Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Forums: Safari 'virus' panic turns out to be simple adware

Forums: Safari 'virus' panic turns out to be simple adware
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 24, 2015, 06:08 PM

This week in the MacNN forums, Fresh-Faced Recruit "Pootie Tang" raised a red flag over an incident they had with Safari that they believe to be caused by a virus, thought they quickly discovered it was just easily-removable adware. Mac Elite "And.reg" has been having bizarre issues with trying to get iCloud keychain working, and has turned to the forums looking for advice.

Earlier this week, Mac Elite "rotuts" turned to the forums looking for help figuring out a problem with the icon image for movies on the iPad, and hasn't yet found a solution. Reader "l008com" is looking for a new non-Apple mouse after burning through a stockpile of old Apple "Pro" models that he had, and is wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Forum-goers continue to discuss the new MacBook that was announced a couple of weeks ago, in the thread titled "MacBook Returns".
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 25, 2015 at 01:36 AM. )

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2015, 08:47 PM

Safari IS a virus !
( Last edited by unicast reversepath; Mar 24, 2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: capricious changing of wording)
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Jerry Fritschle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2015, 10:43 PM

The above witticism notwithstanding, this is just a sensationalist headline. Reading through the forum, the user just managed to install some adware, and it was resolved. Per usual, the term "virus" was used loosely. Move along, nothing to see here :-)

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2015, 02:04 AM

Yes, I altered the headline to be more accurate. The actual forum thread titles are created by the users, of course, so they often contain inaccurate terminology depending on their experience level. To a lot of users, anything odd that happens on their computers is a "virus" in the same sense that any sort of photocopier is a "Xerox."

As for Safari: I use it all day every day for my job, and I'm not aware of a better browser for the Mac. I'm aware that freshly-installed ones are often faster (for a while), or that a certain data miner comes with its own version of Flash (whether that's a plus or not is arguable), but I have yet to discover one that is noticeably better than Safari, though I do keep a second one (Firefox) around to check periodically (and FF is very good, don't get me wrong -- it's just not so much better that I feel any need to switch to it full-time, plus updating it so often is a pain).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

cashxx
Mar 25, 2015, 03:04 PM

Thats all use as well is safari. Others have there own problems.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 26, 2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
Safari IS a virus !
What's Safari...? just kidding

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2015, 06:46 PM

It's like Firefox, but good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules