Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > September Music Event

September Music Event
Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2011, 09:43 PM

OK so the september music event is more likely going to be the september iPhone event, which as the iPod's market continues to cave in on itself. So what I'm asking is, what do you think Apple's going to unveil?

iPhone 5? That's a given.
iOS 5? Also a given.
iPad 3? I highly doubt it.
Apple TV upgrade? That'd be nice, but my guess is that it'd be more of a software upgrade than a hardware one. That is unless they plan on letting app developers do something with it.
iCloud is obviously going to be featured, maybe even some new features announced, but probably not.

My big question is with the iPod. Does it even make sense to keep calling it an iPod touch? Who owns the freaking iPod Classic? iPod touch as a name made sense when it was introduced because a small pocketable touch screen device was revolutionary ... now teenagers on the bus have them. I think it'd make a lot more sense to get people just calling them iPods ... not to mention it'd tone down all the morons who call em iTouches.

Do you think the Nano will get an upgrade? I get the feeling that the current Nano is kinda the red headed step child of the family. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone on a bus using them or anything like that. Most of what I see are people with old click wheel iPod nanos, and a lot of iPod touches, iPhones and some el cheapo third party shuffle competitors. Not to mention a lot of BlackBerry and Android owners who use their phones for music. (Though it's just as common to see those people pull out some form of iPod)

Do you think the nano's gonna get a meaningful upgrade? People have talked about putting a camera in it, but I think at that point a camera's just plain gimmicky.
Speaking of cameras though, it would be nice to be able to take something better than a 1.3 MP shot on the iPod touch. Not that people really buy them for the camera ... still.

So what are your predictions for the September event?

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2011, 07:50 AM

wow, that's a bundle of questions. i'll take the iPod Classic one. i recently purchased an iPod Classic, and it is installed in my car as a music server. audio is ripped lossless, and the car's cable allows me to access the playlists, artists, etc. on the head unit. a unique feature of the classic is the capacity to store lots of lossless audio, but also, it still allows charging via firewire (which my car's cable provides charge by) without purchasing a third party converter (less cables/devices in my armrest). i only remove it to sync, and i have an extensive audio collection available to me while traveling.
one post closer to five stars

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 09:15 AM

^^^ Yeah, that's probably going to be the main use for iPod Classics in the future.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
wow, that's a bundle of questions. i'll take the iPod Classic one. i recently purchased an iPod Classic, and it is installed in my car as a music server. audio is ripped lossless, and the car's cable allows me to access the playlists, artists, etc. on the head unit. a unique feature of the classic is the capacity to store lots of lossless audio, but also, it still allows charging via firewire (which my car's cable provides charge by) without purchasing a third party converter (less cables/devices in my armrest). i only remove it to sync, and i have an extensive audio collection available to me while traveling.
I'm a bit lost. Are you saying your car's built in ipod cable uses firewire to charge? I thought all firewire remnants were taken out of ipod cables years ago. I installed an aftermarket ipod connecter into my car and now I have a single cable with a dock connecter. Not so many cables at all.

While I would like to say that Apple will keep selling the classic as long as it is profitable that just isn't the Apple way. When they decide that music can be delivered via the cloud and therefore storage space doesn't matter they will kill it off.

Personally, I would like to see the shuffle and nano combined. I think the product line would be better served by a single entry level, durable, mp3 player and they have almost the same form factor as it is.

Salty: I also get annoyed when people ask me about the "iTouch".
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 09:36 AM

The iPod classic does NOT support FireWire charging. It supports the deprecated non-spec USB charging without handshake.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2011, 10:07 AM

iPhone 5, which will be more of an incremental improvement
More cloud features, including music streaming
More iOS 5 features that tie in with the new iPhone
Price drop on iPods, no new features (iPod Touch = starts at $199 / iPod Nano = $99)
Something to draw attention to the iPad for Xmas, Maybe new colors, Maybe a storage bump, Maybe consolidation of the two 3G iPads into one model, Maybe a price drop (doubtful)

I know a lot of people with classics. People like all of the storage. I know one person with a new Nano. I'm not a fan of the form factory. I think it 100% style over substance.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Jun 23, 2011, 10:33 AM

I'll still use an iPod Classic as the music server for my car. And will for as long as they're sold.

