did any sort of data migration from one machine to another. If your drive permissions and ownership are correct, I would reinstall Adobe CS4 and updates.

Forum Links
Forum Rules