Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is Mountain Lion Apple's Vista?

Is Mountain Lion Apple's Vista?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2012, 02:47 PM

Ya, that polished piece of uncertainty MS OS from the mid 2000's

Law School Ls: Is Mountain Lion Apple's Vista?

Are we going to take it laying down? Or are we going to ask Tim to not uproot us from the one true, pro-worthy desktop OS?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 02:58 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 03:01 PM

The answer, btw., is "Apple's what? Oh, right...we'll tell you what we think when we get back from the bank and stop laughing."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 03:02 PM

M$ wishes Vista was as good as ML. It would have never gotten that bad rap.

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 03:21 PM

"seawch?"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
"seawch?"
Click the links.

I've had the Google results page set to "Elmer Fudd" for years.

"Mowe wesuwts fwom" = instant gratification.

It's the simple things.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 09:05 PM

Answer, no. Vista was complained about because it ran poorly and was irritating as hell. Mountain Lion is pretty well the same as Lion with a few new pas, a renamed calendar, and notification centre.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 05:10 AM

Why is no-one pointing out that Mountain Lion is still a dev preview? When its released and it makes you want to kill yourself when you use it (because its genuinely that horrible, not because you are an uptight **** looking for the slightest thing to complain about), then we can start comparing it to Vista. Until then, this is no different to Consumer Reports trying to get free PR and page views by moaning that a higher performance device runs a couple of degrees warmer than the slower one used to in the same case.

I feel I might be wise in qualifying my statement above about being an uptight ****. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, in this thread or elsewhere. Its a generalisation.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2012, 06:15 AM

The premise of this thread is weird, if anything, Mountain Lion is Apple's Windows 7. Some parts of Lion clearly need polish and it seems Mountain Lion will does just that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2012, 08:45 AM

The author of the original article linked to in this thread must have been taking his stupid pills and dumb capsules the day he wrote that. He criticized Lion (not Mountain Lion) because it still had Rosetta, claiming that backward compatibility plagued Lion with problems. He didn't even mention that Mountain Lion gets rid of Rosetta. And his point was some nebulous attempt at a comparison to Vista and its backward compatibility choices.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 AM

Lion doesn't have Rosetta does it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Mar 22, 2012, 11:35 AM

No, it doesn't. That's a very weird piece. He's wrong about the default for Gatekeeper as well.

The problem with Vista was that MS bit off more than it could chew by forcing three huge upgrades into one humongous update of the OS - eventually ending up shipping one of them for XP and dropping another completely. Mountain Lion is the opposite - nothing big, only little fixes. I don't get the logic.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 01:23 PM

I don't think the logic extends any further than "slagging off Apple gets page views".

Seems to be a lot of this going around. Consumer Reports seems to have learned this trick after antennagate.

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Seems to be a lot of this going around. Consumer Reports seems to have learned this trick after antennagate.
Yeah, tarnishing their own reputation in the process. I don't get it: getting short-term attention by destroying your reputation which you've worked to build for many, many years.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 06:20 PM

Some short-sighted suit that doesn't look past the number of hits and the resulting ad revenue, no doubt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 06:45 PM

Geez, if you want a sensationalist headline you should use Windows ME, not Vista.

Now THAT was a properly terrible OS.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2012, 09:59 PM

Mac OS X 10.0 was Apple's Vista. None of you fanboys can defend that OS

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Lion doesn't have Rosetta does it?
He doesn't even get the name right - he refers to it as "Rosetta Stone."

1000 monkeys, with 1000 blogs, typing forever...

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Copland was Apple's Longhorn. That much is true.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Oh, you mean OS X 10.0 Public Beta 2?

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2012, 04:37 PM

Aside from a few current bugs there's no way for Mountain Lion to be a bad OS, it's basically Lion with a few of the inconsistencies rubbed out. This isn't Vista where Microsoft was trying to do a whole new file system, graphics engine, and whatever the hell Azure was. This is taking an already incredibly successful OS, and building in a bit more iCloud integration, fixing a few annoyances, and calling it a day. There is barely anything to look forward to in Mountain Lion over Lion, it's a bump of an upgrade.

Vista was supposed to be awesome and amazing, Mountain Lion is just continuing on where Lion left off. You can't be disappointed with Mountain Lion because they're really avoided the hype with this release. Vista was the exact opposite.

P
Mar 28, 2012, 08:12 AM

Microsoft's model has been one big release and then one "point one" release with minor changes. It is these "point one" releases that are successful. They hide this by hiding the version numbers, but they are available if you look for them. Windows XP is Windows 5.1 - a new graphic shell and a nerfed Home version were the only additions to the big one, which was Windows 2000 - NT 5.0. Win 2k was in deep trouble before launch, and was saved by cutting the Home version and dropping compatibility with older games (this was added back after launch). Windows 7 is actually version 6.1 - check the kernel version number if you have a machine available - and has been much better received than the tragic Vista.

Apple used to do this with Classic OS, but much more rapidly, and then sort-of did the same with 10.1 and 10.6 after the two big bangs, but 10.7 and 10.8 both seem like small updates.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2012, 02:16 PM

How is Lion a small update? Snow Leopard changed TONS of things from Leopard under the hood, and then Lion shifted a lot of GUI paradigms and introduced a ton of changes. Mountain Lion is pretty evolutionary after Lion, but as far as the user could see Lion was a pretty big update.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 02:59 PM

The changes in Lion are largely superficial.

Snow Leopard brought huge changes beneath the bonnet.

P
Mar 31, 2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
How is Lion a small update? Snow Leopard changed TONS of things from Leopard under the hood, and then Lion shifted a lot of GUI paradigms and introduced a ton of changes. Mountain Lion is pretty evolutionary after Lion, but as far as the user could see Lion was a pretty big update.
So what's new in Lion? Mission Control is a minor UI change. They updated the OpenGL stack, which is nice. They finally finished implementing the ASLR they started in Leopard. Filesystem encryption is nice, but not revolutionary. Autosave/versions is probably the closest to a big feature, but it feels like a natural evolution of Time Machine. The rest is application features. None of this is on the level of what MS tired to do with Vista.

This is not s bad thing. It means that Apple has settled into a place where they don't have to change everything, but it's certainly easier than reinventing the wheel.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2012, 02:58 PM

Ham Sandwich
Apr 8, 2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by is not View Post

A lot of people felt that way after upgrading to Snow Leopard.

Then a lot of people felt that way about Snow Leopard after...

oh you get the idea.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2012, 03:47 PM

Really get the idea

Forum Links
Forum Rules