My personal theory is that the iPod Touch and the iPhone will get closer and closer in form and functions until they ultimately merge and become one device. It's an iPod Touch until you add a SIM card and then you have a phone. Not likely to happen at the music event in September, tho'.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I'll still use an iPod Classic as the music server for my car. And will for as long as they're sold.

My personal theory is that the iPod Touch and the iPhone will get closer and closer in form and functions until they ultimately merge and become one device. It's an iPod Touch until you add a SIM card and then you have a phone. Not likely to happen at the music event in September, tho'.
So maybe we should be asking ourselves why the SIM card costs $400? Why is an unlocked iphone so much more expensive than an ipod touch?

For all of you that use the ipod classic in your car I'm curious to know whether usability has ever been an issue? Doesn't it take a long time to navigate the menus? I'm not saying a touch interface is better, just that less content and playlists are easier.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
So maybe we should be asking ourselves why the SIM card costs $400? Why is an unlocked iphone so much more expensive than an ipod touch?
Right now, there are significant technical differences:

* radio module
* real GPS functionality
* two microphones
* better camera

*IF* Apple merged the iPhone and iPod Touch and made them the same hardware, it would mean that iPod Touch users *MUST* subsidize the iPhone, or the iPod Touch would become prohibitively expensive (because you're buying hardware that's not being used).

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Right now, there are significant technical differences:

* radio module
* real GPS functionality
* two microphones
* better camera

*IF* Apple merged the iPhone and iPod Touch and made them the same hardware, it would mean that iPod Touch users *MUST* subsidize the iPhone, or the iPod Touch would become prohibitively expensive (because you're buying hardware that's not being used).

-t
Oh come on. You aren't really telling me that those differences warrant a $400 price difference? Next you will tell me the iphone headphones with the inline mic and volume buttons are responsible for the cost. I also think there would be volume savings and supply chain savings to have a single device.

I would be happy to pay $250 for an ipod touch that had a sim slot knowing that if I ever wanted to I could use it abroad or activate it at home.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 12:13 PM

Oh come on. You aren't really telling me that those differences warrant a $400 price difference? Next you will tell me the iphone headphones with the inline mic and volume buttons are responsible for the cost.
I was not making any statement whether I think it's justified or not.

I also think there would be volume savings and supply chain savings to have a single device.
Not significantly. At the volumes Apple is purchasing, any fixed cost that would give you economies of scale are already minute. Welcome to mass manufacturing, where 95% of the cost are variable.

I would be happy to pay $250 for an ipod touch that had a sim slot knowing that if I ever wanted to I could use it abroad or activate it at home.
I bet you would.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I was not making any statement whether I think it's justified or not.
The implication was that the significant technical differences warrants an increase in price. I didn't mean to attack you personally, I just find it so hard to believe that those differences are really that significant. I think isuppli says the parts for the iphone 4 are under $200. That is either a lot of markup for R&D, licensing, packaging, etc. or they are giving away the ipod touch at a great price.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 12:39 PM

The implication was that the significant technical differences warrants an increase in price. I didn't mean to attack you personally, I just find it so hard to believe that those differences are really that significant. I think isuppli says the parts for the iphone 4 are under $200. That is either a lot of markup for R&D, licensing, packaging, etc. or they are giving away the ipod touch at a great price.
Personally, I think that the big price difference between the iPhone and iPod touch is not based on cost, but on profit margins. Apple makes (wants to make, and is able to make) a higher profit on the iPhone.

It's really hard to argue that the iPhone is too expensive. There is so much competition, you can always get an Android phone if you don't like the Apple prices. I think the iPhone's features and performance justify the high price.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 12:46 PM

The price over the iPod Touch:

16 gb entry level
Antenna
Triband transceiver
Much better camera
Much better display (no, it's not the same)
Bigger battery
Microphones
Noise reduction chip & tech license
A metric crapton of licenses and patents and testing.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 06:33 PM

Is the iPod touch display actually different from the iPhone 4?

And I suspect the iPod touch will get the same hardware bumps as the iPhone 5.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Is the iPod touch display actually different from the iPhone 4?

