Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hinge weakness

Hinge weakness
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 03:28 PM

This happen to me the other week. Being right handed I often open and adjust the angle of my PB screen with my right hand only using the right hand corner of the screen. This must stress the hinges as the whole screen came off in my hand!! when the exposed hinges snapped.
Is this a weakness or should I be using both hands only, not that I'm rough with the machine.
Still on the good side Apple replaced the case thus fixing the drive which I had squashed a banana into by accident and jammed up! Nice service.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 05:57 PM

is that a Tibook? my friends got one and they seem to have much flimsier hinges than the Albooks (2 small ones rather than one long one)

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 31, 2004, 06:05 PM

What I wanna know is how you accidentally put a banana in the drive!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 06:19 PM

hahahahaha....

hmmm banana...........cd
banana...........cd
banana...........cd

can't see the similarity myself but hey, wot do i no!

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2004, 07:58 PM

banana is a cd drive has got to take the cake!

Do you have a pic of either the broken screen or erm... the banana in drive?

Burke
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2004, 08:20 PM

Banana in the drive...definitely some Axel Foley shenanigans.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 05:55 AM

Ok v. funny. Actually the accursed banana was in the bottom of my bag for a few days -eew- I shoved the Pb into the bag slot down and the over ripe fruit was squished into the slot thus proving that
a: I am careless with my powerbook
b: I never eat my fruit at lunch

That's my story and i AM sticking to it!!

and apple replaced it under warranty - way to go!

ps to the first poster yes it is a TiBook

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 07:33 AM

ok...maybe your forgiven...i left a banana in my college bag once luckily no laptop instances but i did get 2 week old decomposing banana over ALL my books. if you've never smelt 2 week old mashed banana i can tell you now it isn't nice!!!!

Back to the original subject of this thread though...as long as Apple replaced it under warranty not sure theres anything you can do about it. May be put your right hand at the top of the screen to pull it down and up rather than at the side. that should take some of the stress off the hinges. don't think you can do much else seeing as its a design problem

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 06:41 PM

To be fair to AS and dodo_nutter for their honesty, I've had my fair share of pretty funky leftover lunches inhabiting my laptop backpack for longer than intended too - though I make it a point to never mix compartments for storing hardware and the 'wet stuff'

That said, my supervisor and a couple of friends have the TiBook. Though the hinge feels slightly flimsier than the AlBook, I don't think the force you apply with adjusting the screen using one hand should have such a shearing effect on them hinges that you can rip the screen off. Unless you are whipping the screen and book around by the screen corner, that little accident should be a one off...

Good luck with your TiBook and remember to eat enough fruit!

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

yeah...and actually remember to EAT IT!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules