Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it smart to buy an icebook these days?

Is it smart to buy an icebook these days?
Doerak-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 05:24 AM

I'd really get my hands on an iBook. But I am currently using a iMac DVSE for about 2 years. This baby runs at 400 mhz. If I would buy an iBook nuw I would get a 500 mhz for 1000$ more (assuming I can sell my iMac for $700) That's 100 mhz more in 2 years! And i don't want to pay for a cumputer which is 20 % faster i want a computer which is 2 times as fast with new better hardware! So I am hoping for an iBook upgrade to at least 700 mhz or so... Does anyone see this happen before the end of the year?

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2001, 06:09 AM

I wouldn't be aurprised to see a speed bump announced around Paris (not in Paris obviously as Hardware won't be announced (yeah right) maybe a different colour (more Graphitey) but would only expect speed hike to around 600 mhz, 700 mhz would be nice , but can't see it straight away.

I am in the same boat in terms of Hardware, but would consider upping to an iBook anytime due to one factor, portability!!. You get all the features of your iMac with a bit more power, more connectivity I'd swap now if anyone listening
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

<siggy>
Sep 1, 2001, 06:45 AM

three things about your imac dvse:

1. have you maxed it out on ram?
2. are your favorite apps running well on your os? (8x or 9x)
3. does it run well as a whole?

if you answer yes to all of the above, you've really no need to "upgrade" to the icebook. frankly, the imac is a beautiful machine and the model you have has what's lacking on the current imac models--dvd playback. the beauty of our apple companions are their longevity. (which, i've stated before is grossly underrated.)

the really only one caveat, as griggsy states: portability.

in fact, up until my present ice'd situation, i'd only ever used desktops. the laptops i tried no where close in performance.

but, amazingly, as i sit here in bed, typing this via airport (whose signal i've yet to lose anywhere around the house), with imovie and itunes on a machine that's superbly equipped and absolutely better designed than any portable i've ever handled (and better than many desktops i've worked on), i just couldn't imagine the mobile computing experience would be so fun.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2001, 08:21 AM

If you want 2X speed improvement on iBook compared to 400mhz iMac, you would need something around 900-1Ghz G3 since notebooks are usually slower. If not, you could go for 800mhz G4. There is no way that you are going to get a notebook 2x faster than your iMac this year.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>If you want 2X speed improvement on iBook compared to 400mhz iMac, you would need something around 900-1Ghz G3 since notebooks are usually slower. If not, you could go for 800mhz G4. There is no way that you are going to get a notebook 2x faster than your iMac this year.</STRONG>
I have to second this notion. I too am waiting for something that'll give me more bang than what i currently have (blue g3 350, 256/20GB). Neither the ibook or powerbook justify the cost at the moment for me to replace my desktop. Portability will be important to me soon, but i can hold off to get a little more for my money, especially with OSX being the operating system of choice on my next computer. I have the patience to wait for something a little better than what is available now. But as the standard advice goes, if you need something now, buy it now. Otherwise wait with me!

stupidfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 11:59 AM

mike one: what's up with the bonsai?

By the way, the iMac has got a 100 MHz system bus, while the iBook has only a 66 MHz one. As I used to own a lime (was that its name?) iMac DV and now am a proud owner of an iBook dual USB, I can only give you one advice: if you decide to switch to the iBook, get yourself a good mouse, 'cause it will save you lot of pain, suffering and cursing.

Have Fun!

<font color = red> Artificial Eden </font>
[color : red] Artificial Eden [/color]
[color : yellow] Deep Within... [/color]

no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2001, 05:03 PM

I was in the same boat as you just last week. I own an iMac DVSE 400MHz and was considering the purchase of a new iBook. Actually, last Tuesday I ordered one, and it arrived today around noon.

Here's why I decided to order one: Portability. That's the bottom line. I'm in college and I wanted a laptop to take to class, to the library, etc. I plan on using it until I graduate in May, at which point it'll probably be on eBay. Since I already have DVD and CD-RW on the iMac, I went with the CD-ROM model. I'm comfortable with that.

That's just how my situation played out. Best of luck in making a decision for yourself!

el-nicko
--
nick

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2001, 12:21 PM

if you can, try to hold out until the end of sept. if new ibook's haven't been released then, then yeah, go out and get one.

is it the perfect notebook? nope. does it come close? yeah...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2001, 06:26 PM

Wait for the iceBook to get a G4, because the G3-era is over soon.

I'm thinking about buying an iceBook as well, but I've got a Rev. A iBook (300 MHz, 3 GB (!)). It's definitely fast enough for OS X, but only with 160 MB RAM. The iceBook is nice, only battery life could be a little longer.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2001, 09:14 PM

I was in a slightly different position - had (still do - typing on it now) a beige G3 333 I got in Oct. 98. The iBook had a bunch of things over my beige, best of all being:
- Rage 128 vs. Rage Pro
- 500 MHz G3 vs. 333 Mhz G3
- DVD vs. CD
- OS X pre-loaded (a convenience thing)

Overall I figured the upgrade was a decent enough speed increase for me - but then, I haven't spoke of AirPort or portability. AirPort is absolutely awesome. If you can get it, do! I really couldn't care much about a slightly speed-bumped version (which is vaporware right now) - the current version of AirPort is just plain amazing. Seriously, surfing the web from your couch and the kitchen table will spoil you like nothing else (save getting a cable/dsl connection for the first time) .

As for your situation, I would wait on the iBook only because your iMac is doing a good-enough job already (not a huge processor or video card upgrade) . If you're planning to ditch the iBook at the end of the year, that also would seem to lend itself to just not getting it in the first place - get a better iBook or G4 at that time (I disagreeing with a previous poster and saying G3s will stay in the iBook for quite awhile longer, one reason being their low power consumption and bigger MHz numbers) .

Of course, if you think the new iBook will be a huge benefit to you (taking notes in college is one of the best things I could imagine using it for - I personally love the keyboard, except for the weirdly-placed trackpad) . If the benefit would change your life for the better...

<siggy>
Sep 6, 2001, 04:26 AM

all together now.

air-port..
air-port.
air-port...

ice
combo
384 MB
20 Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules