Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Original Dual-2G G5 and 30" Cinema Display, bad combo?

Original Dual-2G G5 and 30" Cinema Display, bad combo?
ojala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 07:33 AM

I recently upgraded my display to 30" Cinema Display and 6800 GT. The system is the original Dual 2 Ghz G5 from summer 2003.

The overall noise from the machine was fine before the upgrade (power supply swapped twice). However since the new 6800 GT, the normal fan noise has increased a bit but now the fans take "bursts" frequently, especially when doing something slightly graphics intensive or visiting a certain type of web pages.

In general I'm not very comfortable with the new noise level and when doing something intensive, the noise is definetly unacceptable.

Anything one could do about it? Are the current Dual G5's more suitable for the new 6800 graphics adapters?

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2005, 10:36 AM

Have you recently upgraded your system to 10.3.8? That update caused bursts of fan activity for many of the original DP G5s. A fix seems to be setting Processor Performance to Highest in the Energy Saver pref pane.

Chito
Senior User
Feb 23, 2005, 03:52 PM

I second Ron's opinion. I set my processor to highest after 10.3.8 turned my 2.0 into a howling wind machine. It's been quiet now for about a week. And my computer IS faster.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

sheer
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 05:48 PM

FWIW 6800GTs do run hot, at least 50 C when idle, so that fan is constantly buzzing away. Also think of the extra heat the 6800's putting in your case which *may* be contributing to triggering other fans.

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 02:30 AM

ojala

dont worry i get the same kinda stuff with my DP 2.5 30" Combo.
its a fact that im dope.

ojala  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 02:44 AM

The 10.3.8 update didn't change the behaviour but yesterday, after posting the message, I did change the Energy Saver setting from Automatic to Highest.

Since then noise from the machine has been pretty stable, no more "fan bursts". I'm not 100% satisfied with the noise level but it's much better now and I'll see over the next few days how much the fans bother me.

I'm running Hardware Monitor and it's showing the 6800GT chip at 51 C and the graphics case at 24 C. The PCI slot fan is constant at 49.8% (was around 30% with the previous 9600). I also tried to remove the PCI slot fan but it didn't change the noise noticeably.

Petri

Forum Links
Forum Rules