And I suspect the iPod touch will get the same hardware bumps as the iPhone 5.
Yes, it is a completely different display. Different manufacturer and it's not IPS.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2011, 07:14 PM

Oh, that's a shame. I should look at them in person, I love my iPhone 4's display. I would love to get an IPS desktop monitor. It's hard to actually find one though. I might just buy a 1080 32 inch TV with an IPS panel.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2011, 08:08 PM

Oh, that's a shame. I should look at them in person, I love my iPhone 4's display. I would love to get an IPS desktop monitor. It's hard to actually find one though. I might just buy a 1080 32 inch TV with an IPS panel.
There are tons of IPS monitors (here's an old list). 1920x1080 isn't going to be fun with 32"...

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2011, 03:01 AM

I'm also heavily hoping we see iMessage tied to iChat.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 03:20 AM

iMessage and FaceTime will replace iChat.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2011, 03:50 AM

I realize that. Though at the same time I have to wonder if FaceTime and iChat and iMessage won't be merged. I mean, it seems as if iChat isn't limited just to it's AIM roots, given the addition of Yahoo! messenger support. So my guess is we'll see an iMessage account option added. It would be super nice to be able to do iMessages from my keyboard. Even ad the ability to send text messages from within OS X through your iPhone. That would be freaking killer, and it would be enough to make me switch to iChat from Adium.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 02:24 PM

Even ad the ability to send text messages from within OS X through your iPhone. That would be freaking killer, and it would be enough to make me switch to iChat from Adium.
Ah yes - the way you USED to be able to before 10.5…

I'd still like to kill somebody over the fact that they removed the ability to receive/send SMS messages via a Bluetooth-tethered cellphone.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2011, 07:05 PM

What? That used to be an option? Bloody hell!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 07:07 PM

Address Book used to do it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2011, 07:20 PM

Yep. There was a little button that allowed you to SMS numbers via your mobile, provided it was connected with Bluetooth.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2011, 01:01 AM

Oh, speaking of Bluetooth. Reports seem to suggest there's a secret bluetooth chip in the ATV.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 05:00 AM

Facetime camera for AppleTV.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2011, 06:12 AM

via Bluetooth?

I think not.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 06:44 AM

USB then.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
USB then.
Two end-devices, running a b-socket into a b-socket, with no controller?

I think not.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 07:58 AM

Oh, speaking of Bluetooth. Reports seem to suggest there's a secret bluetooth chip in the ATV.
No surprise. The iPod touches have had Bluetooth for quite a while before iOS gave access to Bluetooth itself. Could be for a plethora of things on tv.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 08:29 AM

I just think adding a facetime camera to the ATV is almost a no brainer. Apple keep calling it a hobby but with the addition of airplay, a facetime camera facility would make it into a useful office gadget for videoconferencing on top of the already handy presentation features.

Imagine if the ATV had a camera. You could put one on every screen in your house and turn it into a videophone. (It could also double as a mirror). Even cooler, get a facetime call on your iPhone and have some kind of cool system for switching it from screen to screen. Some kind of facetime home server/router system. Now if you could transfer the call from your phone by pointing it at the desired screen and flicking it...

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2011, 01:25 AM

I think Bluetooth is gonna be used for Gaming on the Apple TV 3, though I see them changing the name to something like iBox or iSet or something. iProd?

I'm betting they'll throw in an A5 plus the new GFX processor and create a stellar casual gaming platform over night that will have Nintendo, Sony and MS crapping their pants. Not to mention adding a FaceTime camera plus 1080p output.

I think it'd also be pretty awesome if Apple tried working with cable companies as a set top box manufacturer. They already contract out to Motorola and company, I think it'd be a chance for Apple to make a pretty premium product.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2011, 11:57 AM

I think it'd also be pretty awesome if Apple tried working with cable companies as a set top box manufacturer. They already contract out to Motorola and company, I think it'd be a chance for Apple to make a pretty premium product.
I would definitely pay a premium to have an Apple set top box. The one I have made by scientific atlanta has one of the worst interfaces I've ever encountered in a digital product. It won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Forum Links
Forum Rules