Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Feature request: Checklists

Feature request: Checklists
prymus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 07:53 PM

Hi all!

Noob here, and I haven't read *every* post in the forum, so apologies if this sounds familiar to anyone, but I have sent an email to Delicious Monster themselves and they didn't seem to recall anything similar, so here's the gist of my email to them:

*snip*
I am seriously considering the purchase of DL2 with the laser bluetooth scanner as I have huge collections of DVDs and CDs not to mention electronics! It seems just the tool for the job. One feature that I did not see, however, that I think would prove very useful even if only used once or twice would be checklists for parts of or the whole library.

Let me explain: I'll be moving soon and having to collect all my stuff and pack it into boxes and then unpack in the new place. I bet it's not too dissimilar to what most people do and I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if DL would give me a way to scan the whole library before and after the move to make sure I didn't miss anything?".

So it would be great if you guys could have a look at if this would be worth implementing... Possibly set up smart shelves as checklists? Optionally you could add packing into boxes etc which could then be used for storage! I mean, how many times have you stored something and possibly even labelled a box but then later have *no idea* which box a particular item is in?
*snip*

What d'ya guys think? Would anybody be interested?

Lucas

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 08:32 PM

Try this:

Create a smart shelf where Played / Viewed / Read is set to No.

As you're adding items to DL2, leave the played / read box unchecked and they will automatically appear in the smart shelf.

Now, as you're unpacking, when you locate an item from your collection, simply press shift + return and check the played / read box.

When you've located all your items, the smart shelf will be empty.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

prymus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 08:41 PM

Yes, I have thought about that, and it is a good way to use the current DL functionality to emulate what I'm talking about but there are two problems:

1) This messes around with the libraries played/viewed/read attributes
2) I have a pretty large library and doing this in front of my Mac would just take waaaaay longer than just re-scanning everything.

I was hoping for some native functionality like this that would preserve your library and its played/viewed/read counts and still let you fly with the scanner.

Thank you for the tip nonetheless, it's appreciated!

Lucas

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 09:10 PM

You're welcome!

I don't think DL2 allows adding multiple items of the same name (you can duplicate one once it's in DL2 however). When I've tried dragging items from Amazon onto DL2, if it's already in my library, nothing happens (although I think it displays that item in DL2, which, if it works the same way when scanning, might not be a bad thing as a checklist, since even though you don't want to use the played/viewed/read check box, you could use one of the others--"rare", etc.).

Not what you're looking for I know, hope you find a better solution.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

prymus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks again!

I think it's up to the developers to put in a Checklist feature of some sort really though being realistic, sounds like they have their hands full ironing out the bugs outta DL2 so I guess that might not happen for a while? Terry?...

We live in hope...

Lucas

Forum Links
Forum Rules